Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

british licence in queensland

british licence in queensland

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

graydogz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question british licence in queensland

hi i'm moving to hervey bay qld in only a few days and i'd like to know what i have to do to get a aussie licence for a car and for a bike less than 150cc. i've held a British licence since i was 17 and i'm 24 now. i heard that you have to do your test again for a car but for a bike you have to be on learners for 6 months, can any one tell me what i have to do or point me in the right direction as i'm pulling my hair out with queenland transport website.

thank you
graham
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: british licence in queensland

Originally Posted by graydogz
hi i'm moving to hervey bay qld in only a few days and i'd like to know what i have to do to get a aussie licence for a car and for a bike less than 150cc. i've held a British licence since i was 17 and i'm 24 now. i heard that you have to do your test again for a car but for a bike you have to be on learners for 6 months, can any one tell me what i have to do or point me in the right direction as i'm pulling my hair out with queenland transport website.

thank you
graham
This should answer your question

WA
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourlicence/1363.asp
"If you are a visitor to Western Australia you may drive for a period of 12 months. If you hold a valid driver's licence issued in your State/Territory of Australia of which you are a permanent resident, you must carry your licence at all times when driving and comply with any conditions (where reasonable) that are endorsed on the licence.
If you intend on becoming a permanent resident of WA you must obtain a WA drivers licence within 3 months if you want to drive in WA."

NSW
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
"If you do not intend to stay in NSW and do not hold a permanent visa, you will be regarded as a visiting driver. If you hold a current overseas driver licence you are not required to get a NSW licence even if your stay is longer than three months. If the licence is not written in English, an International Driving Permit, or an English translation must also be carried with the licence when driving."

Queensland
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ional_drivers/
"When would my authority to drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence be withdrawn?
Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence will be withdrawn if you:
*Become medically unfit to drive safely.
*Have lived in Queensland for three months since gaining Australian citizen or a visa allowing an indefinate stay in Australia."

Tasmania
http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/lice...erseas_licence
"You can drive in Tasmania on your overseas licence if you –
*are a visitor OR
*have a temporary visa (e.g. international students, refugees, working, holiday) OR
*have a permanent visa and have been in Australia for 3 months or less

Victoria
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm
"If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit."

South Australia
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen..._residents.asp
Students, visitors and those who are working in South Australia on current temporary visas are permitted to drive with an overseas licence as stated below only while that licence is current. If that licence expires, you are required to obtain a South Australian licence.

If you hold a current overseas Driver's Licence of a particular class you may drive a vehicle of an equivalent class in South Australia if:

*you also hold a current international driving permit
*your foreign licence is written in English or is accompanied by an English translation of the details on the licence
*you are not disqualified from driving in South Australia or elsewhere.

You are required to carry your licence (and English translation if applicable) at all times when driving. You must produce the licence and your temporary visa to Police on request.

Northern Territory
http://www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/mv...07-2006-03.pdf
"An overseas visitor is permitted to drive in the NT using his/her current overseas licence, together with an International Driving Permit issued overseas (if the licence is in any language other than English). After three (3) months, the driver licence must be transferred to the NT (or an Exemption from holding an NT driver licence has been applied for and granted)."

Canberra
http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing...ceoverseas.htm
"Visiting drivers are not required to obtain an ACT Driver Licence providing their overseas licence and International Driving Permit are current. A visiting driver is a person from overseas who arrives in the ACT with no intention of becoming a permanent resident. This includes:

*tourists;
*business people;
*people on working holiday visas; and
*people studying or working temporarily in the ACT who intend to return to their home countries when they finish their courses or jobs. "
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I had to go through the same process 4 years ago. This is what I know.

You can drive (a car) on your UK licence for up to a year. To change over you have to go to a licencing place and take the theory test. I failed mine the first time, some of the rules are a bit different to the UK so it is worth revising. I can't remember how much it cost. But you have to pay again to take the test. And thats it. then you get a licence for however long you want to pay for. It is more expenisve (in the long run) to get a new one each year, but many females prefer this, as they take a new photo each time.

When you take your theory test, you can take a theory motorbike test. you have to answer about 10 questions and get 7 right I think. Then you have a provisional bike licene. from that you can learn to ride a bike. There are companies that do a thing call Q ride (i think) and you can learn and get your full licence in a day. This is what my ex did, and he had never held a UK bike licence.

One good thing about changing your licence over quickly is if you get a speeding ticket you can put it on your UK licence and not get any points on your Oz licence

I hope this helps
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

jdjnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

The queensland transport website link is already included in one of the above posts so this should give you all the info you need!

But as far as i'm aware you can only drive on your UK / Home country licence for 3 months until you have to get a QLD one.
You no longer have to take a theory test in QLD and just bring your UK licence to a transport office, fill in a few forms, pay 70 dollars (i think!) and hey presto in less than 10 minutes you have a QLD licence. The maximum length you can get a licence for is 5 years. Thats for cars mind you, but i imagine bikes should be no different if you have a licence for that too!!

Anyway if your in doubt look up the web site and try and take a defensive driving class before you come to QLD or hope that you're psychic as no one seems to signal over - i'm convinced the car companies would save a fortune if they made a car specifically for the Aussie market with no mirrors, indicators or brake lights, or brakes for that matter!! Only joking (but they are shocking drivers over here esp. in Brisbane!)

Have fun

Jon
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

woodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant futurewoodys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdjnr
Hiya,

The queensland transport website link is already included in one of the above posts so this should give you all the info you need!

But as far as i'm aware you can only drive on your UK / Home country licence for 3 months until you have to get a QLD one.
You no longer have to take a theory test in QLD and just bring your UK licence to a transport office, fill in a few forms, pay 70 dollars (i think!) and hey presto in less than 10 minutes you have a QLD licence. The maximum length you can get a licence for is 5 years. Thats for cars mind you, but i imagine bikes should be no different if you have a licence for that too!!

Anyway if your in doubt look up the web site and try and take a defensive driving class before you come to QLD or hope that you're psychic as no one seems to signal over - i'm convinced the car companies would save a fortune if they made a car specifically for the Aussie market with no mirrors, indicators or brake lights, or brakes for that matter!! Only joking (but they are shocking drivers over here esp. in Brisbane!)

Have fun

Jon
hi any one out there know about converting an HGV 1 licence
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdjnr
Hiya,

Out of interest, do you know if when you get your Queensland licence - do you have to surrender your UK one?

Sarah
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
graham
Hi. With regarding car licence, in Qld, no test is required anymore. This was abolished sometime last year. In fact, a lot of people who did the test towards the latter part of last year, were sent a refund, as it had been abolisehd some months earlier. Just pop into your nearest Department of Motor Transport, pay the fee, have photo taken, and they give you your Qld licence.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:12 pm
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by horrigans
Out of interest, do you know if when you get your Queensland licence - do you have to surrender your UK one?

Sarah
I recently got my QLD licence - no test. No I didn't surrender my UK licence which is rather handy because you can use it for ID at local surf clubs!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
graham
Provided you have your car and bike licence in QLD it simply swaps to a full open licence. No test. No nothing except a trip to Queensland transport.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Hi I had to go through the same process 4 years ago. This is what I know.

You can drive (a car) on your UK licence for up to a year.
If you have a permanent visa, Australian or New Zealand citizenship then this advice is completely wrong.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

graydogz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bike licence in queensland

thank you all for your help you have all saved me from loosing my hair
can anyone tell me a little more about the bike licence i don't have a 150cc uk licence so i'm not sure what i have to do thank you very much again

graham
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice
Default Re: bike licence in queensland

thank you all for your help you have all saved me from loosing my hair
can anyone tell me a little more about the bike licence i don't have a 150cc uk licence so i'm not sure what i have to do thank you very much again

graham
Try this site:
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...nce/Motorbike/
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have a permanent visa, Australian or New Zealand citizenship then this advice is completely wrong.

Any hint as to the correct advice then?

I picked up my QLD licence last week, you simply go in to QLD transport within 3 months, take a load of id, fill out a form, pay them $25-65 depending on how long you want your licence for (they expire over here so you have pay again!). They take your piccy and then within 5 minutes you drive off with Qld licence, and UK in your wallet, easy !

I also found my insurance was cheaper if I got my licence first, I saved $70!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:45 am
Banned

Uncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by woodys
I've looked at this quite a bit (see threads by Fluffy the campfire slayer & 232bar) and it seems like you do your theory test which is 10 questions on things like load safety and driving hours, then you have to do a practical test. The main difference on this seems to be that you do a left hand and right hand reverse using only the mirrors, not like the 'up on one cheek hanging out of the window' type I did in the UK. Give me another week or two and I'll confirm it for you as I'm about to convert mine
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:18 am
Just Joined

mpkadudes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodys
hi, i am in the process of getting my HGV licence converted to QLD. you have to sit a 10 question multiple choice paper , then you have to have a practical HGV driving test. the theory cost $17 an the practical cost $45. plus you have to pay for the hire of your test lorry. you can drive on your UK HGV licence for 3 months first, but tricky getting someone to employ you before you have a QLD one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.