Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

We're lucky - we've got three pubs near us that are like proper English pubs
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:21 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me a while to figure out that they weren't actually 'Hotels'.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdt3000
I make it a general rule in my life to never question their ways here down under, but one thing here really has me confused... The lack of a proper 'British Pub'!

The Aussies try to emulate it, but try as they might, their 'pubs' always end up looking and feeling like plain old bars. It makes me wonder if the Aussies have ever actually BEEN in a pub in britain? And I mean a proper pub, not just one of those Wetherspoons Bar/Pub hybrids...

What does everyone else think?
The Pig & Whistle at the Plaza has some fine ales for sampling, I've spent many a happy hour "lost" in there, waiting patiently for Deb to find me
How about the Penny Farthing up on the range? Plenty of guest ales on tap with a nice ambiance & good food.
As Worzel said when it gets to 30°C supping a pint of Theakston's Best Bitter in the snug just doesn't appeal.
I like most of the pubs up here in Gympie, there's plenty of them, about 14 I'd guess. All do a nice cold beer on a hot day. I've grown to like them more with time, I've forced myself through the doors of each of them time & time again in an effort to wean myself away from the alluring warmth & hospitality of the Black Horse or the Nag's Head......................
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Crow
When I was living in Melbourne there were a few pubs on street corners around Prahran, Hampton, Sandringham etc. that looked and felt a bit more like traditional English Pubs than the ones up in Brissy do - (but then so did the weather) !
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
What about a 19th century pub, complete with original coach house, several very old red brick open fires, large comfy leather sofas, a pool table and even decent lager on tap (James Squire, Blue Tongue etc)?

http://www.berryhotel.com.au/
Spent the night there on my drive down from Sydney to Melbourne.
Or rather I drank there - I kipped in the ute.

Originally Posted by The Crow
You do indeed. Here's mine. 2k from the house with it's vineyard.
Attached Thumbnails British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...-badgepub.jpg   British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...-badgefire.jpg  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well I don't know where. There are none anywhere near where I used to live.
Here you go MP "Walkabout" pick the closest one to you
We even had one in GRIMsby
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:48 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Please define what a 'British Pub' is like.

Are we talking about the White Horse with wooden floors, oak beams, dart board, pool table, old mans saloon, bar stools with only 4 people drinking and one playing himself at killer?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:51 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cresta57
Here you go MP "Walkabout" pick the closest one to you
We even had one in GRIMsby

Its a sports bar then - witherspoons or Yates but with music - same same
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jonah38
Its a sports bar then - witherspoons or Yates but with music - same same
No no the OP was wanting traditional type British pubs i.e White Horse, Nags Head, Queen Victoria...........
Lamenting the absence of Pork Scratchings, warm beer & a good curry after a belly full of Watney's Red Barrel & a good punch up
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:12 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

If I wanted and English Pub I would go to England and if I wanted a Cornish Pub I would go to Cornwall. I'm living in Australia and, guess what, they have Australian pubs

Originally Posted by Bunna_Wabbit
When I was living in Melbourne there were a few pubs on street corners around Prahran, Hampton, Sandringham etc. that looked and felt a bit more like traditional English Pubs than the ones up in Brissy do - (but then so did the weather) !
Not any more. All pseudo-modern crap hotels now.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:21 pm
jonah

Originally Posted by cresta57
No no the OP was wanting traditional type British pubs i.e White Horse, Nags Head, Queen Victoria...........
Lamenting the absence of Pork Scratchings, warm beer & a good curry after a belly full of Watney's Red Barrel & a good punch up

The nail on the head - like it
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes.

Have you *been* there?

It's where the Burraw*nkers go to do their thing, it's cold, grubby and cheerless IMO. You *can* sit outside under a rusting corrugated iron shed roof on rickety tables though! The burgers aren't too bad. We did have some entertainment once when one of our party set fire to her new leather jacket on a candle, so there *are* plus points <g>.

But "Ye Olde Red Lion" it still ain't <g>.
Haha - yea, I went there the day of the show/fair/thing and recall sitting in that area out the back under a tarp as it pissed down with rain, with one hand over me schooner to stop the rain getting in it. I took that to be about as authentic a British pub experience as I was likely to get in New South Wales.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

cant really fatham what your all on about, to be honest i went out today to YE OLDE BRITISH PUB and it was shit, they had to put the outside heaters on and i was still freezin!!!! i can understand that you all miss it but i would give anything to be back in the easy sunshine, schooner, casual scene of my local surfclub!!!! so hey guys TRY and be grateful for dry warm weather EVEN in WINTER EH!!!!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I think what gets me is that many of the pubs in NSW, QLD & VIC (sorry not been to TAS or SA yet) are really just betting shops with beer licences. People in WA may not know this as its different there - more like UK where the betting is not inside the pub.

There are some pubs round us that would be a lot better if when it got to 9PM on a Friday night they turned off the TV's showing computerised horse racing that nobody is watching or betting on and put a bit of muisc on...or just turned the bloody things off.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:38 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Australia. Australia has Australian pubs

Why anyone would move to a country 12,000 miles away and expect the same as the country they left is beyond comprehension

I think you meant to move to Benidorm. You need to retrace your steps and turn right at the lights before you hit England

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.