Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all
Default Re: British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

The Mona Vale Hotel, The Narrabeen Sands, The Dee why Hotel
The fishos , The styne , The New Brighton the Ivonhoe
and its only 8 30 in the morning Roll on Sunday

God how lucky to be a middle aged single guy with a unit in Harbord
with sea views

my god i could be in England What a nightmare

The Harbord Hilton

Last edited by stariston; Aug 15th 2008 at 10:33 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
What about a 19th century pub, complete with original coach house, several very old red brick open fires, large comfy leather sofas, a pool table and even decent lager on tap (James Squire, Blue Tongue etc)?

http://www.berryhotel.com.au/
James Squire and blue tongue are decent beers?

I go to the Belgian beer cafe. Much better beer and no super chilled lager/ shandy in sight.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:15 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: British Pubs... The 'Australian' versions...

Originally Posted by jonah38
Please define what a 'British Pub' is like.

Are we talking about the White Horse with wooden floors, oak beams, dart board, pool table, old mans saloon, bar stools with only 4 people drinking and one playing himself at killer?
Definition of the 'British Pub' would by:
Preferable wood floors but stone or rotten worn carpet will do in a dark colour.
Not a pokie in sight or if they have to have one only one shoved out the way in a corner.
Large range of nice beers/largers and shorts with limited alcho pops all served cool but not frozen to death.
Large range of Crisps and bar meals.
Plenty of bar stools round the bar.
'4 people drinking' but one of them has to be the regular who has sat in that same place for the last 50 yrs on the same night of the week drinking the same drink and usually with a check jacket and flat cap and dog.
No Formica in sight as pubs are supposed to look warm and dingy not like a transport cafe, all tables to be wood and seats preferable leather topped with studs holding in the leather.
In years gone by a smokey atmosphere was a must where you had to strain to see customers but even in the UK this is fading.
Same bar staff, week after week and none of these spotty upety young kids you find in bars now.
Packed every Fri Sat and Bank Holiday Sunday by people who manage to leave the house after 8:30 pm.
Last and most important a 'stoppy back' to the wee hours non of this close before 10 pm business.

Mmmmm.... now where can we find one of those, the nearest we've came to it was the Nindigully only 6 hours from Brisbane a nice ride out and you can stop the night.

Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
James Squire and blue tongue are decent beers?

I go to the Belgian beer cafe. Much better beer and no super chilled lager/ shandy in sight.
Well whoop-de-****ing doo for you. Just because you prefer to drink some pretentious euro-lagers at $10 a midi, does not mean the rest of us are quite so gullible. The above mentioned are great lagers - but I suspect that even if they were the best lagers ever produced you'd still think they were shit on account of being produced in Oz.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Well whoop-de-****ing doo for you. Just because you prefer to drink some pretentious euro-lagers at $10 a midi, does not mean the rest of us are quite so gullible. The above mentioned are great lagers - but I suspect that even if they were the best lagers ever produced you'd still think they were shit on account of being produced in Oz.
YOu really do have a problem with me don't you.

Get over yourself. It's getting boring now. I don't drink lager hence why I said Belgian beer.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:34 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

YOu really do have a problem with me don't you.

Get over yourself. It's getting boring now. I don't drink lager hence why I said Belgian beer.
Why would I have a problem with some random entity on the Internet? Think you've got an over-inflated sense of self-worth mate. I just know bullshit when I see it - but to be honest, I think I understand you a bit better now having perused the website of the pub you mentioned ...
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tee Hee ur both so funny arguing over beer when neither Aussies or Brits would know a good beer if it jumped up and bit them!!!!!! I mean come on Boddingtons Ale for gods sake, or strongbow cider, how about VB from Oz ????????? My hats off to you sir for drinking in the Belgian Beer Cafe. At least they know a good beer and know that to find one they have to import it!!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Where did I say I didn't like all Aussie beers? No, that's right, I didn't so wind your neck in.

For your info, the best Aussie beers I have tried so far are Crackenback Pale Ale and and Murray's Sassy Blonde.

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Aug 15th 2008 at 11:42 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chief1980
Tee Hee ur both so funny arguing over beer when neither Aussies or Brits would know a good beer if it jumped up and bit them!!!!!! I mean come on Boddingtons Ale for gods sake, or strongbow cider, how about VB from Oz ????????? My hats off to you sir for drinking in the Belgian Beer Cafe. At least they know a good beer and know that to find one they have to import it!!!
My point exactly. Whilst I am a fan of 'real ale' i.e. the stuff CAMRA promote. I am aware us Brits also produce some terrible stuff, I mean have you ever had a pint of Carling!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Why would I have a problem with some random entity on the Internet? Think you've got an over-inflated sense of self-worth mate. I just know bullshit when I see it - but to be honest, I think I understand you a bit better now having perused the website of the pub you mentioned ...
Pot calling kettle.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There are quiet a few in Melbourne, They dont try to emulate British pubs, but they are more like them, than say the traditional pokie barn, or super shiny dazzling light places that seem to Prevail.

The bar scene in the Northern subs of Melbourne is very interesting now. Lots of Sofas and arm chairs, little rooms, outdoor gardens, different atmosphere in certain sections... almost preferable to the traditional UK pub... Try Brunswick Green Sydney Rd, Brunswick, or The Comfortable Chair, Nicholson st Brunswick. I've managed to find four in my local area, I'm sure there are more. I feel these clubs, that seem to be mostly found in Melbournes Inner North, are the best drinking places I've ever been in... surpassing English pubs. Big Call I know, but hell they are warm and welcoming.... Anywhere else in Aus got them ? I reckon you will eventually, and Brunswick and Fitzroy AFAIK, is where these little shop front multi roomed bars originated.

You can take your grandparents or your Toddlers to most of these places, thats how eclectic they are.

The Brunswick Green
http://www.melbournepubs.com/search?...unswick&se=SE1

The Comfortable Chair
http://www.melbournepubs.com/v/888/

Imbibe
http://www.melbournepubs.com/v/1214/

The Retreat Hotel
http://www.melbournepubs.com/v/624/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 16th 2008 at 12:31 am.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:49 pm
Australia's Doorman

Where did I say I didn't like all Aussie beers? No, that's right, I didn't so wind your neck in.

For your info, the best Aussie beers I have tried so far are Crackenback Pale Ale and and Murray's Sassy Blonde.
My point exactly. Whilst I am a fan of 'real ale' i.e. the stuff CAMRA promote. I am aware us Brits also produce some terrible stuff, I mean have you ever had a pint of Carling!
Pot calling kettle.
You going to go back and edit responses you made a week ago as well? Just so I can work out how far to 'wind my neck in'. Bottom line is - unless your beer's passed through the bladder of an 85 year old trappist monk fed purely on a diet of asparagus and neetle soup and is served at just above room temperature, it won't do. Well that's just you mate - and your taste - the fact that you don't like James Squire does not make it a 'bad' lager.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Here you go MP "Walkabout" pick the closest one to you
We even had one in GRIMsby
OK there's one in Watford but I would never have gone that far just for a drink. So from that website, what constitutes an Aussie bar is lots of TV screens. Lots of pubs have them, doesn't make them Aussie, just makes them pubs with big screens.

Anyway, I'm having a life so I'll leave a daft thread with people arguing irrationally about pubs.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:53 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

It all tastes like piss, be it British or Australian!

Now German beer is the real beer
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

You going to go back and edit responses you made a week ago as well? Just so I can work out how far to 'wind my neck in'. Bottom line is - unless your beer's passed through the bladder of an 85 year old trappist monk fed purely on a diet of asparagus and neetle soup and is served at just above room temperature, it won't do. Well that's just you mate - and your taste - the fact that you don't like James Squire does not make it a 'bad' lager.
Chill Winston.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.