Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband, but narrow-minded! Why is it so difficult to get decent broadband??

Broadband, but narrow-minded! Why is it so difficult to get decent broadband??

Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:32 am
I'd rather be Buzz!!

SylvieKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband, but narrow-minded! Why is it so difficult to get decent broadband??

I was determined NOT to be the archetypal 'whinging bloody Pom' when we emigrated to Oz last year but the one bane of my life so far has been internet connectivity and the amount of hassle you have to go to to get anything done over here?!?! :curse:

We originally had a wireless solution through Veritel that wasn't great but was ok whilst we were hunting round for a place to rent. We initially went with BigPond and didn't really do any research, plus we'd got FoxTel cable so thought it would be easier to just use that line. The first 2 months were a nightmare - I had to kick and scream to get a problem with the signal being '...too weak' and even after that was resolved the reliability of this connection wasn't great.

I had several conversations with their helldesk and even had to resort to the 'I've worked in IT for 15 years so don't try and fob me off!' line....geez, how old pompous that make me sound?!?! Anyway, we recently moved to a house and the landlords had Optus cable for their internet connection. I wanted to go to ADSL2+ as both my wife and I would need to work from home at times and as a lot of my work needs to be performed out of hours I wanted a fast connection.

First off Optus. As there was already cable installed I thought it would be easy to go with them and it would cut down on connection fees, etc... Yes it did, however, I also ordered a cable wireless router but wasn't told that the company didn't actually have any in stock (I even tried one of the OptusWorld shops in the CBD and got the same story) and that I would have to wait till mid-September (at the earliest) for some to become available.

My main gripe was that the person in sales that took my order made no mention to this, and it wasn't until 3 phone calls later that I was actually told the truththat they were out of stock?!?! I did think that I'd just buy any ol' cable wireless router but something in the small print on the Optus website gave me the impression that if anything went wrong I'd be on my todd if I used anything but their approved hardware.....so I told 'em to stuff their cable AND the landline they'd installed.

So, back to the drawing board. I checked the Whirlpool.net website for some inspiration - it's a really good website although I'm not sure how accurate the info is for coverage, however, it's got a load fo forums and feedback that I would recommend anyone check if they're looking to get connected to the internet. I first called TPG but I would've had to get a Telstra landline installed to be able to get ADSL2+, however, when I called iiNet they said that they'd arrange for the landline to be installed and then ADSL2+.

I remember well enough the confirmation. I stated that I would not sigh up to any landline connection unless they could assure me that I would be able to get ADSL2+. They confirmed that ADSL2+ was available in the area I lived so I went ahead and signed up. They arranged for a Telstra engineer to call last Monday morning and connect a landline. That was all well and good but I didn't hear back from iiNet so had to call them a couple of times to find out how my application for ADSL2+ was progressing? (I didn't give a hoot about the landline as we've used mobiles since we arrived in Oz and mentioned that when I placed the order).

Anyway, I had a conversation this morning with some poor soul from iiNet and they told me that I couldn't get ADSL2+ as the line that was installed by Telstra wouldn't support it (something along the 'peer gains' line which basically means that there's not enough lines in the exchange for everyone to have their own so you end up sharing a line with someone else). They told me that they could install ADSL but I was more than a little miffed as I specifically requested ADSL2+ and explained that if they couldn't supply it I would go elsewhere.....serves me right for being so bloomin' honest in the first place?!?!

However, I then phoned Telstra who checked the line and explained that it wouldn't even support ADSL so why is it that iiNet can't tell me this in the first place. Were they going to send out an engineer to then discover this little flaw in their plan, or do they think that as I'm a Pom I'm afflicted with mad cow's disease and wouldn't notice that they'd installed a 56Kbps dialup modem instead!?!?!?!? I went back to iiNet and explained what Telstra had told me and apart from the usual empathetic touchy feely crap (yes I know, I'm really sorry, it's not good is it, etc...) they really couldn't give me any real answer as to why they're offering a service that there's no way they can provide.

They did explain that I should've been told that until a landline had been installed/connected that they couldn't tell me what service was available - fair enough, but why would someone go to the both of getting a landline installed (expecially when we didn't even need/want one in the first place!!) only to be told sorry, you can't get broadband at all?!?! So, sad to say it's back to BigPond to use the existing (Optus) cable connection that our landlords used just prior to us moving in.

That in itself was slightly fraught as I'd kept the wireless cable router they originally sent me at the last place we lived at but lo and ****ing behold I can't use it! I would either have to pay another $129 a 12-month contract for another of their rubbish Motorola (non-wireless!) routers or sign up to a 24-month plan and get that fee waived. I did explain that it would save them money NOT to send me another piece of hardware as I just need the relevant settings to configure the existing router I already have from them. Nope, it's the usual thing - the '...system won't let me complete the order without adding it in' <sigh> Ok then, waste yet more of your company's money and send something that'll just gather dust in the box - thanks for being so narrow-minded BigPond!?

Anyway, I await this pack to arrive and was told that I should be connected within 6-8 days although what I'll be connected to is anyone's guess - a heart defib machine for all the stress I've been under, an electro-shock therapy machine to try and stop the nervous twitch I'm fast developing whenever I hear the words broadband/internet/ADSL/etc... or maybe just a morphine drip to keep me sedated and away from the large collection of knives I'm about to amass!?!? :curse:

As for the Whirlpool website, again I'd recommend it but it still states that the landline iiNet arranged to be connected still states that 3 ISP's can provide ADSL2+ but apparently not in iiNet's case and I guess it would've been the same story if I'd gone with TPG and, I think, Optus? Rant over and I'd best be off to get the little 'un and try and forget about the internet for now.....breathe, and relax!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:41 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Broadband, but narrow-minded! Why is it so difficult to get decent broadband??

Originally Posted by SylvieKid
As for the Whirlpool website, again I'd recommend it but it still states that the landline iiNet arranged to be connected still states that 3 ISP's can provide ADSL2+ but apparently not in iiNet's case and I guess it would've been the same story if I'd gone with TPG and, I think, Optus? Rant over and I'd best be off to get the little 'un and try and forget about the internet for now.....breathe, and relax!
welcome to Australia
regarding iiNet and the adsl2+ connection, don't give up.. same happened to me but within a couple of months they migrated me to the adsl2+ lines
they are gradually moving people to their own equipment from the Telstra supplied standard adsl, from what i can understand much of the blame is with telstra and their lack of cooperation with other isps
just keep asking iiNet when they'll upgrade you.. their website used to have a list of rollouts, i'd be surprised if somewhere like Manly wasn't on the list

and woah on those smilies mate, too many ~lol~
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:46 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband, but narrow-minded! Why is it so difficult to get decent broadband??

telstra own the phone network here and don't play with anyone. You can't find out anything until you order the line, and then order adsl.

They have been know to hold back limited adsl ports to bigpond users only.

So like us you can't buy a house and guarantee that it'll get adsl, even if it has it now, as they may give away to port or the ISP keep it when the previous owner gives up the port.

Whirlpool is the place to read about adsl in OZ. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=100
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Have to concur with Gedge, If IInet cannot fix you up, then your in trouble.

They will eventually, basically it's a battle between the likes of TPG and IInet and similar on one side, and Telstra. Telstra own the Exchanges, and have to make room to let the IInet and other telco's Dslams in. Which basically means Telstra then lose those customers forever, as Telstra dont have a snowballs chance in hell of competing with them.

In my own case I've been waiting for almost a year for IInet to connect me to ADSL2, However I'm assured it's all to do with lack of room at my local exchange and waiting for Telstra to move their equipement so that IInet can fit theirs in. In fact I've been Scheduled to go, for every quarter of this year so far, with my only option changing to TPG for the same scenerio except down the bottom of the TPG waiting list.

Whatever happens I'm now sticking with IInet, as out of the 4 ISP's Ive been with so far, they are head and shoulders above the others. Optus/Telstra/Iprimus/Alphalink.

Ah just checked the IInet site, you've got a specific local problem where you are, as Manly does have IInet Dslams installed, Your problem is between the exchange and your house, Blame Telstra slow infrastructure replacement, or landline problems. IE: you can't expect IInet to dig up the road/replace cables thats a Telstra job. Any Betting they dont have the same problem one block away.

I've got the exact opposite problem, my landcables are OK, Telstra wont let IInet in the Coburg exchange yet.

I thought it was a bit strange that Manly wasn't connected.

http://www.iinet.net.au/products/broadband/iinetwork/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2007 at 9:30 am.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:17 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Yet, I'm with iinet but adsl1, as telstra claim a nice RIM between me and the exchange. No sure there is, but nothing you can do.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:54 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Just scrolling by and noticed this thread.

First, things move pretty slow here in Australia, its the dont worry mate........

Your basically stuffed if you are behind a RIM, you could try asking Telstra if the line will support a second line which may make Telstra remove the line sharing device stuck between you and the exchange. Otherwise its either Unwired or Telstra Next G network, however depending on your location (trees/large buildings) the signal may be crap and only do for surfing the web/reading emails.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ :[/QUOTE]

Absolutely pathetic !
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rapitts
Just scrolling by and noticed this thread.

First, things move pretty slow here in Australia, its the dont worry mate........

Your basically stuffed if you are behind a RIM, you could try asking Telstra if the line will support a second line which may make Telstra remove the line sharing device stuck between you and the exchange. Otherwise its either Unwired or Telstra Next G network, however depending on your location (trees/large buildings) the signal may be crap and only do for surfing the web/reading emails.

I wouldnt be surprised if they have given him low priority on purpose because of the Cable connection, which gives them and Optus exclusive carrying rights.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My tip - live in the arse-end of nowhere ... no ADSL2, but all the ADSL you can eat. Our broadband line with Internode was live the day we moved into our house.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
My tip - live in the arse-end of nowhere ... no ADSL2, but all the ADSL you can eat. Our broadband line with Internode was live the day we moved into our house.
Warning : schoolboy humour:

I always get suspicious of people obsessed with download speeds and limits.
They either type one-handed, or are positively ripping off the music industry bigtime.

My ADSL is quite adequate and I know it is slow.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:06 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SylvieKid
I was determined NOT to be the archetypal 'whinging bloody Pom' when we emigrated to Oz last year but the one bane of my life so far has been internet connectivity and the amount of hassle you have to go to to get anything done over here?!?! :curse:

We originally had a wireless solution through Veritel that wasn't great but was ok whilst we were hunting round for a place to rent. We initially went with BigPond and didn't really do any research, plus we'd got FoxTel cable so thought it would be easier to just use that line. The first 2 months were a nightmare - I had to kick and scream to get a problem with the signal being '...too weak' and even after that was resolved the reliability of this connection wasn't great.

I had several conversations with their helldesk and even had to resort to the 'I've worked in IT for 15 years so don't try and fob me off!' line....geez, how old pompous that make me sound?!?! Anyway, we recently moved to a house and the landlords had Optus cable for their internet connection. I wanted to go to ADSL2+ as both my wife and I would need to work from home at times and as a lot of my work needs to be performed out of hours I wanted a fast connection.

First off Optus. As there was already cable installed I thought it would be easy to go with them and it would cut down on connection fees, etc... Yes it did, however, I also ordered a cable wireless router but wasn't told that the company didn't actually have any in stock (I even tried one of the OptusWorld shops in the CBD and got the same story) and that I would have to wait till mid-September (at the earliest) for some to become available.

My main gripe was that the person in sales that took my order made no mention to this, and it wasn't until 3 phone calls later that I was actually told the truththat they were out of stock?!?! I did think that I'd just buy any ol' cable wireless router but something in the small print on the Optus website gave me the impression that if anything went wrong I'd be on my todd if I used anything but their approved hardware.....so I told 'em to stuff their cable AND the landline they'd installed.

So, back to the drawing board. I checked the Whirlpool.net website for some inspiration - it's a really good website although I'm not sure how accurate the info is for coverage, however, it's got a load fo forums and feedback that I would recommend anyone check if they're looking to get connected to the internet. I first called TPG but I would've had to get a Telstra landline installed to be able to get ADSL2+, however, when I called iiNet they said that they'd arrange for the landline to be installed and then ADSL2+.

I remember well enough the confirmation. I stated that I would not sigh up to any landline connection unless they could assure me that I would be able to get ADSL2+. They confirmed that ADSL2+ was available in the area I lived so I went ahead and signed up. They arranged for a Telstra engineer to call last Monday morning and connect a landline. That was all well and good but I didn't hear back from iiNet so had to call them a couple of times to find out how my application for ADSL2+ was progressing? (I didn't give a hoot about the landline as we've used mobiles since we arrived in Oz and mentioned that when I placed the order).

Anyway, I had a conversation this morning with some poor soul from iiNet and they told me that I couldn't get ADSL2+ as the line that was installed by Telstra wouldn't support it (something along the 'peer gains' line which basically means that there's not enough lines in the exchange for everyone to have their own so you end up sharing a line with someone else). They told me that they could install ADSL but I was more than a little miffed as I specifically requested ADSL2+ and explained that if they couldn't supply it I would go elsewhere.....serves me right for being so bloomin' honest in the first place?!?!

However, I then phoned Telstra who checked the line and explained that it wouldn't even support ADSL so why is it that iiNet can't tell me this in the first place. Were they going to send out an engineer to then discover this little flaw in their plan, or do they think that as I'm a Pom I'm afflicted with mad cow's disease and wouldn't notice that they'd installed a 56Kbps dialup modem instead!?!?!?!? I went back to iiNet and explained what Telstra had told me and apart from the usual empathetic touchy feely crap (yes I know, I'm really sorry, it's not good is it, etc...) they really couldn't give me any real answer as to why they're offering a service that there's no way they can provide.

They did explain that I should've been told that until a landline had been installed/connected that they couldn't tell me what service was available - fair enough, but why would someone go to the both of getting a landline installed (expecially when we didn't even need/want one in the first place!!) only to be told sorry, you can't get broadband at all?!?! So, sad to say it's back to BigPond to use the existing (Optus) cable connection that our landlords used just prior to us moving in.

That in itself was slightly fraught as I'd kept the wireless cable router they originally sent me at the last place we lived at but lo and ****ing behold I can't use it! I would either have to pay another $129 a 12-month contract for another of their rubbish Motorola (non-wireless!) routers or sign up to a 24-month plan and get that fee waived. I did explain that it would save them money NOT to send me another piece of hardware as I just need the relevant settings to configure the existing router I already have from them. Nope, it's the usual thing - the '...system won't let me complete the order without adding it in' <sigh> Ok then, waste yet more of your company's money and send something that'll just gather dust in the box - thanks for being so narrow-minded BigPond!?

Anyway, I await this pack to arrive and was told that I should be connected within 6-8 days although what I'll be connected to is anyone's guess - a heart defib machine for all the stress I've been under, an electro-shock therapy machine to try and stop the nervous twitch I'm fast developing whenever I hear the words broadband/internet/ADSL/etc... or maybe just a morphine drip to keep me sedated and away from the large collection of knives I'm about to amass!?!? :curse:

just relax and have a beer.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Warning : schoolboy humour:

I always get suspicious of people obsessed with download speeds and limits.
They either type one-handed, or are positively ripping off the music industry bigtime.

My ADSL is quite adequate and I know it is slow.

It wont be long Badge, before there is enough TV content, including Live, to give Foxtel the arsee, I think it's just about here now, for that you need decent broadband, your computer set to two displays and wireless networks all over your house.

1.5 mbs, is the minimum requirement for a decent TV signal, you need a lot higher for Hidef.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 2nd 2007 at 11:39 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I always get suspicious of people obsessed with download speeds and limits. They either type one-handed, or are positively ripping off the music industry bigtime.
Or both.

But to be honest, the average internet user has a lot to thank the porn industry for - porn drove the need for more bandwidth, online video and many other advances that are commonplace on everyday websites these days.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Or both.

But to be honest, the average internet user has a lot to thank the porn industry for - porn drove the need for more bandwidth, online video and many other advances that are commonplace on everyday websites these days.
In the same way the space/ military industry gave us stuff. Great.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

So just to clarify - what if a street is stuck behind a RIM, and the Telstra Wholesale RIM database lists the street as having "No ports available."... does this mean that the street cannot get ADSL2+ or that the street cannot get ADSL AT ALL?

Also, what about cable broadband? I have seen a house where there is a Foxtel cable connection. Can you get broadband through the cable?

Last edited by ashwood; Sep 14th 2007 at 1:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.