Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband advice please

Broadband advice please

Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice
Default Broadband advice please

So sorry, I know this has come up on lots of occasions, but I have been back through past threads, and none quite answer what I need!

We've organised a long term rental whilst still in the UK, and tenancy begins in three week's time (Sunshine Coast). For business reasons I need to be online as soon as I arrive (well maybe after a quick dip in the pool!)...

There's a phone in the property which I can take over, and I've checked that the exchange is broadband enabled. I'm told there are two lines in the property - one for phone and one for fax/adsl ?? I'd have thought they could all be one - well certainly the phone and adsl, or is it different in Oz? Anyway here are my specific questions. Please don't send me to Whirlpool as the site is so huge I never know where to start!

1. Does my phone provider and my broadband provider have to be the same?
2. Does Telstra have to provide the phone line?
2. What should I do first, or do I do them both together?
3. Can I ask to set it up from a specific date?
4. Does 20GB sound about right - two/three pcs - some transferring of files between Oz and UK offices - occasional uploading but nothing very large. LOTS of surfing. LOTS of e-mail. Downloading of big files (2mb+) fairly frequently.
5. Should I buy a modem on arrival from electrical store or ask for it to be supplied
6. Will my linksys wireless network operate okay on an Oz broadband modem?

Any other information which you can throw this way - hopefully the thread will be of use to others. I'm looking at Internode by the way - if anyone has any specific comments about them...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:16 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Broadband advice please

Kegsta - sorry to side swipe you on this one but how did you go about organising a long term rental while still in the UK? Where did you get the rental info from? What sort of document evidence / references did you have to provide? Is the cost for a holiday let or a regular rental?

Also watching your question for answers to the broadband issues with GREAT interest.

I do believe though that lines are supplied by Telstra only a bit like BT - some companies do packages of internet and phone (eg Optus - no stop groaning you lot) and in some cases add in mobile phones too.

On the face of it, internet is expensive compared to the UK and speed is def slower. It is just going to have to be something I will have to get used to.

The deal I'm concentrating on is Optus Home Phone & Broadband CAP - which is $99 per month - that would give 20gb usage (speeds up to 20kbps), included are all local and national phone calls, line rental is included also (but don't know about switching lines on or installing line costs) plus International calls to the UK are charged at 18c per minute. This price also includes a free wireless modem - but apart from reading on their website that they prefer to use Netgear products it does not say which modem they supply. This offer which runs on the optus website, is available until end of December BUT - I think its a 24 month contract. :curse:

But my plans might change depending on where we end up renting a house (Port Macquarie or Kemspey area), AND whether the speed degrades too much depending on geographical location. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Regarding modems / routers - I was looking at NETGEARs DG834G SP v3 for use in Aussie. Looking around at both the UK and Aussie options there is NO visible difference in the spec of the modem (please correct me someone if I'm wrong). Its a wireless ADSL 54mbps modem which is for purchase in either the UK or Aussie. If you check out ebay UK and ebay AU the same modem is for sale on each - its just a question of watching the price. They seem to be going in the UK for £30 and in Aussie for the same so might be no advantage to picking one up here. The OBVIOUS difference between them is the power supply plug. Would be interested to know if you find any other differences in modems that I've not picked up on.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Kegsta - sorry to side swipe you on this one but how did you go about organising a long term rental while still in the UK? Where did you get the rental info from? What sort of document evidence / references did you have to provide? Is the cost for a holiday let or a regular rental?

Also watching your question for answers to the broadband issues with GREAT interest.

I do believe though that lines are supplied by Telstra only a bit like BT - some companies do packages of internet and phone (eg Optus - no stop groaning you lot) and in some cases add in mobile phones too.

On the face of it, internet is expensive compared to the UK and speed is def slower. It is just going to have to be something I will have to get used to.

The deal I'm concentrating on is Optus Home Phone & Broadband CAP - which is $99 per month - that would give 20gb usage (speeds up to 20kbps), included are all local and national phone calls, line rental is included also (but don't know about switching lines on or installing line costs) plus International calls to the UK are charged at 18c per minute. This price also includes a free wireless modem - but apart from reading on their website that they prefer to use Netgear products it does not say which modem they supply. This offer which runs on the optus website, is available until end of December BUT - I think its a 24 month contract. :curse:

But my plans might change depending on where we end up renting a house (Port Macquarie or Kemspey area), AND whether the speed degrades too much depending on geographical location. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Regarding modems / routers - I was looking at NETGEARs DG834G SP v3 for use in Aussie. Looking around at both the UK and Aussie options there is NO visible difference in the spec of the modem (please correct me someone if I'm wrong). Its a wireless ADSL 54mbps modem which is for purchase in either the UK or Aussie. If you check out ebay UK and ebay AU the same modem is for sale on each - its just a question of watching the price. They seem to be going in the UK for £30 and in Aussie for the same so might be no advantage to picking one up here. The OBVIOUS difference between them is the power supply plug. Would be interested to know if you find any other differences in modems that I've not picked up on.
hi jellibaby - tks for advice re broadband. I think it's best if I pm'ed you on the rental side so as not to divert the track of this thread! Unless anyone else wants me to start a new thread??
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

yes please, start another thread, would love to hear how you managed a rental from uk? pm me first so i can get in first on the rental company before the rest of the other 50000 using this site see it?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:51 pm
Dublin to Sunshine Coast

goat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kegsta
So sorry, I know this has come up on lots of occasions, but I have been back through past threads, and none quite answer what I need!

We've organised a long term rental whilst still in the UK, and tenancy begins in three week's time (Sunshine Coast). For business reasons I need to be online as soon as I arrive (well maybe after a quick dip in the pool!)...

There's a phone in the property which I can take over, and I've checked that the exchange is broadband enabled. I'm told there are two lines in the property - one for phone and one for fax/adsl ?? I'd have thought they could all be one - well certainly the phone and adsl, or is it different in Oz? Anyway here are my specific questions. Please don't send me to Whirlpool as the site is so huge I never know where to start!

4. Does 20GB sound about right - two/three pcs - some transferring of files between Oz and UK offices - occasional uploading but nothing very large. LOTS of surfing. LOTS of e-mail. Downloading of big files (2mb+) fairly frequently.
5. Should I buy a modem on arrival from electrical store or ask for it to be supplied

Any other information which you can throw this way - hopefully the thread will be of use to others. I'm looking at Internode by the way - if anyone has any specific comments about them...
Hi !

Really would appreciate any advice on which broadband package to get in OZ.
We have bought both mothers PC's and webcam's and have hooked them up on SKYPE and created email accounts for them. The SKYPE is dreadful though - really slow, cant hear each other (slurred sound etc) any recommendations? We are on Irish broadband (wireless) they are on BT Option 1 (wireless).

thanks in advance for any help/advice !!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:35 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kegsta
1. No
2. No, at least as far as you are concerned... You can order the line from someone else and they might have to deal with Telstra for you.
3. Yes (I did with iiNet)
4. Depends... The biggest use we have is downloading video files for TV shows, etc... We have 60GB and pretty much use it all every month.
5. If you sign up for 12/24 month contract you can get a discounted price on a modem from your ISP.
6. Yes. (I have all sorts of modems/routers from the UK here)

Internode and iiNet seem to be consistently rated at the top for ISP's over here...

And finally... Go to the Whirlpool site... I know it's easy to think WTF but it'll be worth it when you get to know your way around... and when something goes wrong you'll need it 'cos tech support from some of the ISP's is diabolical...!

HTH
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:34 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

We use the Optus $79 cap (7GB/month up/down and free unlimited national calls)
Comes with a Motorola modem and bought a netgear wireless router to feed our computers.
For International, we use voipbuster house phone to house phone but dial over the web for 5 euro cent/call unlimited time.
No problems at all.

Optus service is great until you have to phone them!

Andrew