Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Justice Sucks

British Justice Sucks

Old Jun 6th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sean & Debbie,

Sincerest commiserations on what is yet another travesty of justice.

You and your family have shown great courage and restraint.

Why is it that judges find it so difficult to cope with the idea of Justice?

Did the Judge really think that anyone, other than the scumbag and his family, would leave the court room thinking the decision was fair?

No matter how gravely the Judge tried to sum up the lizards life the fact is he walked out of court a free man and able to drink in a pub a mere 100yds away from his victims house!

No justice system is perfect but too many cases like these happen everyday. The thing is out of control!

I wonder how different it would be if judges had to be elected?

You could bet that they would then pay far more attention to the thoughts of ordinary people.

Sorry to rant on but you have been sold out and it makes my blood boil. Is there anyone out there who thinks this verdict was just?

I would like to hope that Australia will help to draw a line under this for you but realistically part of your thoughts will always be with this tosser.

Ask some friends to keep an eye on him because the chances are he will revert to type and justice will eventually catch up with him.

Best wishes for the future

Bill
Old Jun 7th 2003, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't add anything to the sentiments already expressed but from a purely practical point of view, making threats to kill is a criminal offence as long as you believe the threats and are in fear of them which you obviously are. As they were made in front of the court staff you should not be short of witnesses. Suggest you go to your local police station and make an allegation against chummy and his family. Even if no action is taken, it will be additional evidence that can be used to take out a restraining order to prevent them coming near you. Although obviously it cannot guarantee that they won't, your local police should be aware of the order and should respond immediately if you need to call them.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you make sure that your local paper are aware of the incident and what has happened subsequently. I'm sure they would love to run a story about a sex pest living in the community...

Best wishes for the future and I hope that you will soon be able to put this nasty episode behind you.

Ben
Old Jun 7th 2003, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default re: British Justice Sucks

you deserve a break.
i've always felt that our justice system was fair and balanced but this proves otherwise.
hope its not too long before you can pack your bags and escape these nasty people.
good luck to you and your family and for what its worth there are people keeping fingers crossed for you in birmingham.
karen
Old Jun 7th 2003, 6:03 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: British Justice Sucks

Sean and Debbie
As we have 3 daughters (one being 15) our thoughts go out to you, it is so hard being a parent, you can do your upmost for them,only to find that some mindless scumbag comes along and destroys it all, Im afraid the system is far to soft allowing people like this to almost get away with murder!!!!!!
It happened to me at that age and I never told anyone till my late 20s so had to work it all out for myself luckily(if you can call it that)your daughter will have your love and support to help her get through it all, keep your heads in posative and think of Oz as a new start, you all can get through this and there will be light at the end of the tunnel, hard as it may be to see that now,
love to you all
Suz
Old Jun 7th 2003, 6:24 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Absolutely crazy. In America a sex offender isn't allowed to live within 35 miles of his victims house. This country doesn't go forward, it just keeps going backwards.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I was so sad to read your news. They say that the best revenge is to live well, so bring your family to Australia and make a happy new life here. He'll be stuck back there where, make no mistake, the local people will know what he did and he'll be forever pointed out as a scumbag. Good luck, adelaidegirl
Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:00 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Is there a local equaliser or even thug you can hire, i will put £20 in for you, should be able to get some justice for around £50 i reckon. Yes i know its not the right thing to do, but when the system lets you down what do you do.
PM me if you need the money.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

My thoughts go out to you after this terrible event.
The judges and courts don't seem to understand that the fact that the offenders get away with the crime can make you as angry and damaged as the crime itself.

The other sickening thing is he is now free to re-offend as much as he likes. That is not your problem, you have all done the right thing by reporting it and going through a difficult trial.I think it will be a long time before things change over here.

The idea of you all emigrating to a new country is an excellent one. It will be a fresh start for you all and won't be tainted by that bas***d being near by.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you and your daughter can put it all behind you. You are lucky parents to have such a strong willed fighter for a daughter. You must be proud of her.

Best wishes

Tina
Old Jun 7th 2003, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts are with you and your family like most decent people who read this.

If there was any justice in this country this bastard would be hung
while his scum family were forced to watch, then they would all be hung too.

In your instance i'm sure the grass will be greener on the other side of the fence, and 12000 miles is a very big fence between
them and your new life in Aus.

All the very best to you all

Remember, and I know its hard sometimes, that this trash are in a very small minority and that most people in the world would rather help you than hurt you.

Alex
Old Jun 7th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Sean and Debs,
really gutted to hear about this, gutted isn't really the right word it ain't strong enough.
Any ways mate you know where I am, and if you want me and a few select colleagues of mine to pop into the local one evening drop me a pm
Old Jun 7th 2003, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I was so sorry to see how one person could change a family’s life and perhaps affect a young woman’s future. You are right to be angry at the Justice system here, it does suck. I am in awe of the strength that you have shown in not only dealing with this appalling act, but in the way your holding things together enough to share your story.

Your right to look forward and I hope that the new start ahead of you will help you to let go a little. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that somewhere along the line you need to forgive, this isn't the same for everyone. Letting go may feel more achievable right now. I'm also aware that there are many people out there who feel that the person who did this needs help or was in some way injured or abused themselves. Many people have terrible beginnings but this doesn't excuse them from acts such as these in there adult life.

Deep down this B*****D knows what he has done and life has a way of dealing with scum like this. You might not be around to see it - but it will happen.

As for your daughter I hope she is able to get any help she needs and turn into a good person like her father.

Take care, all the best in OZ.

Thats my rant done.

Ozzy Dog's wife. xx
Old Jun 7th 2003, 9:15 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default update

Hi All, I thought I'd better post an update and thank you all.
Just had a visit from the police officer who dealt with our case he's appalled by the sentence passed, apparently it was a suspended one! I just heard the judge say he was free to go after his paperwork was signed and went into shock must have missed that part.
A couple of points, Paul, an injunction only stops law abiding people we've had one for his ex-wife and he just used to stand over the road staring, the police could do nothing as he always disappeared before they arrived. Also he has no assets and even if he did it wouldn't replace the childhood innocence he stole from her. She's now a hard faced wary 17 yr old with a bad attitude, she grew up way to fast [they're all like it I guess]. We've cut her a lot more slack than we'd have liked due to the circumstances and hope she finds happiness and settles down soon. She virtually gave up at school, luckily she landed a placement at college as a hairdressing student and is trying her best now to rebuild her life. She's applied to Bundaberg college and also another called the Cooloola Sunshine Institute of TAFE and The Maryborough Campus to continue her hairdressing studies. She's a good kid and I'm very proud of the way she's coped with the last couple of years it's not been easy for any of us and we've all shed tears I just hope we can draw a line under it now.
I've been sat here like a coiled spring all night hovering between giving him a good kicking and paying for his legs to be broken luckily my folks are back from Aust. and are staying with us so I've had my mother's "voice of reasoning" reminding me that reprisals would make me as bad as him and possibly ruin our application. Dad on the other hand feels justice has not been done and the whole family can understand now why there's an increase in vigilante actions within the present system. The judge also ruled that due to the nature of the crime reporting restrictions would not be lifted so he doesn't even get "named and shamed" in the local rag.
We would like to thank you all again for your kind words and advice, moving away is now definitely our only option as I'm quite certain Deb and I will end up on the wrong side of the law if we were to stay.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

This letter appeares in Sunhine Coast Sunday June 8.

I'm disgusted. The magistrate takes into consideration a 36 year old mans devotion to his family and good work history when sentencing him for indecently dealing with a very young girl.

Why should this be taken into consideration when sentencing him?

The only consideration he had was his own depraved urges

B. Thompson
Kawana QLD

This letter could have been written about the very incident in the UK.

Justice from Grimsby to the Sunshine Coast has one overwhelming similarity, its far too soft. So much sympathy for the attacker not the victim. It really amazes me the similarity of complaint, it almost points to a universal message of people getting away with crime. Very wrong and very sad.

Last edited by dotty; Jun 8th 2003 at 4:12 am.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

"The judge also ruled that due to the nature of the crime reporting restrictions would not be lifted so he doesn't even get "named and shamed" in the local rag."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a journalist and I'm absolutely horrified by all of this. In reference to the local paper not being able to report the matter, I am positive the judge cannot keep reporting restrictions as the case is now over and journalists can now report on the case.

Your daughter is guaranteed anonymity but the sicko isn't, whether he is innocent or not. And if I am wrong (the laws might have changed since I last did court reporting four years ago) then forget the local rag, go straight to a tabloid national newspaper.

Someone like the News of the World are running a "Name and Shame" campaign following the murder of Sara Payne. I have contacts at national newspapers if you would like to pursue this matter further.

Good luck with everything

Gavin
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice

Hi Sean and Debbie

I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you. I cannot believe the way they let people like that away with this. It's disgusting.

Wishing you the very best for your new life.

Take care,

Bidd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.