Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband in Perth

Broadband in Perth

Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Broadband in Perth

Hi,

for those that know i was wondering how it works in Australia, like here in the UK I have to spend my £11 a month for a BT line that I dont use so that I can spend another £30 a month for the broadband package I want.

Does it work the same in OZ.

Any advice would be cool guys,

Phil
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:16 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband in Perth

Originally Posted by philnorris
Hi,

for those that know i was wondering how it works in Australia, like here in the UK I have to spend my £11 a month for a BT line that I dont use so that I can spend another £30 a month for the broadband package I want.

Phil
Pretty much... For broadband info checkout out Whirlpool...
Though if you're in Perth I wouldn't be looking much beyond iiNet...

HTH
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Phil
I agree with Rodders. iinet is based in Perth and a lot of places have 24Mb ADSL2+ for $70/month with a 60Gb cap.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:11 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

and I agree with both rodders and amazulu, iinet is great.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

This lot are good too:

http://www.amnet.com.au/
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:10 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
and I agree with both rodders and amazulu, iinet is great.
Only if you're lucky enough to get an ADSL2+ port. IInet are seriously deficant in WA in many many suburbs. High chances are you'll be put on a crap Telstra Wholesale ADSL1 plan with a really poor volume allowance.

And to the OP - you still need to spend $30 pm on a phone line as in the UK even if you dont use it.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Only if you're lucky enough to get an ADSL2+ port. IInet are seriously deficant in WA in many many suburbs. High chances are you'll be put on a crap Telstra Wholesale ADSL1 plan with a really poor volume allowance.

And to the OP - you still need to spend $30 pm on a phone line as in the UK even if you dont use it.
I didn't need to get an extra phone line for my broadband.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:11 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
I didn't need to get an extra phone line for my broadband.
No not an extra one. You need a minimum of 1 that the ADSL is to be provided on. Still an unnessary $30 if you ask me. Most of my voice calls are Mobile or SIP/Internet based.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:50 am
(It's not my real name)

No not an extra one. You need a minimum of 1 that the ADSL is to be provided on. Still an unnessary $30 if you ask me. Most of my voice calls are Mobile or SIP/Internet based.
Ah, OK. I get it.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Don't go Telstra, having told me that we could get ADSL2 in Mt Lawley (inner suburb) they then got me to sign up and then said the exchange was full and they were investigating whether i could get on it which would take a period of time, they would not give me any indication of how long 'a period was', so i said, could be a few days, a month, a year.. to which she replied yes to all of those! So she stuck me on a dial up modem for gods sake..

Anyway, we are moving to kalamunda.. anyone know if you can get broadband there and which would be the best company?

Cheers
Chris
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replys guys, I would only move to a suburb where I could get a decent broadband connection as I would probably need it for work. Plus I like to be able to use cheap web calls to phone home.

Thanks again guys

Phil
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:32 am
Back to WA! Yay!

Thanks for the replys guys, I would only move to a suburb where I could get a decent broadband connection as I would probably need it for work. Plus I like to be able to use cheap web calls to phone home.

Thanks again guys

Phil
Most suburbs in the metro allow ADSL1 up to 8Mbps which is ample for VoIP applications. Just its costly... Telstra and others here thing 256K is broadband and believe it or not sell packages with like 100Mb included per month at 56k for a few bucks a month. A decent connection of 1.5Mbps with a decent quota of 5Gb per mont - dont pay more than $50 pm and make sure its not Telstra or others (like Dodo) that charge in the quota for Uploads!

Originally Posted by chrispy
Don't go Telstra, having told me that we could get ADSL2 in Mt Lawley (inner suburb) they then got me to sign up and then said the exchange was full and they were investigating whether i could get on it which would take a period of time, they would not give me any indication of how long 'a period was', so i said, could be a few days, a month, a year.. to which she replied yes to all of those! So she stuck me on a dial up modem for gods sake..

Anyway, we are moving to kalamunda.. anyone know if you can get broadband there and which would be the best company?

Cheers
Chris
Same thing happened to me chrispy.... I asked iiNet for ADSL2 in Maylands and bang on signup there was a port - on connection check no port.... Now on a crap ADSL1 Telstra Wholesale port with iiNet. Better than nowt but annoying.

I'm off to Morley and the port limits are the same problem. Check for Kalamunda on http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/vie...hp?Location=WA - You have plenty of ADSL2 available!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, we only spend $19.94 a month on a phone line we don't need with Telstra (HomeLine Budget).

ADSL2+ here is Shenton Park is 2.5km away from the Subi exchange and the best we get on our 24mb Amnet account is about 7mb

Mark
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Eek Telstra are full!

Who would I go with for internet in WA along the coast about 900km from Perth(near Monkey Mia)!

Any recommendations? I thought I could just go with Telstra! Doh!

Getting internet doesnt sound so easy in WA.

GEMS
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:24 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Eek Telstra are full!

Who would I go with for internet in WA along the coast about 900km from Perth(near Monkey Mia)!

Any recommendations? I thought I could just go with Telstra! Doh!

Getting internet doesnt sound so easy in WA.

GEMS
Hi Gems,

do a search on the Whirlpool site: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm?loc=5

The site also has a forum and I would recommend that you ask in there who they recommend for your specific town (In some rural areas you can only get internet by satelite - expensive).

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.