Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband-recommendations + SKYPE

Broadband-recommendations + SKYPE

Old Dec 26th 2005, 7:53 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Broadband-recommendations + SKYPE

Can any/everyone advise the best value for money Broadband. I shall be swapping from dial up with Prfimus (and lock out every few minutes) to Broadband and am thinking of including the 'using the computer to phone system' whatever that is called.

Go talk are offering a package of these two systems but I don't know whether it would be better to use another Broadband and telephone line service provider and use Skype which is free.????

Any first hand knowledge of the goods and bads please.

At present I pay about £50 month for line rental and dial up including 50 free local calls. But I spend most of my time ******* about the crap service on the internet.

Thanks - thats all folks!!!!
Old Dec 26th 2005, 7:56 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband-recommendations + SKYPE

Originally Posted by yafm
Can any/everyone advise the best value for money Broadband. I shall be swapping from dial up with Prfimus (and lock out every few minutes) to Broadband and am thinking of including the 'using the computer to phone system' whatever that is called.

Go talk are offering a package of these two systems but I don't know whether it would be better to use another Broadband and telephone line service provider and use Skype which is free.????

At present I pay about £50 month for line rental and dial up including 50 free local calls. But I spend most of my time ******* about the crap service on the internet.

www.westnet.com.au are excellent.

Skype is free skype user to skype user but small charge to make calls computer to landline. www.skype.com
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:51 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid limited download packages (400Mb pcm sounds lots but wasn't enough for us). Avoid Big Pond.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 7:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My parents signed up for an AAPT package that gives 15Gb download cap, 1.5Mbps down/256k up, along with free local calls and a quota on other calls - costs $120 a month. We'll be signing up with either Exetel or OzForces when we move into our own home. I'm a heavy Internet user though (web designer) so the kind of unlimited package we're seeking may be more than you require.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:27 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Optus were quite good. 7Gb download is more than enough, for $59.95 a month, speed has been increased to 1.5 mbps. All very nice.

Except, they told me I could transfer it to my new house, and then discovered they couldn't. So no broadband here, but optus will still charge me $59.95 a month till they get telstra to update the exchange....

suck my

So I've got no option now, we are getting Foxtel. Telstra do cable broadband via Foxtel... so I'm gonna switch to Telstra :scared:

No choice

Last edited by A dogs life; Dec 27th 2005 at 8:30 am.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:29 am
Just Joined

kamm1 is on a distinguished road

Just a quick question. What is the cost of wireless modem/routers like over in Aus? Will it be worth taking mine over? Are there any limitations/differences to the ADSl connections?

M
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kamm1
Just a quick question. What is the cost of wireless modem/routers like over in Aus? Will it be worth taking mine over? Are there any limitations/differences to the ADSl connections?

M
Here's one example 108Mbit Wireless Router $139.00

Old Dec 27th 2005, 7:14 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Red face Re: Broadband-recommendations + SKYPE

Thanks - I only want an unlimited download supply and I am still interested in the chance of phone (free or cheaper) over the modem (or whatever it is they offer) Does anyone have knowledge of Go-talk's services (I have used them for years as a cheap phone call provider - in addition to my Primus service) and they have been very good. They offer:

To call to the UK with us is 2.8c per minute, with a flagfall of 39c as soon as the phone is answered. You can join on the Minimiser plan for your home phone service. The Line Rental charge is $26 a month and your local call charges are going to be 16.9c per call from January. To call STD with GOtalk is 11.9c per minute this has a cap of $1.89 to call anywhere in Australia for two hours anytime. The mobile call rate on Minimiser plan is 29.9c per minute.

For your broadband the price is $54.95 if you have your home phone with GOtalk. If you don't have your home phone with GOtalk this plan costs $69.95, this has a speed of 512 and is unlimited access. You can join on a 6, 12, 18 or 24 month contract. The connection fees are : six month contract $149 to join GOtalk Broadband, 12 month contract $99 to join GOtalk Broadband, 18 month contract $49 to join GOtalk Broadband, No connection fee to join for 24 months. You already have your modem and you don't need us to install so there aren't charges for this if you joined GOtalk.

Does this sound fair and good value??
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:28 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yafm

I have no experience of broadband in Oz (yet) but skype is excellent, as I have spoken to someone in Oz from the U.K, and it sounds like they are in the next room!

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Dec 27th 2005 at 8:53 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

kamm1 is on a distinguished road

so there is no delay when you make calls to Oz? How much does it SKYPE (or equivelent cost?
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:48 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamm1
so there is no delay when you make calls to Oz? How much does it SKYPE (or equivelent cost?
skype is free to other computers
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
skype is free to other computers
Or about 1p per minute from UK to Oz landline....

SS