Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BRIT opinions Versus Aus on areas?

BRIT opinions Versus Aus on areas?

Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default BRIT opinions Versus Aus on areas?

I have had loads of really helpful rec of places to live, but I have noticed a weird thing....all the Sydneysiders like the places the Brits HATE and vice versa? What does this mean? I am REALLY confused, 3 Aussies LOVE Marrickville and Hate Bondi, and 3 Brits LOATHE Marrickville and LOVE Bondi??

Any ideas?

PP
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRIT opinions Versus Aus on areas?

Originally Posted by plantpot
I have had loads of really helpful rec of places to live, but I have noticed a weird thing....all the Sydneysiders like the places the Brits HATE and vice versa? What does this mean? I am REALLY confused, 3 Aussies LOVE Marrickville and Hate Bondi, and 3 Brits LOATHE Marrickville and LOVE Bondi??

Any ideas?

PP
Don't worry about what other people think. Only you can find out for yourself.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?

PP
I think Brits (and other immigrants) can be fairly unimaginative sometimes in terms of suburbs.....they tend to go where everyone else has gone before. It's only after living in the country for a period of time they tend to diversify their list of suburbs of choice. The aussies of course have had much longer to do that already.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I think you really need to be in Australia to decide what area.

I like North of Perth, but most expats and Australians in Perth look at you like your bonkers! But speaking to people in Perth (Australians) most have never been to my town. Listening too much to other people and you could miss out on your ideal place to settle. Most people tend to play it very safe.

Id make any decision when you are here. Also going to a town/estate that every expat moves to on arrival is bound to be expensive.

Gems
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:31 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?

PP
say bugger it and move to the gold coast
its cheaper and hell of a lot less congested than sydney
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve`o
say bugger it and move to the gold coast
its cheaper and hell of a lot less congested than sydney
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I am not basing my opinions on what others say per se, I just wondered why people (Aussies and Brits) like the opposite type of places....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

I don't like Bondi. I think it's naff.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alborg
Lol are you an Aussie or Brit?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

I lived in Australia for many years & am just now heading back out after 18 years in the UK.

I was appalled to find out that the western suburbs of Sydney (where people used to drive shaggin wagons, wore ugg boots & stashed winnies (blue or red not sure that it mattered) up their tshirt sleeves snob? moi? never ) are now becoming the areas to live. My sister insists on finding houses for me out west & I keep saying you will never get me out there! Took a trip to Mount Druitt waterworks once where they used to put razor blades on the slides (or was that just an urban myth thought up by someone from the north shore?)

What's the saying? One man's trash is anothers treasure. Home is most definitely where you find happiness, all areas of Sydney and indeed Australia have their own unique flavour if you don't like salt n vinegar crisps try cheese & onion instead. If I had just bought that house in Paddington instead of spending all my money enjoying the nightlife 7 nights a week then I would be all set. So help me if she phones me again with property somewhere out the back of Woop Woop I will tell her my plans have changed & I'm moving to Perth instead (I loved Perth.)

However that said I shall be waiting until I get there to have a look around, things have changed so much everywhere in the last 20 years & don't go off what anyone says about a place. Go & grab a coffee in the afternoon & walk through the area or just watch the world go by, you may just be surprised what you find. Wish someone would convert the opera house into flats. That would be a perfect place for me to live although a cardboard box at Circular Quay is appealing too
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alborg
My only concern about Bondi is that the guy at the surf rental place didn't tell me to wear a tshirt & I ended up with scabbed nipples & chest :curse: .I think he just wanted to see the just off the plane child hurt, nasty man!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stepbeanie
I lived in Australia for many years & am just now heading back out after 18 years in the UK.

I was appalled to find out that the western suburbs of Sydney (where people used to drive shaggin wagons, wore ugg boots & stashed winnies (blue or red not sure that it mattered) up their tshirt sleeves snob? moi? never ) are now becoming the areas to live. My sister insists on finding houses for me out west & I keep saying you will never get me out there! Took a trip to Mount Druitt waterworks once where they used to put razor blades on the slides (or was that just an urban myth thought up by someone from the north shore?)

What's the saying? One man's trash is anothers treasure. Home is most definitely where you find happiness, all areas of Sydney and indeed Australia have their own unique flavour if you don't like salt n vinegar crisps try cheese & onion instead. If I had just bought that house in Paddington instead of spending all my money enjoying the nightlife 7 nights a week then I would be all set. So help me if she phones me again with property somewhere out the back of Woop Woop I will tell her my plans have changed & I'm moving to Perth instead (I loved Perth.)

However that said I shall be waiting until I get there to have a look around, things have changed so much everywhere in the last 20 years & don't go off what anyone says about a place. Go & grab a coffee in the afternoon & walk through the area or just watch the world go by, you may just be surprised what you find. Wish someone would convert the opera house into flats. That would be a perfect place for me to live although a cardboard box at Circular Quay is appealing too

Winnies?????? thought UGG boots were the height of fashion????

OOOOO see we all see different things,but yes like the idea of coffee and watching the world go by.....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL good points - most of the Aussies I know snigger in their beer when anyone mentions maybe moving to the Gold Coast. Seen as a tacky tourist resort full of retirees basically yet the Poms take one look and think it is one step down from heaven. No accounting for taste!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is true and I think that Aussies and long term pommy Aussies definitely have different views.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL good points - most of the Aussies I know snigger in their beer when anyone mentions maybe moving to the Gold Coast. Seen as a tacky tourist resort full of retirees basically yet the Poms take one look and think it is one step down from heaven. No accounting for taste!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.