Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband and Modems

Broadband and Modems

Old May 14th 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Broadband and Modems

Can someone tell me if it is better to get a wireless modem or a 4-port modem (for 2 computers at home) for broadband -I don't understand it all!
Old May 14th 2005, 2:47 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Broadband and Modems

Originally Posted by melaniee
Can someone tell me if it is better to get a wireless modem or a 4-port modem (for 2 computers at home) for broadband -I don't understand it all!
Hiya,

Wireless will give you the freedom to roam around the house. If you opt for a 4port modem you'll be wired, and will need to be near enough to the modem that a CAT5 cable will reach.

If you use wireless, you need to have wireless enabled PC's (wifi) or buy adapter cards which are very cheap.

If you use a 4port modem, you need to have PC's with a LAN port or buy adapter cards which are also very cheap.

It really is up to you. I much prefer the wireless, esp. if you're using laptops.

Paul
Old May 14th 2005, 3:52 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Broadband and Modems

It all depends on the setup you have at home and how your broadband will be supplied. Also, both of your PC's will need a network card or port in them whether its for wireless or not. Most new PC's have them built in to the motherboard.

If you are going to use a cable company like NTL, they provide you with a cable modem. If this is your connection then you need to buy just a four port router which can be wireless if you wish.

If you will be using your standard BT line then the company will probably supply you a USB modem for free but this will be for one PC only. If you are going to use this connection then its better to buy a four port ADSL router which again can be wireless if you wish.

I use a BT line and have a Netgear DG834G. This is plugged directly in to my tower and then the kids have a wireless card in their desktop upstairs and we have three laptops sharing the line too. My brother uses my connection now and again and if I am not in he can just sit outside in his car and use it.

If cabling is not a problem and its for two desktops then just connect them using network cables. If one or more is a laptop then wireless is the way to go.

R.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:11 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Melaniee,
Could alway's buy a netgear one, Wireless, Router Modem.
I use both, depending on how I feel and how close I am.

Usefull to connect the X box to, which only has a network connection, not wireless.

Bye
Mark
Old May 14th 2005, 9:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We also use the Netgear DG834G which allows us to mix and match if our circumstances change. Costs us AUD 189. plus a few bucks for cables.

Currently running 2 desktops hardwired and 1 laptop on wireless.

Just bear in mind if you have heavy printing needs then rig that up on the hardwired PC. Wireless can struggle a bit on that but is fine for document type text stuff.
Old May 15th 2005, 1:10 am
ABCDiamond

I was trying to decide this for myself recently, and I decided on the wireless option, although I don't need it YET.

But it does give me the 4-port capabilities for now, and wireless option later

Old May 15th 2005, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

I am so confused!

And I confused everyone else too! I am now in Australia (don't ask!!!! he he!) and will be going with Telstra. I will have one work laptop and one old home desktop (which we will have to upgrade to 2000 or XP for broadband).

So when I sign up with Tesltra, pay my $249 for a wireless modem, what else will I have to pay?

The 4 port modem option puts me off as the computers will be in different rooms and it is a rental house so we can not connect wires all around the place!!

Someone help me-I am a technophobe and I need to make a decision today!!!!
Old May 15th 2005, 5:10 am
ABCDiamond

I am so confused!

And I confused everyone else too! I am now in Australia (don't ask!!!! he he!) and will be going with Telstra. I will have one work laptop and one old home desktop (which we will have to upgrade to 2000 or XP for broadband).

So when I sign up with Tesltra, pay my $249 for a wireless modem, what else will I have to pay?

The 4 port modem option puts me off as the computers will be in different rooms and it is a rental house so we can not connect wires all around the place!!

Why Telstra ? :scared:

Which Telstra plan are you looking at ? The cheaper plans can be deceiving:
eg: their 200mb plan at $29.95 would cost you $74.95 if you use 500mb, and they charge for both Up and Down traffic (at least they did when I moved away from them)

You will need to buy at least one wireless network card for the computer that is not in the same room as the wireless modem/router.

Old May 15th 2005, 5:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so confused!

Do not use Telstra. A lot of people here have regretted using Telstra. They are very expensive and offer poor service. I deal with their incompetence day day out at work.

You have to buy the wireless router plus one wireless network card per machine you connect from. The laptop may or may not have a wireless network card included.
Old May 15th 2005, 6:18 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

For goodness sake don't go with Telstra, Their service is absolutely abysmal, and their charges are a rip off. It may seem on first look that it is cheaper but they charge you extra for everything which many ISP's give for free, ie virus check and spam guard, webspace, etc etc etc.

Have a look in this thread for some other ISP's to have a look at, write down what each is offering and compare them Telstra will be at the bottom of the list every time.

Also for those thinking of getting wireless don't get the D-Link wireless modem/router (Think it is a D604 or similar). There is a known problem with the ADSL chips 'whining', some do some don't, I went through three which got pregressively louder (the lastone was driving my cats mad and could be heard in the bedroom from the lounge at night and had to be unplugged at bedtime). Eventually I got a Netgear and have been very happy with it.
Old May 15th 2005, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Work says I have to use telstra-they are paying.

So how much will these wireless network cards costs-seems like this wireless option is getting more and more expensive. Would the 4 port modem not be cheaper?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why Telstra ? :scared:

Which Telstra plan are you looking at ? The cheaper plans can be deceiving:
eg: their 200mb plan at $29.95 would cost you $74.95 if you use 500mb, and they charge for both Up and Down traffic (at least they did when I moved away from them)

You will need to buy at least one wireless network card for the computer that is not in the same room as the wireless modem/router.
Old May 15th 2005, 6:57 am
ABCDiamond

Work says I have to use telstra-they are paying.

So how much will these wireless network cards costs-seems like this wireless option is getting more and more expensive. Would the 4 port modem not be cheaper?
Well, if they are paying then it's not too bad I lived with Telstra for 18 months, and just suffered with slow speeds as I was on the 256k connection, I've now switched to 1500k connection and saved $20 per month

Most wireless modems will be 4 port modems with a wireless coneection as an extra. You can use it as a normal cable connected modem for as long as you like, as long as each computer has a normal network card.

Then, when you are ready you can get wireless network cards and add that into your system, without needing to get a new modem.

I currently do that myself.
I have a wireless modem with 4 network sockets allowing 4 computers to be directly cabled to it. But I can at any time add on more computers, that have wireless cards attached, and they can then use the internet also, from anywhere in the house.

Old May 15th 2005, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks ABC-appreciated.

What is a netowrk card though?-told you I am a technophobe!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Well, if they are paying then it's not too bad I lived with Telstra for 18 months, and just suffered with slow speeds as I was on the 256k connection, I've now switched to 1500k connection and saved $20 per month

Most wireless modems will be 4 port modems with a wireless coneection as an extra. You can use it as a normal cable connected modem for as long as you like, as long as each computer has a normal network card.

Then, when you are ready you can get wireless network cards and add that into your system, without needing to get a new modem.

I currently do that myself.
I have a wireless modem with 4 network sockets allowing 4 computers to be directly cabled to it. But I can at any time add on more computers, that have wireless cards attached, and they can then use the internet also, from anywhere in the house.
Old May 15th 2005, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

A wireless Network card for a PC may cost between $49 and about $80
eg:http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/88..._Nwrk_Card.asp or
http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=116646

One for a Notebook with an available PCMCIA slot may be between $49 ?? and $220
eg: http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/88...ok_Adapter.asp or
http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=116770

These are not recommendations, just an idea.

Old May 15th 2005, 7:14 am
ABCDiamond

Does your old home Desktop have any kind of Network card in it ?

The basic card for a PC costs about $20.

Bondipom is the expert on this, hope he is not too busy today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.