Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broadband / ADSL provider

Broadband / ADSL provider

Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband / ADSL provider

Hi
Does anyone know the best ADSL provider on the Sunshine Coast?, also how long is the contract?
We will be moving into rented when we get there and I can't put up with dial up internet access!!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Smile Re: Broadband / ADSL provider

Not sure about the best Broadband provider but the thing that pissed me off is that if you have Broadband while you rent for 3 or 6 months, when you moved they re-install and re-charge you. We talked to Optus about having boradband, landline, satelitte TV and mobiles as a package and can you believe they would need to make 3 different installation charges and send out 3 different engineers to install each part - bloody rediculous. They are a good couple of years behind the UK on this.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: Broadband / ADSL provider

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi
Does anyone know the best ADSL provider on the Sunshine Coast?, also how long is the contract?
We will be moving into rented when we get there and I can't put up with dial up internet access!!
The other thing to remember is that some areas are not able to get broadband and dial up is the only option. We live in Pelican Waters which is nr Caloundra, Our neighbours have Broadband but we live to far from the exchange just 20 metres too far. I have looked at satellite but to costly.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband / ADSL provider

Well, we will be living in either Mountain Creek or Buderim, anyone reassure me that broadband is available in these places?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Can't you contact Telstra and find out ? Possibly look on their website.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eintracht
Good idea, I'll do that
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:02 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eintracht
youll probably need to know the post code of your house to check if you can get BB
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:22 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi
Take a look at whirlpool for your adsl options. It helps if you have a phone number to check who can provide to you.
Length of contract can be anything from 6-24months. As has been said, you may get charged when you move house, have a look at the costs for this before settling on a supplier.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

I use www.aanet.com.au and their info on changing houses is:
Basically when you move house your Current ADSL connection has to be disconnected and your new Number will have to be reconnected to ADSL. Unfortunately Even if you keep the SAME phone number you still have to pay :

STILL IN 6 Month Contract
Early Termination: $100
New Connection fee : $60
ALL UP $160

NO CONTRACT
If you are out of your 6 month contract it will cost $60 NEW Connection
ALL UP $60
You can see what users think of aanet at: aanet forum

I'm pretty happy with them, and a 1,512k connection costs $55 pm on a 6 month plan with an 8Gb download limit (then $3 per Gb excess)

They do an unlimited download plan for $45pm , but only 256k speed.

Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:01 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
The other thing to remember is that some areas are not able to get broadband and dial up is the only option. We live in Pelican Waters which is nr Caloundra, Our neighbours have Broadband but we live to far from the exchange just 20 metres too far. I have looked at satellite but to costly.
someone's told you wrong - we live in pelican and have broadband!

prev posters right - if you're renting better stick with dial-up, its not that bad, and you'll get charged for reconnecting when you move. we had dial up with telstra and thats fine, and we just got braodband thro optusnet.com - good luck!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

Hi
We went with Telstra and so far they seem fine. I compared a few and don't think there was much in it. Telstra are doing free install and 12 months half-price on a 2-year contract so we just went with that.

We are also renting. If we move I think it will cost about $100 to transfer it.

We had trouble finding out if broadband was available to us until after we had moved in and got a home phone set up. It seemed that only once there was a working phone number could Telstra tell us if they could provide it.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
if you're renting better stick with dial-up, its not that bad, and you'll get charged for reconnecting when you move.
I will disagree with that !!

After being used to 1,512k speeds, going back to 56k dial up, is absolute murder !!

In my opinion, it's worth the $60 transfer cost, if you do move.

Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have iinet ADSL2 24Mbps broadband. $70 for 40Gb on an 18 month contract with no setup fees. It's unbelievably fast, I downloaded about 500Mb from UKNova in under 15 minutes.

I've seen the future & it's ADSL2.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:58 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I use Netcall (aanet), they have 6 month contracts and you can get a very good 512k download for $50 a month

http://www.netcall.com.au/plans.html
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Hi
we're using Optus broadband ( they do a bundle ie. telephone and broadband or mobile and broadband)and living in rented accommodation, we spoke to them before signing up about moving to an area that did not support broadband as we are on a 12 month contract. They agree to put you on dial up if they can't supply broadband and there is no penalty fee incurred. Having said that check with the supplier before singing up - Telstra do the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.