Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Type of clothing to take?

Brisbane - Type of clothing to take?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane - Type of clothing to take?

We're trying to cut down on the amount of clothing we take to Brisbane. I have quite a few jumpers, etc, is it worth taking them or will it be cold enough for long enough that I need them?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:17 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Type of clothing to take?

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
We're trying to cut down on the amount of clothing we take to Brisbane. I have quite a few jumpers, etc, is it worth taking them or will it be cold enough for long enough that I need them?
You might not need them the first year, after that you'll be as rugged up as the rest of us. Bring them all & decent jackets
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
You might not need them the first year, after that you'll be as rugged up as the rest of us. Bring them all & decent jackets
Oh, how true is this! my first winter here I wore summer clothes and couldn't understand why people were wearing jumpers,coats etc. Having said that, after many years I very rarely wear a jumper and have never worn a coat. However, I was born in Edinburgh and they recon if you can survive there you can survive anywhere! Bring your jumpers but forget your coats!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Hi we have lived in brisbane for two years, for 8mths its shorts & t shirt, the other 4mths long pants & sometimes a jumper, i would bring a waterproof coat thats about it, if you look at day time temps winter will get down to 15 & in summer upto 40, two mornings this winter i got a little frost on my car. Bet you cant wait to throw all the winter cloths good luck with your move Gary
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Oh, how true is this! my first winter here I wore summer clothes and couldn't understand why people were wearing jumpers,coats etc!
Same here! Every winter now I am rugged up with jumpers, coats and multiple layers to bed with the rest of them!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would bring all your stuff. In Winter I wear a jumper and also use my coat, whereas my husband is just in t shirts and may put a jumper on two or three times throughout the whole winter. When we first came and saw all the fleecy pjs in Target we laughed, but we soon got some as it drops cold at night and remember the houses do not have insulation or heating so 7 degrees really feels like 7 degrees.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you dont mind if I tag on to this thread? OH will be working in a government office in Brisbane CBD commuting by train from Helensvale.

I am guessing it will be ok for him to wear a short sleeved shirt under his suit but was wondering if thats ok? I know some offices where short sleeves are frowned upon.

Anyone else working in a CBD office who can offer advice?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I binned (well, charity binned!) all my jumpers apart from a couple...

Was a bit of a wake up call this winter here in Australia! LOL! Thank goodness for Target!

Yep, bring the jumpers and bring the coats! It does get cold here.. and if you want to venture south over the winter months (business trips or holidaying?) then you will def need them..

Em x
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:58 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hope you dont mind if I tag on to this thread? OH will be working in a government office in Brisbane CBD commuting by train from Helensvale.

I am guessing it will be ok for him to wear a short sleeved shirt under his suit but was wondering if thats ok? I know some offices where short sleeves are frowned upon.

Not sure about government offices, but why would he wear as short sleeved shirt ? By choice then its fine I guess.

If its because of the heat, I wear a suit everyday. Everywhere is air conditioned, home, car, train , office... You can wear long sleeved and not worry !!

Nick
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Its easy to forget the aircon.

OH currently works in sunny Bootle. 7th floor office. Needs short sleeves as the office is really hot. Can't open the windows though because he can hear the shouts of the locals below!!!

Braced for replies from peope in Bootle now
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

I commuted from Nerang to the CBD, for a few months, worked for a semi goverment company, short sleeves are fine, nobody wears a tie, I didnt ever have to wear a jumper in the day.

Friday was dress down day.

Good Luck

Last edited by Letspretend....; Sep 27th 2008 at 9:48 pm. Reason: spelling!!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that letspretend. I know that with everything else to organise this seems like a very small worry, but I just want him to get it right on the first day. (Its like first day at school for the kids)
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Hey, know that feeling, felt like that first day, but soon settled had a great welcome. The CBD is a great place to work, IMHO
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I have seen the thread about the Tuesday evening piss ups in the CBD so I have a feeling he might start "working late" on a Tuesday!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RenShen

I would think it would be safe without a suit unless the position was in senior management or had direct dealings with business, politicians or media.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.