Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband/ Mobile phone operators

Broadband/ Mobile phone operators

Old May 12th 2011, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Broadband/ Mobile phone operators

hi,
I am moving to Brisbane in June, and was wondering if anyone had advice on which broadband provider and mobile phone provider to go for. Any suggestions on good deals?

thanks

Old May 12th 2011, 4:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband/ Mobile phone operators

TPG.

Home phone + unlimited ADSL2 broandband = $59.99 per month

As a TPG broadband customer you get a discount on their mobile plans (they use the Optus network).

http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.html

Plans vary from $9.99 to $29.99 per month...I've just noticed they now include international calls in the cap too which is new.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:37 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
TPG.

As a TPG broadband customer you get a discount on their mobile plans (they use the Optus network).

Plans vary from $9.99 to $29.99 per month...I've just noticed they now include international calls in the cap too which is new.
There may be a 30 dollar line fee on top of that$59.99 per month.That was the case for me last week.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

look up iinet too. Bout the same as TPG but do VOIP for cheap international calls.

Either way both TPG and iinet use either Optus or Telstra networks and not sure if TPG have their own DSLAMS in the exchange of the Optus network but if the exchange you are connected to is not ADSL2+ capable then you are stuck with paying line rental. No line rental is only available on ADSL2+ exchanges.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
There may be a 30 dollar line fee on top of that$59.99 per month.That was the case for me last week.
The $59.99 is $30 line + $29.99 unlimited ADSL2.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:30 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

The $59.99 is $30 line + $29.99 unlimited ADSL2.
Excellent
Old May 12th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

definately try iinet then as their naked service means no line rental
Old May 12th 2011, 11:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by denzil73
definately try iinet then as their naked service means no line rental
The annoying thing about naked plans is they always charge more for them than the non-naked equivalent. So iinet's cheapest naked plan is $69.95 for 50Gb + 50Gb, next stop $89.95 for 200Gb vs TPGs $59.95 for landline + unlimited internet.

Iinet's customer service can't be beaten though so if that's a big consideration then it might be worth paying more...I've had no real issues with TPG though.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

TPG.

good shout on the mobile rates including international BC

am signing up now , much cheaper to make calls than the sim only deal with vodafone i had and treble the cap amout for heavy users @ $1000.00

NICE
Old May 13th 2011, 1:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
good shout on the mobile rates including international BC

am signing up now , much cheaper to make calls than the sim only deal with vodafone i had and treble the cap amout for heavy users @ $1000.00

NICE
The one gotcha seems to be that 13/18 numbers are not included in the cap, which is quite odd.

And $400 of the cap is TPG to TPG so you'd probably only use it if 2 in the family signed up.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I recently did this investigation and analysis. TPG came out in front.

I do a line rental and 5GB limit for $39.00 per month. If I go over 5GB it just reverts back to 256k download speed. Haven't hit the 5GB mark yet.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow, been a while since I originally signed up. iinet used to be better or level pegging with TPG but looks like they need to shake a leg to keep up

They are hampered in places having to use Telstra DSLAMs instead of their own but fingers crossed we'll have world class fibre comms in a few years
Old May 13th 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

We're on Bigpond cable, is there much speed difference between that and ADSL2+ as we're out of ball and chain 24 month Telstra agreement?

Also was wondering if anyone was getting anything decent out of Foxtel as I'm thinking of playing them as well?
Old May 13th 2011, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lastone
We're on Bigpond cable, is there much speed difference between that and ADSL2+ as we're out of ball and chain 24 month Telstra agreement?

Also was wondering if anyone was getting anything decent out of Foxtel as I'm thinking of playing them as well?
i am just about up on my foxtel 12 month agreement and am going to ring them up and see what they can do

always worth a punt they can only say no , would be interested to hear if anyone has negotiated a better deal off of them recently

will let you know how i get on
Old May 13th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Steve, I got full foxtel package down to $20 on the yorkshireman rate. As a shandy drinker you will pay $150 a month

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.