Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband help / Suggestions for Perth.

Broadband help / Suggestions for Perth.

Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Default Broadband help / Suggestions for Perth.

Probably one for the techies this.

We are arriving in Perth shortly, just wanting to get the essentials sorted, Broadband being one of them.

Suggestions on good providers in the Perth, Rockingham area with good speeds and low outage rate. ( with Bt here in the U.K and never lost the internet ) will be Web Caming home and sending video back.

If it helps I have an iBookg4 1.42ghz, 768ram +80g runing current broadband wireless via airport.

Thanks for the help, please not too technical though I can just get by with CTRL-ALT-DEL.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:42 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband help / Suggestions for Perth.

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan

We are arriving in Perth shortly, just wanting to get the essentials sorted, Broadband being one of them.

Suggestions on good providers in the Perth, Rockingham area with good speeds and low outage rate. ( with Bt here in the U.K and never lost the internet ) will be Web Caming home and sending video back.

If it helps I have an iBookg4 1.42ghz, 768ram +80g runing current broadband wireless via airport.

Thanks for the help, please not too technical though I can just get by with CTRL-ALT-DEL.
You'll be shocked how backward and expencive it is here, due to lack of competition.
They have only just introduce $0 start up costs, previously it was $99 for the modem and I think $60 for Telstra to enable the broadband.
I'm with Optus (www.optus.com.au) which is $59 a month with a 7GB per month download limit.... yes they limit the downloads and once you reach the limit they slow you down, like a slap on the wrist for being naughty! :-)
I have just changed my home phone line to Optus also, which now gives me $10 discount on the Broadband price, plus a 21GB download limit per month.
There are othe providers, I have no problems with Optus personally.

Neil.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

We're with AAPT. No sign up fee and you don't have to sign a contract.

Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:51 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

we are with iinet. we got a free modem as long as we signed in for 24 months. we pay $59 per month and get 10GB peak and 20GB off peak and they slow us down if we use more, we never do so its never been an issue and I download loads. We get a slightly cheaper deal because we signed in for their phone service to and you get faster speeds if you bundle internet and phone with iinet. The super high speed service isn't available everywhere so check out with their website. www.iinet.net.au
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

You need to check out the Whirlpool site to get the best advice on this you'll find anywhere...

FWIW Perth is the home of iiNet, who I'm with, and I'd be surprised if you can find better... The phone/'net package is the one to go for...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Have a look at westnet.com.au

Alimay

Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice folks.
We'll just have to wait and see where we pitch up, ii+westnet seem decent with the bundles.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

The other thing to note is that broadband may be available in your area but it doesn't mean that you will be able to get a spot.

We are with Telstra and we were told that there were no broadband spots free in our area at the moment, but we could go on a waiting list. It's not as up to date at all here. We are on dial up, which is brain numbingly slow.

Kim