Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Broad question about tax exposure on house sale

Broad question about tax exposure on house sale

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:27 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Broad question about tax exposure on house sale

Friends of mine have recently moved to Aus, about a year ago on a 457. They've recently commuted this visa to PR and intend to stay permanently. They have a property in the UK which is currently rented out and that they ultimately intend to sell.
There's a lot of conflicting advice around what sort of tax exposure this might mean to them and I don't currently have real access to the web to read up at the ato site (posting from the mobile). Obviously they need some specific advice from a decent bean counter, but is anyone able to comment broadly from experience on what potential tax exposure they may have here?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Broad question about tax exposure on house sale

I'm pretty sure that as long as they don't buy a place here the UK place can be still counted as their primary place of residence for Capital gains tax purposes. I think they can rent it out for up to 6 years for this to still be true.

If they buy an Aussie place to live in before selling the UK property then the Aussie place would become their PPOR and the UK place liable for capital gains
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:45 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

pretty certain even if you do buy in oz you can still nominate the uk property as 'main home' for tax purposes for up to 6 years