Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband - how do you decide which?

Broadband - how do you decide which?

Old Dec 15th 2005, 11:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband - how do you decide which?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Blimey !!!

BTW, I'm having hell setting up the wireless network, with Belkin products supplied by IInet I've got to admit, I put most of that down, trying to use a pent 1 as the 2nd comp, might lan that one up, and get myself (or the family ) another computer. That will make 4 including the laptop lol.

Methinks these isp's expect a lot of the average punter in setting up wireless networks.
Dump the Belkin hardware. My colleague here at UWA spends most of her day supporting students with wireless problems and most to the time it's crappy Belkin hardware that simply doesn't work.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Dump the Belkin hardware. My colleague here at UWA spends most of her day supporting students with wireless problems and most to the time it's crappy Belkin hardware that simply doesn't work.
Bloody hell, I wondered why even though the configuration stayed the same sometimes it would work, and 20 mins later stop.

Oh well I Lan'd up the 2nd computer, and bought myself a wireless card for the laptop.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 7:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Bloody hell, I wondered why even though the configuration stayed the same sometimes it would work, and 20 mins later stop.

Oh well I Lan'd up the 2nd computer, and bought myself a wireless card for the laptop.
Belkin and Toshiba laptops are a particularly bad combo.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

Just a quick update on iinet.

There was a report in the Sunday Times about how they are overcharging their subscribers and making them go on slower connections because iinet reckon Telstra are ripping them off, they are just "passing on their costs," customers are voting with their feet and leaving in droves.

So add iinet to the "don't touch with a bargepole" file along with Telstra and Dodo.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
Just a quick update on iinet.

There was a report in the Sunday Times about how they are overcharging their subscribers and making them go on slower connections because iinet reckon Telstra are ripping them off, they are just "passing on their costs," customers are voting with their feet and leaving in droves.

So add iinet to the "don't touch with a bargepole" file along with Telstra and Dodo.
thanks, still have not sorted this out, who would you use Renth?
Tara
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by ali south
thanks, still have not sorted this out, who would you use Renth?
Tara
I use Amnet: http://www.amnet.com.au they're very good.

I don't know if you can get them in NSW though.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:51 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Broadband - how do you decide which?

Perthforme Thanks for the Karma...
I think you guys like Bart (more than Homer, Lisa, Maggie and Marge)

- Bart
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
First of all............... DONT GO WITH TELTRA BIGPOND.

Now look at http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

iinet and westnet are good options
we r with westnet costs 60$ per month for 1.5 mb, 5gb downloads and no min contract time
Also u can cancel at any time, and only took 24hours to get after faxing off the applic as we were able to buy the modem from an internet cafe,
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 8:37 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Am thinking of chamging from Iprimus dial up (and lock out every few minutes) to a broadband with the 'free' telephone calls etc. I am trying to choose between GOTALK internet and phone or another broadband plus Skype

As a very poor computer user I need the pros and cons carefullyh explain ed to me (not too many syllables please!!)

Who knows what about these companies.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:49 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally Posted by yafm
Am thinking of chamging from Iprimus dial up (and lock out every few minutes) to a broadband with the 'free' telephone calls etc. I am trying to choose between GOTALK internet and phone or another broadband plus Skype

As a very poor computer user I need the pros and cons carefullyh explain ed to me (not too many syllables please!!)

Who knows what about these companies.

Bounce ....... I really do need you guys to advise me... value for money and hassle free plus the chance of cheap phone calls is the requirement