Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Wikiposts

Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:48 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain in danger of becoming as much of a nanny state as OZ

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Resorting to personal insults, now thats a surprise for Expats!

Why not go to your logical conclusion and ban Alcohol form Restaurants, Hotels, Music venues, after all if you cant go without a drink in these places, you must be sad.

I am glad people with your attitude are leaving the UK, too many anally retentative people here, go to Oz you will fit right it.

Nice one Kong. That wasn't aimed at you at all. I've always been against booze in public. Here in Oz and in the UK.

Have a good night.

Paul.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:49 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Absolutely right!! I was on the tube yesterday at Rayners Lane, when a drunken twat clutching a tin of Stella jumped on board, with several more in a carrier bag, and started making an arsehole of himself. It's just not necessary. I'll have a tin of Stella of an evening but there's a time and a place.

This turd looked like he didn't have a job, so it leaves me wondering where he could possibly get the money from to get himself bladdered at 11 o'clock in the morning.

This is nothing to do with the nanny state, which quite rightly stated can go too far. This is part of attempting (it won't stop the already pissed) to protect the public from a small section of society who thinks it's OK to inflict their yobbo behaviour on others.

I always seem to sit next to the nutter on the train. It's much worse if the nutter is mullered. :scared:

Flash.

Ahhhh.. Rayners Lane. Next stop Eastcote. Last place i lived before leaving
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

BazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the rough

I am not a fan of overlegislation like many of you on here. I would just like to add my bit to this debate.

I often travel up to derby for meetings. The meetings are generally high powered "negotioations" (read arguments), and I often indulge in a glass or two of wine on the journey home by way of relaxation. Nothing wrong with that and no reason why I should be prevented from doing so. I am not getting bladdered or causing trouble.

I have spent a lot of time working in Europe and (as also mentioned in this thread) have been impressed by the way that many bars and pubs are open all hours of the day and night but people in general exercise self control over what and how much they drink. In my opinion the problems have little to do with the availablility of alcohol but far more to do with a society where we are educated from a young age that getting pissed is big and clever and manly.

If we change the culture we stand a chance of solving the problem. Of course how we go about changing the culture is open for debate!!!!

Barry.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the problem isn't the drinking on the train, but the drinking before getting on the train (or going out in the street etc). Need to aim for the cause rather than the outcome and then there might be a bit more success.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:09 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Surely the problem isn't the drinking on the train, but the drinking before getting on the train (or going out in the street etc). Need to aim for the cause rather than the outcome and then there might be a bit more success.
Never mind the booze - what about the burger King eating , thats far more prevelant.

I blame the school system for allowing these children to eat with their mouths open in the first place. A class action should be filed against burger king for advertising burgers being eaten in one massive bite instead of dainty ones.

When I found out that in australia (queensland to be precise) you are not allowed to eat on trains and whats more there is no such thing as burger king it was all I could do to restrain myself from buying an air ticket and becoming an illegal Aussie, as it was I had to wait 6mths to get a visa, putting up with people on the train eating in my face..... im going to come back and get them one day..every single one.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by suzimc
You hit the nail bang on the head. Andy