Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane vs Adelaide

Brisbane vs Adelaide

Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane vs Adelaide

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Try Mount Barker in SA. Small town but a (moderately) easy commute into the Adelaide CBD - try driving via the freeway/Upper Sturt Road to Belair and then catching the train to avoid the city peak hour traffic. Stirling and Aldgate are even closer. Or if beaches are a priority try the Fleurieu Peninsula, somewhere like Normanville or Yankalilla.
Very helpful thanks. Will check it out when on holiday.

I'm also looking for fun things to do whilst I'm there. Did someone mention there are lots of vineyards in that region?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser

I'm also looking for fun things to do whilst I'm there. Did someone mention there are lots of vineyards in that region?
Yep, north and south of the city.

I'm up north in Galwer, working in the Barossa - trains run regularly from here down to the city but it's an hour journey although there is some work in the northern suburbs.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:18 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide is surrounded by vineyards.

North is the Barossa and Clare Valley, South is McLaren Vale and to the East are the Adelaide Hills - all have numerous famous and boutique wineries and cellar doors and a few boutique breweries too. Lots of opportunities to go on wine tours and there are many wine festivals on at various times of the year.

Cherokee mentioned Stirling and Aldgate - gorgeous little towns in the Hills that have regular markets. But they are pricey due to their location.

If you are into cycling, you can hire free bikes in the city and cycle along the Torrens either to the sea (think it finishes at Glenelg) or head towards the Hills, again along the Torrens. Some glorious scenery and you would get a good view of some of the development works happening along the riverfront. The oval looks fairly impressive.

If you like wildlife of the non-native variety, Monarto Zoo is like a mini safari park with lions, giraffes (spot the crooked neck one), chimpanzees etc. Adelaide zoo i sgood too. For native wildlife, I like CLeland Wildlife park on Mt Lofty, and Mt Lofty house and gardens are worth a visit for afternoon tea.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Brisbane since July, having lived in Perth and Melbourne as well. I can say that when I first got here it didn't blow me away and I thought Melbourne was the place to be. As time has gone on I have found that it is a place that once I've scratched beneath the surface it grows and grows on me. It is each to their own though and I can't comment on Adelaide as I've only even spent a week there. Barossa Shiraz is in a world of it's own though.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Never been even slightly interested in Melbourne TBH. Anyone from Melbourne office who comes up here as soon as they open their mouth - the tulips come flowing out. It just seems hyped and likely to disappoint. What is about Brisbane that makes it grow on you?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

What is about Brisbane that makes it grow on you?
This will be interesting.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

6 years now since I left Brisbane...I think in that time I've been back about 3 times, mainly going along with my partner who was working a conference on the weekend...I just can't think of a reason to go!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone from Melbourne office who comes up here as soon as they open their mouth - the tulips come flowing out. It just seems hyped and likely to disappoint.
I wish it wasnt so hyped, its a good choice but more gritty than many would admit.

We are down in Melbourne now, since mid feb, due to kids at uni. Spent a few months there years ago, these opinions are this time around. ( Have retained house in QLD, for holidays and partner still works there ).

One, there is a lot of events, something big many weekends. Traffic and transport to get to them is often a nightmare though.

Weather. I love the cooler nights, but the days can be unbearably hot, the heat is dry, but heat is intensified by being in a large and polluted city.

Love the cafes culture, but dining out far too expensive.

Love the markets, but dont go to a trendy suburb, pick one with a bad reputation, we are buying fruit, bread, veg and meat at less than half the supermarket prices. Local Vietnamese restaurants in these areas can be very good.

Jobs, lots of competition for them, partner in Construction management earns far more in QLD, the rules, regs and local experience thing rears its head, ( even for an aussie ). Plans to get house approved going on for months now, neighbor took 9 months.....

Kids are students, I did not realize there was such a cheap wage culture for part time casual work. They can get OS students for this type of work and pay them much lower. Many kids in sons lectures working for $8 an hour!!!! some $14 too.

Very very obvious drug culture. Far more obvious than QLD. Some pretty grim crimes too. QLD is no stranger to drugs/crime but far more in your face in melb.

Great place for weekends, hobart $30/$60 one way, Similar for adelaide. Lots of nice drives hour from melb, Autrum in macedon etc will be very pretty.

Housing. we all know its up there with worlds most expensive, blah blah but didnt know decent rentals were bid up too Plenty to rent but OMG such dumps and they know someone will rent them.

All in all, it is a nice change from QLD, I often feel like I am in some gritty part of Manchester or Birmingham. Its a city I love in winter, to me finding somewhere occasionally cold in australia is a big bonus. I enjoy the variety of weather, not monotonous sunny blue skies in QLD, for 9 months a year.

Non food Shopping is good too, but expensive, a sweater I just bought in the US was 49 there 349 in melbourne H&M the exception to expensive for quick fasion fix, the european shops like Zara seem incredibly popular. Nice to be able to wander round them without a 24 hour train trip.

Its not European, more Asian if you had to pick one, with a few European historic buildings, so good to see they didnt demolish them like Brisbane did. But its still very Australian, Bogans and all.

Fun place for a few years I think, Victoria has the huge advantage of being smaller, no need to drive 20 hours to see the same thing Nitty gritty, down to earth, fun, diverse, and downright seedy all combined and totally crap traffic even compared to the notoriously bad brisbane peak hours .

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 18th 2015 at 11:50 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I wish it wasnt so hyped, its a good choice but more gritty than many would admit.

We are down in Melbourne now, since mid feb, due to kids at uni. Spent a few months there years ago, these opinions are this time around. ( Have retained house in QLD, for holidays and partner still works there ).

One, there is a lot of events, something big many weekends. Traffic and transport to get to them is often a nightmare though.

Weather. I love the cooler nights, but the days can be unbearably hot, the heat is dry, but heat is intensified by being in a large and polluted city.

Love the cafes culture, but dining out far too expensive.

Love the markets, but dont go to a trendy suburb, pick one with a bad reputation, we are buying fruit, bread, veg and meat at less than half the supermarket prices. Local Vietnamese restaurants in these areas can be very good.

Jobs, lots of competition for them, partner in Construction management earns far more in QLD, the rules, regs and local experience thing rears its head, ( even for an aussie ). Plans to get house approved going on for months now, neighbor took 9 months.....

Kids are students, I did not realize there was such a cheap wage culture for part time casual work. They can get OS students for this type of work and pay them much lower. Many kids in sons lectures working for $8 an hour!!!! some $14 too.

Very very obvious drug culture. Far more obvious than QLD. Some pretty grim crimes too. QLD is no stranger to drugs/crime but far more in your face in melb.

Great place for weekends, hobart $30/$60 one way, Similar for adelaide. Lots of nice drives hour from melb, Autrum in macedon etc will be very pretty.

Housing. we all know its up there with worlds most expensive, blah blah but didnt know decent rentals were bid up too Plenty to rent but OMG such dumps and they know someone will rent them.

All in all, it is a nice change from QLD, I often feel like I am in some gritty part of Manchester or Birmingham. Its a city I love in winter, to me finding somewhere occasionally cold in australia is a big bonus. I enjoy the variety of weather, not monotonous sunny blue skies in QLD, for 9 months a year.

Non food Shopping is good too, but expensive, a sweater I just bought in the US was 49 there 349 in melbourne H&M the exception to expensive for quick fasion fix, the european shops like Zara seem incredibly popular. Nice to be able to wander round them without a 24 hour train trip.

Its not European, more Asian if you had to pick one, with a few European historic buildings, so good to see they didnt demolish them like Brisbane did. But its still very Australian, Bogans and all.

Fun place for a few years I think, Victoria has the huge advantage of being smaller, no need to drive 20 hours to see the same thing Nitty gritty, down to earth, fun, diverse, and downright seedy all combined and totally crap traffic even compared to the notoriously bad brisbane peak hours .
Each to their own hey. All the negatives you point out are a bonus in my eyes
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:23 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Oz for over 30 years and have lived roughly 50:50 in Adelaide and Brisbane. Which do I prefer? Well..........

Brisbane for the climate (yes I know, personal choice, don't like very hot or cold), the outback access, and the fact that I have work here!

Adelaide for the countryside around, the hills living (lived in Blackwood and loved it), and the fact that our kids and grandkids live there.

Currently in Brisbane. May go back to Adelaide when I retire - it's a coin toss at present.