British Exodus

Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: press request

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Most that leave UK for Oz are not professionals.
Any figures to back that one up?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Any figures to back that one up?
Be my guest to rummage through the DIMIA site and others. Of course, if you do unearth statistics to prove that I'm wrong, please share them.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:16 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Be my guest to rummage through the DIMIA site and others. Of course, if you do unearth statistics to prove that I'm wrong, please share them.
Here are the facts Mike....shared

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/20planning.htm

Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Here are the facts Mike....shared

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/20planning.htm
We await a shared apology don't we? Somehow I can feel a 'most of the skilled are not what I call professionals' argument coming along!

OzTennis
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denial

Isnt it odd the aussie government is holding some sort of enquiry into brain drain/why so many aus professionals are leaving. The issue has been been discussed in australian newspapers and media as a problem for at least the 4 years I've been back, its been the subject of several News report type shows too.

But mention it on this forum and the gates of wrath open every time, its like Noooooo way can aussies be leaving australia, yet even our government admits it, Australians are leaving Australia, there just say it, its not that incredible really
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:05 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Denial

Originally Posted by jad n rich
But mention it on this forum and the gates of wrath open every time, its like Noooooo way can aussies be leaving australia, yet even our government admits it, Australians are leaving Australia, there just say it, its not that incredible really
Who is desputing that Australian professionals are leaving Australia?

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Sep 21st 2004 at 9:13 am.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:08 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Exodus

We left the UK to live in Australia months ago in search of a better way of life.

We have hit the ground running. This whole emigration process takes it out of you in ways you can never imagine, emotionally and physically. Whilst you are sat in the familiarty of your own home, in your own country, surrounded by your loved ones, be it friends or family, you feel such a sense of adventure, all the old sayings keep springing up into your mind "we'll regret it if we don't do it" "we'll always be wondering what if". You get so wrapped up in the whole exciting process of immigration that sometimes the real reasons of wanting 'out' get pushed to one side.

So it's nice to be able to re-think all the reasons why we wanted out of our Mother Country!

We wanted 'out' of the UK to pursue a better quality of life for us and our two children. We were no way under the impression that life would be rosey out here, in fact we had done our best to try to mentally prepare ourselves for the worst case scenario. All we wanted was to be a little financially better off, live in a larger home and to benefit from a nicer climate, one that offers you the opportunity to pursue outdoor activities.

Well, we have achieved the latter two. The financial side is as bad as it was back in the UK! :scared:

We have yet to work out whether having the nicer home etc is worth giving up all of those loved ones back home. No-one can prepare you for the homesickness, it hit's so hard somedays, I wake up with a knot in my stomach. Only time will tell on that one.

Our children, we feel, are better off. They have a more carefree lifestyle here. Yes, we know there are preverts out there, but they are not so prolific as in the UK, we don't feel quite so paranoid about their safety and well-being. We don't worry about them in the same way. I hope that I will happily allow my children to go off and play when they are older, without the worries I would've had back in the UK.

We don't have youths rampaging around our streets intimidating elderly people and causing complete havoc, without a care or worry about the law or consequence of their actions. We do however have the odd 'hoon' who thinks it's hilarious fun to use the roads on our estate as a drag racing circuit! They must spend a fortune on tyres!

There are so many ethnic mixes here I haven't a clue where most of them are from. But for some reason, it doesn't bother us either. After all, aren't we immigrants too? I don't think the asylum problem in the UK can be compared to the ethnic communities that live here. We had a problem with the ayslum issue in the UK, not through any fault of their own, but through the fault of the Government and the whole way it was handled. For the average, hard-working bloke, who usually couldn't get a red cent off the state in "Family Tax Credit' or the like because they earned too much (which meant you lived on the bread line!) it would infuriate them to see these asylum seekers come into our Country, sit their backsides down in some Social Services office, and magically be given a roof over their heads, benefits in their pockets and food on their table, without having to raise a finger. No wonder there is friction.

Australia is not the promised land, it is not utopia, it has problems and real issues, but on the whole it can offer a nicer way of life. But you have to be prepared to take the good with the bad, then you have to balance it all up to see whether the sacrifices were worth it.

All of the above, is of course, in my opinion.

Now, is the sun over the yard-arm? Is it tinnie time now?!!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:46 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We await a shared apology don't we? Somehow I can feel a 'most of the skilled are not what I call professionals' argument coming along!

OzTennis
I can't find any specific figures for professionals, associated professionals, managers/administrators or tradespeople/related workers[as per the skilled occupations list].
However, as most trades people score a higher number of points than all of the "associated professionals" and most of the "professionals" It's made easier for tradespeople to emigrate here.
Just a shot in the dark but If Australia needed more professionals I'd say the points would/will/should go up accordingly. Instead the general number of points required went up. Hardly conducive to encouraging more professionals

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...oints_test.htm

Skill .................................................. ..................................Points

For most occupations where training is specific to the occupation....60

For more general professional occupations....................................50

For other general skilled occupations ...........................................40
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holte end

Our children, we feel, are better off. They have a more carefree lifestyle here. Yes, we know there are preverts out there, but they are not so prolific as in the UK, we don't feel quite so paranoid about their safety and well-being. We don't worry about them in the same way. I hope that I will happily allow my children to go off and play when they are older, without the worries I would've had back in the UK.

We don't have youths rampaging around our streets intimidating elderly people and causing complete havoc, without a care or worry about the law or consequence of their actions. We do however have the odd 'hoon' who thinks it's hilarious fun to use the roads on our estate as a drag racing circuit! They must spend a fortune on tyres!

D
You make some fair points there.
I would ,however ,just pick up on a couple:

Where I live we don't have 'rampaging' youths causing havoc.

Secondly there are no more 'Perverts' in the UK than any other country and your kids are no more or less safe than they would be in the UK. The difference is a change in your own perception of danger. As you say you 'don't feel so paranoid'. That does not mean that Australia is any safer than anywhere else.

Good luck

G
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

Secondly there are no more 'Perverts' in the UK than any other country and your kids are no more or less safe than they would be in the UK. The difference is a change in your own perception of danger. As you say you 'don't feel so paranoid'. That does not mean that Australia is any safer than anywhere else.

Good luck

G
I have to agree with you on that. The media does its best to make people think behind every corner is a pervert. I have had a mother saying to me she can't let her kids outside after I asked why, she told me with all those perverts out there, it wasn't a good idea. She was genuine scared. I think it is just perception if you live in another country you feel safer. It doesn't mean you are safer though.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stuee
Would have to agree with you r Swindon comments, lived there all my life and was also in the Police Force there, I always remember fondly being given the Penhill car for a set of day shifts.

Live in NZ now, went back to see my Dad when he was very ill, you see alot when your in the cops but I was shocked at the amount of asylum seekers that were there. It was happening when I left in 2000 but still!
Swindon Town Centre was like a ghost town, chewing gum, whats the crack with the chewing gum all over the floor, must have forgotten about it when I left as there seemed to be about 50 years worth of chewing gum on the floor.

But after all that its still home! must need my top 2 inches checked out!

Well I know very well that Penhill isn't a desirable area, but really those kind of estates you will find anywhere around the world. How do you spot the difference between an asyum seeker and an immigrant. My husband works with a lot of highly qualified immigrants from all around the world. I am just wondering how you spot an asylum seeker .
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:19 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Perhaps DIASPORA?

Exodus:

Shalom, Quinkana!

I'm impressed. A highly suitable post at this time of Rosh Hoshana. I'm sure this guy Oliver should be writing for the 'Jewish Chronicle'....

Anya.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck

G
Hmm the point I think is 2 and a half times more people in a land area say 1/40 the size - even if they are not proportionately more prevalent they are certainly more likely to be in a neighbourhood near you methinks. Imagine 57 million Victorians rather than 4 or 5 mill to put in context.

OzTennis
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Hmm the point I think is 2 and a half times more people in a land area say 1/40 the size - even if they are not proportionately more prevalent they are certainly more likely to be in a neighbourhood near you methinks. Imagine 57 million Victorians rather than 4 or 5 mill to put in context.

OzTennis
Maybe OT

But Considering that most Australians live in areas of high density population (Ie. the main cities and their suburbs) I would imagine you are just as likely to live close to a bogeyman :scared:

Also Given the anonimity to be found in many Australian suburbs then there would be even less knowledge of where the 'dangers' may be.

G
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:37 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

G
Hi Grayling,

I would like to take this opportunity to come back at you and your comment above about the rampaging youths situation. If my memory serves me right, you live in a beautiful cottage in the Peak District, am I right? I recall seeing photographs you'd taken from your window and I remember feeling, what I can only describe, as envy!

I would say that in such a rural, quiet neighbourhood, the hooligan problems just wouldn't happen. I was generalising I suppose, based on my experience of living in a city or a large town.

I would honestly say, hand on heart, if I'd lived in an area such as yours, and our financial position was one that we could afford to have a decent, if not lavish, lifestyle, I would still be in the UK now. To be surrounded by such glorious countryside and to have the financial freedom that I believe you have (please forgive me if I am being too personal) would be my idea of Utopia. I would love my children to go to a local village school, to be brought up within a community that village life offers, but unfortunately we could never afford such a life.

I do often read your posts and wonder why on earth you would want to leave such a wonderful part of England? It just goes to show doesn't it, everyone has their own personal reasons for doing this.

I live in hope of winning the lottery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.