Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband Internet access

Broadband Internet access

Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband Internet access

In UK my internet access was free with Orange so I don't like paying for it!

What's the cheapest with decent allowances for using Skype etc, including line rental?
I never use the actual phone...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Internet access

Don't know the answer but if you can get naked DSL where you are then that would be the cheapest. No phone line and reduced line rental. Option of going VOIP if you wanted.

Check out http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

afclegend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
In UK my internet access was free with Orange so I don't like paying for it!

What's the cheapest with decent allowances for using Skype etc, including line rental?
I never use the actual phone...
I use TPG it costs $59 per month for Line Rental and Unlimited Broadband and i get really good speeds also considering i'm not that close to the telephone exchange.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

59 that's good.
I'm in,Melbourne.
Naked, is that net only?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
Naked, is that net only?
Yes, raw ADSL2 but you can adopt internet telephony if you wish (VOIP)

You still pay a line rental but it may be called service fee or something. I believe it's usually 50% - 75% of the normal line rental.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Yes, raw ADSL2 but you can adopt internet telephony if you wish (VOIP)

You still pay a line rental but it may be called service fee or something. I believe it's usually 50% - 75% of the normal line rental.
Not in all cases, iiNet have no line or service fees on their Naked Service and voip is also an integeral part of their service. They are also a true high speed provider. They are now the 3rd biggest ISP provider in the Country and 2nd biggest ADSL provider.

http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html

Where is the free Orange plan in the UK I cant find it ?

Thought I'd check them out as they are complained about a lot on my London Board.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/

I always have a bit of a larf when I see people stating they have free unlimited plans from the UK....

You'd best have a read.

http://www.orange-broadband.net/

Did you know?
  • The maximum monthly download limit for Orange's Home Select package is just 5Gb!
  • Despite the fixed limit, Orange believes it does not have to tell you what it is.
  • Orange will reduce your download speed to 512kbps, without warning, for a period of three months, if you exceed this limit.
  • Orange will continue to charge you at the full monthly rate.
  • No reductions will be given for any months that you are under the limit.
  • Orange calls its fixed-line broadband service "unlimited" even though it has a limit of just 5Gb, less then some mobile broadband packages..
  • Orange is a signatory to Ofcom's "Voluntary Code of Practice: Broadband Speed", but DOES NOT adhere to the guidelines.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 14th 2011 at 2:46 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Yes it was free with my mobile contract. Not sure they still do it now.
I paid my mobile contract as normal and no extra for broadband.
Wasn't speed restricted as far as I know.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not in all cases, iiNet have no line or service fees on their Naked Service and voip is also an integeral part of their service. They are also a true high speed provider. They are now the 3rd biggest ISP provider in the Country and 2nd biggest ADSL provider.

http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html

Where is the free Orange plan in the UK I cant find it ?

Thought I'd check them out as they are complained about a lot on my London Board.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/

I always have a bit of a larf when I see people stating they have free unlimited plans from the UK....

You'd best have a read.

http://www.orange-broadband.net/

Did you know?
  • The maximum monthly download limit for Orange's Home Select package is just 5Gb!
  • Despite the fixed limit, Orange believes it does not have to tell you what it is.
  • Orange will reduce your download speed to 512kbps, without warning, for a period of three months, if you exceed this limit.
  • Orange will continue to charge you at the full monthly rate.
  • No reductions will be given for any months that you are under the limit.
  • Orange calls its fixed-line broadband service "unlimited" even though it has a limit of just 5Gb, less then some mobile broadband packages..
  • Orange is a signatory to Ofcom's "Voluntary Code of Practice: Broadband Speed", but DOES NOT adhere to the guidelines.