Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Suburbs

Brisbane Suburbs

Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Suburbs

Hi Folks, first post so go easy on me

Toying with a move to Brisbane from Glasgow and no doubt like so many others I have a head full of questions. Since I have two young daughters (4 and 2) my main concern is obviously them.

Been looking at this site and various others and the Bayside area keeps coming up. Looking for a quiet area with lots of families and some good schools (prepared to go private), budget would be around 500k, although could go higher for right house. I would really need to live somewhere with good public transport links to CBD as I have no intention of being a 2 car family!! Suburbs in south East would be preferable as well as I assume these have easier access to the Gold Coast.

Any help much appreciated.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:13 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane Suburbs

Bayside is good option (and certainly seems poopular around here) - but if the journy into the CBD seems a bit long from there you might also want to consider The Gap/Ferny Hills area which are also great for families and have decent PT links to CBD.

$500k might be a little light - but if you look carefully and bargain hard you should be able to find a half decent 3bed house for that.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

gunn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We know a few families with younger kids in Springfield Lakes, and they seem to love it there - a good family community, great outdoor areas & half an hour into Brissie. It's still developing (like most of QLD, it seems) and house prices sound within your budget. Just not near beaches, if that's important to you...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:40 pm

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gunn1
...Springfield Lakes,.... half an hour into Brissie. ....
Sounds seriously optimistic to me PARTICULARLY if you're talking about a peak-hour run - in which case 90 minutes might be closer to the truth.

It'll probably get a bit quicker once the train line opens (when? I dont know) if you catch the train - but even then I'd be surprised if the journey was much under an hour (including parking at station, waiting for train etc etc)

Last edited by DadAgain; Aug 9th 2010 at 10:42 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

gunn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooops! Yes, peak time would probably me quite a bit more... that's an off-peak run
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Hi Folks, first post so go easy on me

Toying with a move to Brisbane from Glasgow and no doubt like so many others I have a head full of questions. Since I have two young daughters (4 and 2) my main concern is obviously them.

Been looking at this site and various others and the Bayside area keeps coming up. Looking for a quiet area with lots of families and some good schools (prepared to go private), budget would be around 500k, although could go higher for right house. I would really need to live somewhere with good public transport links to CBD as I have no intention of being a 2 car family!! Suburbs in south East would be preferable as well as I assume these have easier access to the Gold Coast.

Any help much appreciated.
We live in the Bayside and love it. It certainly seems to tick the boxes you mention! Nice family area with decent locals schools - plenty of choice of private schools too.

500k would get you something nice in this area - you might be lucky and get a pool too - certainly there are some very nice properties around for that sort of price.

There is a train which starts at Cleveland and goes into the city - it takes around an hour. There is also a commuter bus which starts at Redland Bay and goes through Vicky Point, Thornlands etc. Depending on where you are, the bus can actually be faster than the train.

Good luck!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:17 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Forest Lake to the Valley (via the city to drop the wife off) used to take me on average 45 mins when I lived out that way during peak hour. It is possible to get between the 2 places in 30 minutes but its a perfect run out of peak hour.

The train from Darra to the Valley wasnt to bad if you got the express one which takes 23 minutes (8.09 to 8.32).

Most places on the Ferny Grove line seem OK to me and family orientated.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:00 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

For 500k you would take what ever you could get.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:09 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

You can still get yourself a very nice place for 500k in Redcliffe. It is probably the most family orientated place in the Sth East.....but public transport is shit to non-existent. Hopefully, if Labor get in we will get our train line though (2016)
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Weebie
Especially something like this for about $440,000 in Cleveland, just 1.3km to the Cleveland Station.
On almost 1/4 acre (912 sqm) 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.

or this one, although it just sold for $457,000 in June.

Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie

Why do people say such stupid things?

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pro...ornlands/map-1

not exactly a shortage of 4 bedroomed properties between $400k and $500k in the Bayside

Rudi
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Sounds seriously optimistic to me PARTICULARLY if you're talking about a peak-hour run - in which case 90 minutes might be closer to the truth.
lol youre a clown - it would take 45 minutes max... now that the road has been upgraded it potentially could be even less depending when you leave.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by phat-dave
lol youre a clown - it would take 45 minutes max... now that the road has been upgraded it potentially could be even less depending when you leave.

Really? A friend of our family recently changed jobs purely because he was sick of his commute from SL to the city - said it took him 75-90 minutes each day crawling along that road with all the other SL residents. Admittedly an interchange has been modified since then - but surely it cant HALF the journey time?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:51 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Really? A friend of our family recently changed jobs purely because he was sick of his commute from SL to the city - said it took him 75-90 minutes each day crawling along that road with all the other SL residents. Admittedly an interchange has been modified since then - but surely it cant HALF the journey time?
Beenleigh - Brisbane CBD - 80 mins the other morning (rush hour)

Never seen motorways so full of stationary cars till I moved here ... pathetic!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Beenleigh - Brisbane CBD - 80 mins the other morning (rush hour)

Never seen motorways so full of stationary cars till I moved here ... pathetic!
Oh come on, I know we see a lot of things differently but have you forgotten the M25 or the M1 Junction 9a down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.