Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband - how do you decide which?

Broadband - how do you decide which?

Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:48 am
Coogee Rocks

Default Re: Broadband - how do you decide which?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's 12,228/1024 speed v 1512/256 1512 is the download speed of adsl at it's max, and 256 is how fast you send the info, so if you are sending little movies to england etc they will transfer up a lot fast on the upload of Adsl2 which is 12,228 down, and 1024 up

Basically what it means is ADSL2 is 45 times faster than the 256 standard installations that you see quoted in the newspapers.

whats more it's about the same price. IInet were the first to start advertising adsl 2

Slight correction iinet are ofering Broadband2 (their term) which is basically Broadband turned up to the max.

Internode are offering Broadband2 at speeds of 24,000!!!

I am with iinet and have no problems now but it was a bit fiddly to start up.

Old Dec 15th 2005, 3:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ali south
thank you, but
I don't understand, what is 1512/256 and 1228/1024 speed?

thanks
Tara
An example:

Assume a file takes 1 minute to download on a 256k connection, it could take the following times on these connections
30.00 secs 512k
15.00 secs 1,024k
10.16 secs 1,512k
1.26 secs 12,228k

or 5 minutes on a 56k dial up connection

Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:41 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bondipom
Telstra is also known as Helstra.
I just liked it...
this is exactly the same way I used to be sarcastic with the mgmt of Dell to call it Hell...

- Bart
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:19 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Why? We have gone with Telstra Big Pond and been really pleased with it so far but only been with them for 1 month.

Alot of people who sign up with Telstra do so on there @29 a month plan which only includes something like 4 or 500 MEGS of dl.... now that might be enough for a day but for a month no way. Just receiving emails and very light net browsing will kick you miles over this and this is where they make there money in excess charges of something like 13cents a mg which adds up.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:21 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the karma... is there anyone who can export (import) Karma...?
- Bart
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Alot of people who sign up with Telstra do so on there @29 a month plan which only includes something like 4 or 500 MEGS of dl.... now that might be enough for a day but for a month no way. Just receiving emails and very light net browsing will kick you miles over this and this is where they make there money in excess charges of something like 13cents a mg which adds up.
You are OVER rating Telstra there

It's actually 200mb allowance for $29.95 with 15c per mb (that's $150 per Gb) over that, for a 256k connection.
http://bigpond.com/internet-plans/br...MB/default.asp

Compared to others ? Well... I pay $3 per Gb overlimit, if I went over my limit that is

Old Dec 15th 2005, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coogee Rocks
Slight correction iinet are ofering Broadband2 (their term) which is basically Broadband turned up to the max.

Internode are offering Broadband2 at speeds of 24,000!!!

I am with iinet and have no problems now but it was a bit fiddly to start up.
Blimey !!!

BTW, I'm having hell setting up the wireless network, with Belkin products supplied by IInet I've got to admit, I put most of that down, trying to use a pent 1 as the 2nd comp, might lan that one up, and get myself (or the family ) another computer. That will make 4 including the laptop lol.

Methinks these isp's expect a lot of the average punter in setting up wireless networks.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Balmain Howard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

If you've got a cable connection (either Foxtel or Telstra) I can recommend Telstra Broadband. Buy a Cable modem (either WiFi ie wireless $189 or regular $129) and sign up on line or in a store.

You can check availability online at the Bigpond site.

For a 12month contract you also have to pay $60 connection. 24 months is free.

It costs from $30 per month for the 200mb package but isn't restricted on the download speed (only upload). So... perfect for regular surfing.

If you need more mb for downloading stuff other rates are available.

You can switch between packages without penalty - check the other options for this... some penalise you for changing to cheaper packages.

Hope it helps,

Howard.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

this might seem like a really stupid question....

if you move house after say 8 months and you're on a 12/24 month internet contract..... do you have to cancel and start again or do you just take it with you?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
this might seem like a really stupid question....

if you move house after say 8 months and you're on a 12/24 month internet contract..... do you have to cancel and start again or do you just take it with you?

There is a transfer fee, of around 60 bucks I beleive.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 6:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Balmain Howard
Hi,

If you've got a cable connection (either Foxtel or Telstra) I can recommend Telstra Broadband. Buy a Cable modem (either WiFi ie wireless $189 or regular $129) and sign up on line or in a store.

You can check availability online at the Bigpond site.

For a 12month contract you also have to pay $60 connection. 24 months is free.

It costs from $30 per month for the 200mb package but isn't restricted on the download speed (only upload). So... perfect for regular surfing.

If you need more mb for downloading stuff other rates are available.

You can switch between packages without penalty - check the other options for this... some penalise you for changing to cheaper packages.

Hope it helps,

Howard.
You say: "isn't restricted on the download speed". The ADSL web site for the 200mb service says the download speed is only 256k. I assume that a cable connection doesn't have that restriction then.

Also Telstra are one of the few that charge for Uploads and Downloads, so 200mb can be the equivalent of others using a bit more than 100mb, and gets used up pretty quickly.

When I was with Telstra, on a 1 Gb package, I regularly went over the 1Gb limit, even though my downloads didn't go over 600mb.

Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There is a transfer fee, of around 60 bucks I beleive.

thanks ozzie! knew someone on here would know!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You say: "isn't restricted on the download speed". The ADSL web site for the 200mb service says the download speed is only 256k. I assume that a cable connection doesn't have that restriction then.

Also Telstra are one of the few that charge for Uploads and Downloads, so 200mb can be the equivalent of others using a bit more than 100mb, and gets used up pretty quickly.

When I was with Telstra, on a 1 Gb package, I regularly went over the 1Gb limit, even though my downloads didn't go over 600mb.
Optus cable speeds normally range between around 500 kbps through to 1.2 mbps, Telstras for some reason stay around the 500 kbps mark, according to some browsing I recently did. They are supposed to be around the 4 mbps mark.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 11:24 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

my son, when in oz, uses "freenet"...............he hooks his wireless notebook into his next door neighbour's wireless router. Cheap!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:19 pm
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
my son, when in oz, uses "freenet"...............he hooks his wireless notebook into his next door neighbour's wireless router. Cheap!
Are you sure he uses freenet... or is he a hacker...
(if hes later then can he help me to get user/ passcode for other wireless services
- Bart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.