Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BRITISH FOOD YOU MISS ?

BRITISH FOOD YOU MISS ?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: BRITISH FOOD YOU MISS ?

I don't really miss anything as there is always an alternative here BUT
Coles on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane have a little section with UK Products
Including
*Marmite
*Wetabix
*Sarsons Vinegar
*PG Tips
*Those biscuit thingys that are from Scotland (Chocolate and chewy caramel in gold and red wrapers - begins with T?)
*Homepride Curry in a Tin
*Robinsons Lemon Barley - this is one thing I buy regularly as i couldn't find anything i really liked.
There is also a UK sweet shop near Central Station – I indulged in a Toffee Crisp the other day!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazah
no warburton crumpets but they do sell crumpets just not the same

for the people who miss or going to miss pasty's im sure i seen a thng in the uk like a toasty maker that does pastys if not ask someone if they can pick up a plastic pasty cutter / maker i know i have seen that

Brumby's Cornish pasties are top notch. A bit peppery, too.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:21 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hey Dazah - not sure if you know this already, but gammon in Aussie should be found under the name of ham steaks. I found gammon to be the same thing when I came to UK.

Also - weetabix - Seriously? Its the same down under (unless somehow they crush the wheat completely different ) - the main difference is the spelling - 'weetbix' (may info may be out of date by 6 years so my bad if you can't buy it now). Maybe my palate isn't as sophiscated as the English

I'm am curious to know what foods I am going to miss - nothing mentioned is anything I like yet but I am sure there will be something - a good indian takeaway most likely.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:27 pm

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

ham stakes are not the same as gammon i have tried them

wheetbix are not the same the english ones steal your milk aussie ones stay the same size its just a taste thing

another thing good old british black pudding

as someone said (homer style mmmmmmmmmmm G.A.M.M.O.N )
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

the foods i miss from uk

1 scampi
2 gammon
3 walkers pickled onion crisps
4 danish bacon
5 lilt that totaly tropical taste lol
6 COD and chips
7 corn beef PASTY from newbolds

my daughter misses

1 pot noodles

of all things lol
1 Colemans Horseradish
2 Colemans Mint Sauce

If anyone knows where I can get these please let me know
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:35 pm

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

ok the topic yet again

my wife miss's anadin extra and calpol for the 2 year old
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Cadbury's Flake, Sainsbury's cheese and onion flan, gooseberry crumble

kips
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:23 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Racht70
Nooo cheese and onion crisps out there???

What about warburton crumpets please say they have them?
I forgot to state Walkers.... I miss them.

No Warburton out here.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:43 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Jaffa cakes, proper cadburys choc, Doner kebabs with mint sauce and mayo (Mmmmmmmmmmm). Kids miss Haribos
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

ok the topic yet again

my wife miss's anadin extra and calpol for the 2 year old

Calpol is called Panadol here, it is exactly the same except for one is strawberry flavour and the other is tootie fruity flavour.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin4414
Jaffa cakes, proper cadburys choc, Doner kebabs with mint sauce and mayo (Mmmmmmmmmmm). Kids miss Haribos

I bought some Jaffa cakes from Salisbury last week - they were yummy
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rabc
That's the way - sometime even wake up with a slice of meat stuck to your forehead
I used to heat my left-overs up and have it for breakfast
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Kernow is a jewel in the roughKernow is a jewel in the roughKernow is a jewel in the roughKernow is a jewel in the roughKernow is a jewel in the rough

Clotted Cream,
REAL pasties
Butterscotsh Angel Delight ,,
Revels and Minstrels..

Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Not missing many foods except

Double Cream - this is the main thing I miss as I have not found anything close to an alternative
Ambrosia Custard - vanilla custard just is not the same
Bisto Gravy Granules - or even Tescos own AND in large tubs not the piddly little cans of gravox you get that do one/two meals!
Naan Bread - have to use Turkish bread with our curries!
Shortbread Biscuits - taste far too buttery here

Washing powder is another matter though - anyone recommend something that does not bleach your clothes and leaves them smelling like they have been washed. Used to use Bold liquitabs in the UK but no-one has heard of them hear - currently using Duo but the colours are fading fast!!!!

on a plus side we eat a lot of veal which was always one of my favourites in the UK (just not very popular) and at last I have found vanilla choc chip ice cream. We have found nice bacon in some of the butchers but never come across marmite which my son will be stocking up on when we visit the Uk in June.

Very true about the kebabs - just not the same here

Helen
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:06 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hel&Will

Washing powder is another matter though - anyone recommend something that does not bleach your clothes and leaves them smelling like they have been washed.
I only use the enviro-friendly brands and they do the job without bleaching. Your clothes will also bleach if you dry them in direct sunlight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.