Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Living in the Brisbane Area

British Living in the Brisbane Area

Old Nov 12th 2003, 12:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: BBC Series

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
what incentive is there for participation?
I was thinking the same

Personally, I can't stand these so- called reality shows (big brother, Aus idol, auction squad, renovation shows.. where they get a make over) .. not that I've ever seen these "get a new life" Brit type of shows... at least I'm spared from that.

What's the one on lifestyle channel they used to show here in Aus? (Brit programme) something in the sun.. podgy woman with dark hair.. filmed in Spain... remind me never to go and live in Spain... Poms paradise
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

I have to say that while we were in the 'process' of emmigrating, I personally found these programs such as as 'Get a New Life' addictive. I think they're brilliant and a lot of people I knew back in the U.K. enjoyed them too. One or two episodes were disappointing but on the whole I found them to be informative and stimulating. Ozzie television is DIRE and I feel that no comparisons to this program can be drawn from any of the shows here.

As far as I'm concerned we need more shows like this on the telly.

ps I am not a big fan of any of the Ozzie reality shows i.e. Aus Idol, big brother, reno squad etc. In fact I've completely stopped watching Aussie telly as it seems to be a load of tosh.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as it seemed a better option than sitting around twiddling my thumbs, I went out and met these guys today; I don't think I'm the only person thats had contact with them, but I think something like this should be up to the individual. I found the original "Get a New Life" series very interesting, but I can see that its not everyone's cup of tea.

They are producing a series covering 4 hours of tv (and its BBC2 so thats 4 hours, no ads!); half the series to cover the family that they have relocated to Queensland, the other half to be made up of interviews with/experiences of expats living out here. They are looking to provide a balanced view of life - good points AND bad points, the things that Brits find different, how Brits settle in, what sort of life we can have here - they were asking about various sporting events and activities, that kind of thing.
Seems a lot less sensationalised than I expected, and nothing goes on tv etc without signing a disclaimer. They're out here till the end of the year, and if anyone is interested in talking to them you can email them through the site.
I'm not being paid to promote them by the way, just telling things as I found them!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

oohh Polly - will you be on tele?

Debs
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno yet Debs, I have't decided whether the world is ready for me! They did seem to like the witch's hat though - maybe I'll have to do a re-run of my departure from Heathrow!
Just to give you all a laugh - I've just been sent a photo of one of my pre-departure flying lessons.......(took the baggy jacket off before the actual flight - it caused too much drag......!!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 10:09 am.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:51 am
WBB

jesus!!!

at a first glance i thought you were holding something else there polly.

Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Had to be you to say that, didn't it Billy!!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:00 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
Had to be you to say that, didn't it Billy!!

Is that a numbus 2000???

Sorry, the wife force feeds me Harry Potter!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Budget version of the Nimbus 2000, now available for hire! UK to Australia and only lost 2 bristles!!!!