Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbanes Totally OTT property market

Brisbanes Totally OTT property market

Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:09 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbanes Totally OTT property market

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We've decided to invest in Qld as WA is too expensive. We are looking at Cairns.
good choice I reckon. I believe that over the next 10 years people will appreciate that Cairns is a great place to live. With the redevelopment of the airport and also new airlines moving into the territory, Cairns will become more and more accessible.

If I had some spare cash, I'd follow suit !

One thing though - Lets hope that the barrier reef and the atherton tablelands are not ruined by Cairns growth.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:10 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.... and unfortunately it is going to get progressively worse. When we were looking for a new rental, it literally became a drag race to get between two houses, between me and the OH and two single girls. They won after we took a wrong turn at Old Northern Road, Albany Creek. Drat and double drat.
Not like you to get lost
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:26 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by markallwood
good choice I reckon. I believe that over the next 10 years people will appreciate that Cairns is a great place to live. With the redevelopment of the airport and also new airlines moving into the territory, Cairns will become more and more accessible.

One thing though - Lets hope that the barrier reef and the atherton tablelands are not ruined by Cairns growth.
Can you just keep away from Cairns until after we have arrived please.

Anyway I hear it's a terrible place to live.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:27 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markallwood

You can see it happening already. Cairns was on my possible places to live as seemed very scenic and chilled but still had a main area with commodities as well and lots of cool places to go. Only problem was there weren't enough jobs in my husbands line of work although I'd have got one no problem.

Maybe we'll retire there but not sure if I could hack the summer humidity as Brisbane's is quite wicked at times.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:15 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Gone up about 500% since 2001.
Only in a few very special places!

We bought our 4bedroom house in Brisbane leafy west (The Gap) in 2001 for $230K. We've had good growth and I'm not complaining, but it'd be valued now at around $600K thats WAAAAY less than 500%!

You might've got 500% if you invested in Bulimba, New Farm, (Inner suburbs by the river) or Wynumm, Manly (Bayside).. but most of Brisbane has had growth a little less frantic... and for the record our growth has been BELOW what we would've had if I'd held onto my small house in Newbury, Berkshire!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
WAAAAY less than 500%!
....yes, 500% is somewhat of an exaggeration! The top peforming suburbs over the past 5 years have seen growth in the 150 - 200% range.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/re.../buying/tools/
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:28 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Pottered down yesterday to attend a open home with friend whos buying after divorce, thinking that budget would give us an idea what our kids would face if they bought.

Nice but old house, only 2 beds, tiny, no building reports, in obvious need of some repairs etc, But total bedlam..................

21 CONTRACTS on the property on the day

Never seen anything like it ever

knew brissie was suffereing a population surge but thats bloody crazy.

Anyone else out there buying ? how have you found it
We're building a house in Wakerley and to be honest it is costing us far more than we originally anticipated having to pay for a house.

One the plus-side, sitting tight for a few years should return a tidy increase in equity. For the moment, the mortgage is substantial but we are hoping the "madness" will allow us to reap the rewards in the long-term.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:29 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Only in a few very special places!

We bought our 4bedroom house in Brisbane leafy west (The Gap) in 2001 for $230K. We've had good growth and I'm not complaining, but it'd be valued now at around $600K thats WAAAAY less than 500%!

You might've got 500% if you invested in Bulimba, New Farm, (Inner suburbs by the river) or Wynumm, Manly (Bayside).. but most of Brisbane has had growth a little less frantic... and for the record our growth has been BELOW what we would've had if I'd held onto my small house in Newbury, Berkshire!
Hey, we hail from Newbury. Whereabouts were you living?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:33 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

we hail from Newbury. Whereabouts were you living?
I was in a tiny 1.5 bedroom (second bedroom was 10'x5' with 4'6" ceilings) cottage in "Speen" back in '97-'98 When they were building the A34.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:36 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

I was in a tiny 1.5 bedroom (second bedroom was 10'x5' with 4'6" ceilings) cottage in "Speen" back in '97-'98 When they were building the A34.
You mean the A34 bypass right? I think the A34 has existed for quite some time.

Did you live on the bend, just before you head out of Newbury and just after the post-office, whilst travelling towards Hungerford (house on the right-hand side)?

(Also, just before the speed-camera)?

Did you live in Newbury for a long-time?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:06 am

After the post office.. right hand side... (when going towards Hungerford)
Just opposite the pub (dingey hellhole - but it WAS only 30m from my door)!

..You seem to have an uncanny ability to describe the area - you didnt live in the same place did you?

Nah Newbury was only home for a little while, before that I grew up in B'Stoke and got educated in Keele, Staffordshire....
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:11 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
(Also, just before the speed-camera)?
I know the speed camera you mean
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:36 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

After the post office.. right hand side... (when going towards Hungerford)
Just opposite the pub (dingey hellhole - but it WAS only 30m from my door)!

..You seem to have an uncanny ability to describe the area - you didnt live in the same place did you?

Nah Newbury was only home for a little while, before that I grew up in B'Stoke and got educated in Keele, Staffordshire....
I looked at one of the cottages on the right-hand side of the bend when I was buying a place back in '98.

I lived in Shaw (on the top of the hill on Kiln Road and then on the Manor Fields estate) and Thatcham (predominantly Shaw though).
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:41 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by walaj
I know the speed camera you mean
Good memories I hope?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:46 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I lived in Shaw.
OMG v close to where we lived!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.