Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:23 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

I already have one package at the post office and a second one coming by courier tomorrow. Can't be there to pick up either but I hope the statutory declaration works with both or else I have a plane flight down south coming up just to sign on the dotted line...
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
That might take a while - me being in QLD and them being in Ice Station Zebra (NSW).

I did have a Justice of the Peace sign an authorisation letter that included copies of my passport and their DL for the purposes of accepting any parcels or letters sent to me at that address.

Do I stand a chance that this will suffice?
Might do.
As Pen says it can depend on who is doing the delivering. If they have to pick up from the Post Office it can also depend on their helpfulness - I'm no lover of Aus Post but my local post office these days is great, they let someone from work pick up an item (that needed ID) for me once by talking to me on the phone when I couldn't get in to pick something up myself. Admittedly I do use the place a lot, but they still didn't have to go out of their way for me.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:57 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Actually courier A didn't end up leaving the package at the PO, so as a result we had two different DHL couriers over today (corporate efficiency, eh?). Neither required anything docs and both packages are now in safe hands awaiting my arrival.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Actually courier A didn't end up leaving the package at the PO, so as a result we had two different DHL couriers over today (corporate efficiency, eh?). Neither required anything docs and both packages are now in safe hands awaiting my arrival.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Susan41658 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the conversation 😊.
I'm due to fly out to Adelaide in November 2016 and my passport is valid until December 2018. After reading all your posts I'm wondering, is it worth renewing my passport before I leave at the end of the year, to give me that peace of mind and save a lot of hassle, or have you all found the process applying from Australia pretty easy going and think it would be worth just leaving until nearer the expiry?

Thanks for you help 😊
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susan41658
Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the conversation 😊.
I'm due to fly out to Adelaide in November 2016 and my passport is valid until December 2018. After reading all your posts I'm wondering, is it worth renewing my passport before I leave at the end of the year, to give me that peace of mind and save a lot of hassle, or have you all found the process applying from Australia pretty easy going and think it would be worth just leaving until nearer the expiry?

Thanks for you help 😊
I thought you couldn't renew a passport unless there was 9 months or less life left in it (ignoring the lost/stolen ones). Fairly sure you can't renew one that has 2 years left. Maybe things have changed.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Susan41658 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I thought you couldn't renew a passport unless there was 9 months or less life left in it (ignoring the lost/stolen ones). Fairly sure you can't renew one that has 2 years left. Maybe things have changed.
That was one thing I hadn't looked in too. Night shift brain, sorry! If that's the case then that makes my decision a whole lot easier and one less thing to worry about. Thank you!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:35 am
Just Joined

heartbeatoz is an unknown quantity at this point

What forms of ID will I have to send along with my Birth Certificate and Passport Photos as I haven't had a Passport since the 70's and how long does it normally take for a re-entry Visa to come through. Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by heartbeatoz
What forms of ID will I have to send along with my Birth Certificate and Passport Photos as I haven't had a Passport since the 70's and how long does it normally take for a re-entry Visa to come through. Thanks
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports will have lists of the documents required.

Not sure what you mean about a re-entry visa? If you are British you do not need a visa to enter the UK.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:29 am
Just Joined

heartbeatoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports will have lists of the documents required.

Not sure what you mean about a re-entry visa? If you are British you do not need a visa to enter the UK.
I've been living in Australia for the past 50 Years but haven't been naturalised so require a re-entry Permit to return to Australia.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:07 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by heartbeatoz
I've been living in Australia for the past 50 Years but haven't been naturalised so require a re-entry Permit to return to Australia.
Ah, right,y ou need a Resident Return Visa - see here http://www.border.gov.au/FormsAndDoc...ments/1085.pdf - totally separate from your passport application as the RRV comes from DIBP (Australian Immigration)
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just received my new UK passport - about 2 weeks after posting the application. So pretty quick

The new online application process is pretty straightforward and painless
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The new online application process is pretty straightforward and painless
Do I recall correctly that previously we had to get our photos countersigned each time?

Right now the passport process is smooth as silk. Type in some info online, print, sign, throw in two photos, and off it goes.

P.S. Keep in mind that up to 9 months of the validity of the current passport can be transferred over to the new one, so there's no reason to wait until the last moment to renew in order to make those passports last as long as possible.

Does anyone know whether child passports also get this extension?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by extension.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Do I recall correctly that previously we had to get our photos countersigned each time?

Right now the passport process is smooth as silk. Type in some info online, print, sign, throw in two photos, and off it goes.

P.S. Keep in mind that up to 9 months of the validity of the current passport can be transferred over to the new one, so there's no reason to wait until the last moment to renew in order to make those passports last as long as possible.

Does anyone know whether child passports also get this extension?
AFAIK they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.