Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Hi everyone.
We are in Pimpama and our local telephone exchange is the Ormeau one. Now, it is capable of getting ADSL (woo big deal), but can't get ADSL 2. I also can't get cable broadband, so wondered what the people who were using the Ormeau exchange thought of the speeds. Apparently you can get up to 8 Mbps download and 384 upload. This sounds fast, but I wonder how many people are actually obtaining this as opposed to the bog standard 1.5 mbps and 256k upload. The reason I ask is that my partner works from home so needs constant fast connection and also we play online games such as Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. Can anyone confirm if they're using this and what the speed is like? Thanks in advance.
Tracy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Speeds in Ormeau Exchange

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hi everyone.
We are in Pimpama and our local telephone exchange is the Ormeau one. Now, it is capable of getting ADSL (woo big deal), but can't get ADSL 2. I also can't get cable broadband, so wondered what the people who were using the Ormeau exchange thought of the speeds. Apparently you can get up to 8 Mbps download and 384 upload. This sounds fast, but I wonder how many people are actually obtaining this as opposed to the bog standard 1.5 mbps and 256k upload. The reason I ask is that my partner works from home so needs constant fast connection and also we play online games such as Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. Can anyone confirm if they're using this and what the speed is like? Thanks in advance.
Tracy
Paul&Nic are in Ormeau and can only get dial up at the moment and it's driving Paul mad - he has two teenage kids wanting to use MSN - don't ask him about broadband
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

LOL I know how he feels! I have been told that I can get the ADSL which is better than dialup at least, but not bloody much. Especially when you've gone from 10 mbps in the UK. I have access at work and I have wireless over a 3G network at home, but this isn't enough for multiple computers and gaming. It's pretty ridiculous really that the exchange isn't ADSL 2. It covers a HUGE area and is one of the fastest growing areas in Australia!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.
Tracy
Don't hold your breath. We have the Amnet ADSL2+ 24 Mb service in Shenton Park and only get 5700 Mb dl (which is within the Amnet "acceptable" service).

Mark
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

OMG.. that is so rubbish! I can't believe that... god it's shocking isn't it. Hopefully things will get a bit of a kick up the backside soon, but it's not very likely. So you're paying for the ADSl 2+ at 24mbps and only getting 5700.. ouch.

Originally Posted by mbike
Don't hold your breath. We have the Amnet ADSL2+ 24 Mb service in Shenton Park and only get 5700 Mb dl (which is within the Amnet "acceptable" service).

Mark
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

OMG.. that is so rubbish! I can't believe that... god it's shocking isn't it. Hopefully things will get a bit of a kick up the backside soon, but it's not very likely. So you're paying for the ADSl 2+ at 24mbps and only getting 5700.. ouch.
Isn't the 24 a theotical maximum which reduces according to other factors (distance from exchange, etc)?

No fun if you have bought into the plan expecting to get those kinds of speeds I guess ... I bet the advertising doesn't state this too clearly either ...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Isn't the 24 a theotical maximum which reduces according to other factors (distance from exchange, etc)?

No fun if you have bought into the plan expecting to get those kinds of speeds I guess ... I bet the advertising doesn't state this too clearly either ...
that's what i was going to say... you've no guarantee of speed
i count myself lucky to get 12mbps and i'm about a klick from the exch
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:21 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I think you have to live in the exchange to get that speed

Here is a graph
http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm

Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

So do you guys think it's worth signing up for the 8 mbps service on ADSL then or going for the lower cost 1.5 mbps which I'm likely to only get anyway? I like many km away from the exchange as far as I can tell. Ormeau seems like ages away from Pimpama. Well not ages, but pretty far for a phone exchange.
Some of these 8mpbs services are going to cost over $120 a month! That's for high maximum downloads though. Actually that's also a good question. Say I wanted to download at least 8 or 9 hour long shows a month, maybe 30 or more mp3s, check email every day, browse websites constantly (for work) and even do some videochatting. What sort of download capacity should I be looking at? Is 60 gb enough?
Thanks
Tracy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:43 am

So do you guys think it's worth signing up for the 8 mbps service on ADSL then or going for the lower cost 1.5 mbps which I'm likely to only get anyway? I like many km away from the exchange as far as I can tell. Ormeau seems like ages away from Pimpama. Well not ages, but pretty far for a phone exchange.
Some of these 8mpbs services are going to cost over $120 a month! That's for high maximum downloads though. Actually that's also a good question. Say I wanted to download at least 8 or 9 hour long shows a month, maybe 30 or more mp3s, check email every day, browse websites constantly (for work) and even do some videochatting. What sort of download capacity should I be looking at? Is 60 gb enough?
Thanks
Tracy
have you used whirlpool to see what's available?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gedge
have you used whirlpool to see what's available?
Hiya,
Yeah I've had a good look through it and made a few notes on possible service providers. Don't want to be paying for the 8 mbps one if theres no chance I'll get near that though.
Also dont want to pay for 80gb of usage a month when I'll only really need around 40 or whatever. I reckon probably 60gb a month would be enough.
Loathe the thought of going with Telstra so trying to avoid them. Weirdly DoDO is saying that I can't get ADSL on the exchange even though everyone else is. I'd have been interested in going with Dodo as well. Weird.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.
Tracy
Hi, we're in Ormeau and we've got wireless broadband with airweb. We have found them excelent, and theres obviously different packages you can sign up to. It might be worth checking them out.

http://www.airwebconnect.com.au/
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:52 am

Hiya,
Yeah I've had a good look through it and made a few notes on possible service providers. Don't want to be paying for the 8 mbps one if theres no chance I'll get near that though.
Also dont want to pay for 80gb of usage a month when I'll only really need around 40 or whatever. I reckon probably 60gb a month would be enough.
Loathe the thought of going with Telstra so trying to avoid them. Weirdly DoDO is saying that I can't get ADSL on the exchange even though everyone else is. I'd have been interested in going with Dodo as well. Weird.
yeah i scanned their forums earlier for your location, there isn't very much posted.. perhaps you should sign up and have an ask, there maybe someone who can give you an idea of the sorts of speeds they are getting
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:55 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Very expensive if you use over a few gig

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi, we're in Ormeau and we've got wireless broadband with airweb. We have found them excelent, and theres obviously different packages you can sign up to. It might be worth checking them out.

http://www.airwebconnect.com.au/
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:58 am

I have used aanet now for a while and find them very good value.

Hiya,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.