Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane to Sydney drive

Brisbane to Sydney drive

Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane to Sydney drive

Going to do the Brisbane to Sydney drive via the coastal route and plan is

day 1 will be Brisbane to Coffs Harbour
Day 2 will be Coffs Harbour to somewhere
Day 3 will be somewhere to sydney

Problem is where should the somewhere be? Port Macquarie is too close to Coffs Harbour, but nowhere else is sticking out as a likely destination. so any advice on a destination for a night roughly halfway between Coffs Harbour and Syndey?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:14 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane to Sydney drive

We dont usually take so long - but break it up as follows:

Brisbane-Grafton (4hrs - leave 4am in time for McBreakfast at 8am)
Grafton-Taree (4hrs - leave 8:30am in time for a quick lunch 12:30pm)
Taree-Sydney (3hrs - leave 1:30pm arrive plenty of time for dinner 5pm...)
====
13 hours total journey time (exluding unscheduled stops for 'discussions' with NSW highway patrol!)

Its a long day starting early but gets the travel all done.

If you're intent on stopping in Coffs then I'd be seriously tempted to go through in 2 days. Failing that spend most of your day 2 in Coffs in the morning and just do a roadside stop&go from somewhere in Taree or Forster - but theres not a lot to do in the area so no need to hang around and sight-see. Perhaps even push on to Newcastle and give yourself a trivial 3rd day driving?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
We dont usually take so long - but break it up as follows:

Brisbane-Grafton (4hrs - leave 4am in time for McBreakfast at 8am)
Grafton-Taree (4hrs - leave 8:30am in time for a quick lunch 12:30pm)
Taree-Sydney (3hrs - leave 1:30pm arrive plenty of time for dinner 5pm...)
====
13 hours total journey time (exluding unscheduled stops for 'discussions' with NSW highway patrol!)

Its a long day starting early but gets the travel all done.

If you're intent on stopping in Coffs then I'd be seriously tempted to go through in 2 days. Failing that spend most of your day 2 in Coffs in the morning and just do a roadside stop&go from somewhere in Taree or Forster - but theres not a lot to do in the area so no need to hang around and sight-see. Perhaps even push on to Newcastle and give yourself a trivial 3rd day driving?
The plan is to kind of take our time and enjoy the drive down, got 6 days in total, so time is either spent in places on the way down or in Sydney itself. Will have a think about Newcastle.

Just need to find a wee secluded beach I can just drive the campervan right up to and park for the night, that's the fantasy anyway lol
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:05 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

ahhh - well if you're in a van and looking for a quiet sleepy beachside location then I'd be tempted to check out:

Evans Head
Yamba
Nambucca Heads

and then further south:
Fingal Bay/Nelson Bay
or Shelly Beach/The Entrance
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DadAgain
ahhh - well if you're in a van and looking for a quiet sleepy beachside location then I'd be tempted to check out:

Evans Head
Yamba
Nambucca Heads

and then further south:
Fingal Bay/Nelson Bay
or Shelly Beach/The Entrance
Will do, thanks
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hunter Valley is a nice stop. 20 mins off the highwat. Port Stephens always nice.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

I always liked Port Macquarie, dunno why just a nice little place.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Maybe Taree, or go down the New England Highway for a change and stop at a couple of places - Tamworth - Armadale, whatever. It does not matter which town I stop at, they all have something interesting to see.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

We did this recently journey recently - both ways.
Coming down - Brisbane to Byron, Byron to Nambucca, Nambucca to Sydney.
The stop offs were lovely - Byron is Fab, and Nambucca would be if it wasn't raining. Both campsites overlooking the sea.
However, the rest of the drive isn't overly inspiring I didn't think.

New England Highway on the other hand is a great drive - very easy in terms of traffic and roads, and arguably better scenery - 1yYou don't get to see much of the Pacific on the Pacific Highway... Bris to Tamworth - long day, but a couple of nice little towns to stop in, and Tamworth looks like a decent place for a night out.
Tamworth to Sydney 5 or 6 hrs.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
We did this recently journey recently - both ways.
Coming down - Brisbane to Byron, Byron to Nambucca, Nambucca to Sydney.
The stop offs were lovely - Byron is Fab, and Nambucca would be if it wasn't raining. Both campsites overlooking the sea.
However, the rest of the drive isn't overly inspiring I didn't think.

New England Highway on the other hand is a great drive - very easy in terms of traffic and roads, and arguably better scenery - 1yYou don't get to see much of the Pacific on the Pacific Highway... Bris to Tamworth - long day, but a couple of nice little towns to stop in, and Tamworth looks like a decent place for a night out.
Tamworth to Sydney 5 or 6 hrs.
Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it in one day - started at about 5am and was there to pick my wife up at the airport when she landed around 6pm. Long day's drive, particularly if you're on your own, but doable: that was going down the Pacific.

Doing it again this Christmas, probably go via the New England and take a couple of days as we will be towing the camper.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

amomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really nice

Sorry to highjack the thread (not sorry enough not to do it ) but what's Tamworth like? Due to start work there early next year
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've driven from the GC to Tamworth in one go before now.... only because I got slightly lost at Nerang... and decided going down the coast wasn't such a good idea. Is there a sign to Goondawindi in Nerang or not ?

Went as far south as Lismore and decided to head to Tamworth. Quite a interesting drive that one. Ended up at one of the highest points in Australia. Nice Countryside and very hilly.

I'm not doing those long long 14 hour drives anymore though. Last one put me right off. Port Macquarie to Melbourne in one go. I also did Tamworth to Melbourne in one hit.

One thing high on my ambition list is the artesian Spas at Moree. Anyone done those ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 21st 2011 at 12:13 am.