Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Old May 22nd 2006, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, by using Whirlpool's Plan Search function, I was able to get a list of more than dozen ISPs with no download limits or shaping.

You can click here for the results of my search.
I think they are all shaped. They certainly do in UK and from a random selection of those in your list they shape too. Take for example OzForces, when you drill in it states

'OzForces reserves the right to shape user's download rate to 64kbps until the end of the month if usage is considered by OzForces to adversely effect network performance'

Pacific internet is similar - 'is slowed to 128kbps during business hours 8am to 6pm local time Monday to Friday'

I suspect they all will, but can't be bothered clicking them all.

Totally unlimited is I imagine just too cost prohibitive. I nearly always hit my limit every month and get slowed down (in the UK).
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally unlimited here (Shift Reload) regularly download over 40gb and never been shaped
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Totally unlimited here (Shift Reload) regularly download over 40gb and never been shaped
Great, who is your ISP?
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.shiftreload.com.au/
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Hmmm, OK they're not shaping because it's pretty skinny to start. 256 or 512k.

I don't know much at all about Oz broadband providers, but are there any that don't shape on faster speeds or that offer faster than 1.5mbs with shaping?
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

iinet 24Mbps ADSL2+, 40Gb download limit then shaped for AUD79.99/month with no setup costs. I effectively get 13-15Mbps. It's really fast & I am happy with it.
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Hmmm, OK they're not shaping because it's pretty skinny to start. 256 or 512k.

I don't know much at all about Oz broadband providers, but are there any that don't shape on faster speeds or that offer faster than 1.5mbs with shaping?
Yeah but when you don't live in an ADSL 2+ area and have had 1.5mb up and down with excess download charges per mb, anything completely unlimited is great

512/512 isn't the fastest you can get no, but it is plenty fast enough for us
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Broadband Survey - Good Recommendations

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I think they are all shaped.
I think you will find that they're not.

They certainly do in UK and from a random selection of those in your list they shape too. Take for example OzForces, when you drill in it states

'OzForces reserves the right to shape user's download rate to 64kbps until the end of the month if usage is considered by OzForces to adversely effect network performance'

Pacific internet is similar - 'is slowed to 128kbps during business hours 8am to 6pm local time Monday to Friday'

I suspect they all will, but can't be bothered clicking them all.

Totally unlimited is I imagine just too cost prohibitive. I nearly always hit my limit every month and get slowed down (in the UK).
I have a fully unlimited connection here in the UK for £14.99 per month with Telewest Broadband. No shaping at all.

I found no reference to shaping on the Spacelink site, and I am pretty sure there will be others which don't shape your downloads.
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I found no reference to shaping on the Spacelink site, and I am pretty sure there will be others which don't shape your downloads.
Because they effectively are shaped already. My ISP warns me after excessive use and drops me to 2mb, then when I continue abusing I get dropped to 1mb and so forth, but only during peak time. These start at 256, 512 or 1.5. Now 1.5 isn't bad, but it's not good either and for £40 per month!

Are broadband costs generally this high in Oz?
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
iinet 24Mbps ADSL2+, 40Gb download limit then shaped for AUD79.99/month with no setup costs. I effectively get 13-15Mbps. It's really fast & I am happy with it.

Yehp I'm with IInet, most of the netheads on Whirlpool reckon it's the best one out there.

Speeds with IInet start at 1.5 mbps, medium users are considered 40 gigs, I pay 69 bucks per month, but that includes a voip telephone line or 2nd phone line. Only negative is you have to have your main phone line with them, which actually goes through aapt for long distance. So not too much of a problem, total cost for Package 99 bucks per month for 2 phone lines and high speed net. Plus voip to uk at 5 cents per minute or all calls around Aussie at 10 cents local or Long Distance. Or unlimited, to the UK, on the main phone line for 2.50 Aud for as long as you want.

Still waiting for ADSL2 (24 mbps) to come into my area, IInet claim they will switch me over for the same price automatically.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 22nd 2006 at 6:50 am.
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

That looks more like it. Will check them out.

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Still waiting for ADSL2 (24 mbps) to come into my area, IInet claim they will switch me over for the same price automatically.
Because iinet are based over here it looks like they have done Perth first. We're nearly 30km's from the city & we have it so I'm happy.
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Because iinet are based over here it looks like they have done Perth first. We're nearly 30km's from the city & we have it so I'm happy.

Even at the comparative slow speed of 1.5 mbps, its the the source that slows down the connection. Very rarely do I find a site that allows me to download at full speed.

Where do you find a site that allows 8 mbps download ?

Mind you it's great having such a large download allowance, I now use the following site for all music listening in this household...

http://www.di.fm/
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Even at the comparative slow speed of 1.5 mbps, its the the source that slows down the connection. Very rarely do I find a site that allows me to download at full speed.

Where do you find a site that allows 8 mbps download ?

Mind you it's great having such a large download allowance, I now use the following site for all music listening in this household...

http://www.di.fm/
Utilise pipelining in your browser and you'll notice one hell of an improvement. Hammers the web servers, but it's way quicker.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
Utilise pipelining in your browser and you'll notice one hell of an improvement. Hammers the web servers, but it's way quicker.

I just had a quick look around in the advanced section of firefox for Pipelining, only thing I know of that makes pages faster is turning off or reducing the image content. Unfortuantly for me I dont know how to do what you suggest ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.