Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane suburbs. Help please city on city surrounds

Brisbane suburbs. Help please city on city surrounds

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:41 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane suburbs. Help please city on city surrounds

We are looking in to areas around the city so please come up with places to suit or needs or as amnyt as poss

What we want is to know when yyou decribe a suburb/town to us is:-

Is it a nice place to live. Are there markets/shops/decent eateries(independant cafes/restaurants in the area. If so then where is the best place for this to live

We are a youngish childless couple who hope to try when we get there for kids but the above are our priority for an area. We want a villagey feel with a nestling of shops like butchers,bakers,vegshop a few clothes shops and nic nac places with quite a few decent places to eat.

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks for any suggestions. Commuting time uniumportant as long as we are near a bus or train or ferry into town or fortitude valley within 3/4 of an hour bus/drive/train/ferry ride.

There must be places out there i can research in advance

ive heard nundah is quite nice?

Thanks

al and clare
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:54 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs. Help please city on city surrounds

Not quite sure how endless your list of requirements is, but we, along with a few other expats live in Redland Bay. Approx 45 minutes from the city. It has a village feel to it with a small community of shops and eateries. Its far enough from the main highways to be queit from excess traffic but close enough to commute. 5km down the road is Victoria Point, with a fairly new shopping centre, housing some of the major stores, more cafes, coffee shops and eateries, and soon to open, a new cinema.
We have lived here for 18 months now, and would never dream of moving out of the area.
Drop me a message if you want any more info.

Neil.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:22 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil.b
Not quite sure how endless your list of requirements is, but we, along with a few other expats live in Redland Bay. Approx 45 minutes from the city. It has a village feel to it with a small community of shops and eateries. Its far enough from the main highways to be queit from excess traffic but close enough to commute. 5km down the road is Victoria Point, with a fairly new shopping centre, housing some of the major stores, more cafes, coffee shops and eateries, and soon to open, a new cinema.
We have lived here for 18 months now, and would never dream of moving out of the area.
Drop me a message if you want any more info.

Neil.
Thanks for your answer.

Redland bay is lovely, but when we settle down we will think of this sort of area like when we in our 60s.

No disrespect about the area, its lovely, but to us it would mean going insane as we need plenty to do within reach, i especially get bored and hate peace and quiet every day.i dont mind it occasionaly.

We lived in the country for a year in cheshire and it felt like i was dead!!

Redlands is in the middle of no where in our eyes. When i say villagey feel i mean not sleepy, i mean a cool place and laid back with cafe bars. I live in a place called west didsbury in manchester and its a great mix of students/young professionals/doctors/city workers/media types and scallies. It has every type of eatery in the village and has a few bars/pubs/cafes and is a 20 minute bus ride into town. It has a couple of pound shops and a smattering of independant clothes shops, a somerfield for everyday items and is a real trendy suburb of manchester. We d like sonewhere like this. It is 4 miles into town.
Bohemian is fine.

When i say city fringe i mean you could cycle in if you wanted sorry for the mis-understanding like new farm, balmoral sort of distances in to the city door to door not just a driving time so more specifically a 15-20 minute bus/train ride please.

ANYTHING AT ALL TO GO ON PLESAE HELP
thanks alot

al
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:03 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alkristensen
I live in a place called west didsbury in manchester and its a great mix of students/young professionals/doctors/city workers/media types and scallies. It has every type of eatery in the village and has a few bars/pubs/cafes and is a 20 minute bus ride into town. It has a couple of pound shops and a smattering of independant clothes shops, a somerfield for everyday items and is a real trendy suburb of manchester. We d like sonewhere like this. It is 4 miles into town.
al
I suggest staying there!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

Thanks for your answer.

Redland bay is lovely, but when we settle down we will think of this sort of area like when we in our 60s.

No disrespect about the area, its lovely, but to us it would mean going insane as we need plenty to do within reach, i especially get bored and hate peace and quiet every day.i dont mind it occasionaly.

We lived in the country for a year in cheshire and it felt like i was dead!!

Redlands is in the middle of no where in our eyes. When i say villagey feel i mean not sleepy, i mean a cool place and laid back with cafe bars. I live in a place called west didsbury in manchester and its a great mix of students/young professionals/doctors/city workers/media types and scallies. It has every type of eatery in the village and has a few bars/pubs/cafes and is a 20 minute bus ride into town. It has a couple of pound shops and a smattering of independant clothes shops, a somerfield for everyday items and is a real trendy suburb of manchester. We d like sonewhere like this. It is 4 miles into town.
Bohemian is fine.

When i say city fringe i mean you could cycle in if you wanted sorry for the mis-understanding like new farm, balmoral sort of distances in to the city door to door not just a driving time so more specifically a 15-20 minute bus/train ride please.

ANYTHING AT ALL TO GO ON PLESAE HELP
thanks alot

al
That was a bit harsh!! I think Neil was just trying to help as when you say village i think most would think of somewhere quiet and peaceful and FRIENDLY!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:38 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it was a bit harsh..... we loved Redlands while we were there had many a lovely night in Cleveland having a meal and drinks looking at the boats in the marina.

And last time I looked I wasn't 60

Kaye
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ormrod7
That was a bit harsh!! I think Neil was just trying to help as when you say village i think most would think of somewhere quiet and peaceful and FRIENDLY!!!
I agree, it sounds a bit harsh but was not meant as so. i did explain what i menant, and one persons heaven is another ones hell. Thats why i said i mena no disrespect. Im used to a certain sort of area and i dont want to leave that behind to move to somewhere i wouldnt like, and peace and quiet is my idea of hell. So is most of the area surrounding manchester. I like the grubbiness and newness and diversity of a city fringe, not a barrat style urban estate, and thats my choice.

If you knew me then im not into twee and lovely quiet spots for kids and families.
Cleveland and surrounds are great, just not my cup of tea.
I think the shopping precinct is adequate and there are pockets of stuff around there. I suppose im more of a city edge as in like town centre
outskirts like 1-4 miles away thats all i was trying to say, not to dis anyones idea of heaven.

Ive tried all types of accomodation in the past and have lived rural cheshire and london, manchester and preston, so i have done country town and city and ive whittled it down to a perfect area---for me.

City surrounds to me is like islington and camden for london, not surrey and essex.

City surrounds means didsbury and heaton moor for manchester, not warrington and wilmslow.

Thanks
#
al

Last edited by alkristensen; Feb 3rd 2007 at 8:59 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wardy2
I agree it was a bit harsh..... we loved Redlands while we were there had many a lovely night in Cleveland having a meal and drinks looking at the boats in the marina.

And last time I looked I wasn't 60

Kaye
its only a personal thing. i didnt say you have to be 60 to live there. I said personally id have to be 60 to move there. I have /want/need too much to be going on with in my new life to keep me from missing my friends back home. I want the buzz of a city near my doorstep not a forty quid cab fare home.

Personally, moving to bayside FOR ME would be like I had given up my life for someone elses.

I am not saying that its a rubbish place full of old biddies. I said that i personally would feel as though MY LIFE as a busy minded individual wouldnt have enough to do there. Id have too much time on my hands to think about home and life and death. But thats just me, ive no doubt other people love there life there.

Things can really be taken the wrong way on here.

al
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking in to areas around the city so please come up with places to suit or needs or as amnyt as poss

What we want is to know when yyou decribe a suburb/town to us is:-

Is it a nice place to live. Are there markets/shops/decent eateries(independant cafes/restaurants in the area. If so then where is the best place for this to live

We are a youngish childless couple who hope to try when we get there for kids but the above are our priority for an area. We want a villagey feel with a nestling of shops like butchers,bakers,vegshop a few clothes shops and nic nac places with quite a few decent places to eat.

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks for any suggestions. Commuting time uniumportant as long as we are near a bus or train or ferry into town or fortitude valley within 3/4 of an hour bus/drive/train/ferry ride.

There must be places out there i can research in advance

ive heard nundah is quite nice?

Thanks

al and clare
Hi al n clare,

I have friends (ex Manchester) that live in Bulimba. It's beautiful - has all the qualities you require - and you can catch the CityCat into the City. It has all coffee shops and eateries along Oxford St., a cinema, a Woolies (food) clothes shops etc.
It does have a "Didsbury" feel about it.
I have seen kids there too.
Hope this helps, lj
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:21 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

So what changed your opinion ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337121

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

"We then came back up to the Redlands area and looked all around Was very impressed by the area as a whole has alot going for it in the way of links to Brisbane(within the hour im told) and was everything we wanted"

"Very pleasant communities though and if it had a nice beach it would have topped our list. "

"Cleveland was great with a great shopping arcade "
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:21 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't take it the wrong way I knew what you meant...honestly

We are not 100% decided where we are going yet and are exploring all possibilities.

Hope you find what you are looking for ....

kaye
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by datamile

"We then came back up to the Redlands area and looked all around Was very impressed by the area as a whole has alot going for it in the way of links to Brisbane(within the hour im told) and was everything we wanted"

"Very pleasant communities though and if it had a nice beach it would have topped our list. "

realising that we wanted to be next to and not nearby a city.

Where we live in the uk is perfect we have changed our mind since then. Is that allowed
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Where we live in the uk is perfect we have changed our mind since then. Is that allowed
IMHO - i prefer Bulimba to Manly(Sydney) - only drawback is obviously no beach. We are missing the beach too - but other things are better for us.

lj
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Al

Have sent you a reply on your other post, Sydney or Brisbane info.

Regards

Nikki
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by datamile

and if you see one of the last posts i made, on reflection manly was a better choice for us in the end.

To sum it all up, we really liked the maroochy area as a whole, and its hinterland places like buderim, nambour, palm wood and woombye were all cheaper up and coming places 10 minutes from a ice beach and shopping arcades, however we feel that we aren’t at that stage of our lives yet (i.. the 2.4 kids and the ¾ bed house) so we may yet decideto live in Sydney for a year (well manly) as it is around the corner from the city for sporting events,gigs and lots of work for both of us while we find our feet in the country. Clare likes greenery and peace and tranquility(which has now changed, she now like city fringes and being able to walk to shops and eateries), and I like cities more so manly Is a good compromise for both of us at this stage of our lives and then we will move up to the sunshine coast when we are ready for a family and the things that go with it.

Last edited by alkristensen; Feb 3rd 2007 at 10:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.