Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane water supply ?

Brisbane water supply ?

Old Sep 7th 2006, 7:47 pm
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough
Default Brisbane water supply ?

hi everyone living in Brisbane , my boss just got back from brissy , he said the water supply in the house he was in was from a tank in the garden which is fed from rain water off the roof so how do you make this drinkable.?
may sound like a silly question but just had to ask . cheers
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Brisbane water supply ?

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
hi everyone living in Brisbane , my boss just got back from brissy , he said the water supply in the house he was in was from a tank in the garden which is fed from rain water off the roof so how do you make this drinkable.?

Rainwater is perfectly drinkable in its normal form. However, some people like to filter it just in case.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Brisbane water supply ?

Never heard of this one!! I have a tank in my yard which feeds the hot water system, but I don't think we're drinking from it!!!! We have been drinking the tap water since we got here 9 months ago and it's perfectly safe in my house! No runny tummies or anything horrible. I have heard about recycled water systems that they are putting in new houses, but not sure exactly how they work.
Hope this helps!
Claire. x
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

As Vash says, a lot of people drink it "as is". You can buy filters that go under the sink so it's already filtered when it comes out of the tap. We are only using tank water at the moment (much prefer it to the town supply which is bore water and tastes "funny"!) and we use a Brita water filter jug
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:55 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few people on Tank Water, you should try it tastes better then the stuff from the taps. Maybe the bird poo that washes off the roof adds flavour.

The tanks are plastic and don't let any light in so nothing can grow.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Brisbane water supply ?

We asked the same silly questions before we bought our house with tank water but now we are quite happy as with increasing water restrictions we have full tanks (thanks to all that rain last week) and a bore in the garden to use for other water... no mains water at all.

Tank water goes into plastic, metal or concrete tanks and stays quite cold despite the heat then it comes into our house via pipes, pump and internal pipe filter so we don't need use Brita just change the internal filter every few months. You get to love the fact it isn't full of chlorine and if drinking mains tap water first thing you notice is the chlorine smell. Wouldn't drink the bore water though smells of sulphur and has quite a bit or iron in just use that to wash clothes etc. with.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Never heard of this one!! I have a tank in my yard which feeds the hot water system, but I don't think we're drinking from it!!!! We have been drinking the tap water since we got here 9 months ago and it's perfectly safe in my house! No runny tummies or anything horrible. I have heard about recycled water systems that they are putting in new houses, but not sure exactly how they work.
Hope this helps!
Claire. x
Outside of most aussie cities and major residential areas, many aussie towns dont have anything but houses on tank water, you dont have to go far at all, we go to a nursery 10 minutes inland from coolum beach, water has ended by the time you get there.

Aussies find it perfectly acceptable, many prefer it, can be a hassle when it does not rain for extended periods. Go really outback and people use water according to the rainfall, which is often not much
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:42 pm
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough

thanks for the replies everyone. Ivan