Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brisbane or perth for electricians

brisbane or perth for electricians

Old May 14th 2004, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

gtyson is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool brisbane or perth for electricians

My name is Graham 34 My wife Clare 37 & son Jack 8 from Cheshire are hoping to emigrate early 2005 & we're wondering if anyone can help & tell me if there is more work for electricians in perth or brisbane .I got a file number in March for my visa application & am just waiting to hear.Also has anyone any info on obtaining a electrical license.
We would prefer to live about 30miles from the city & need somewhere that has junior football teams for jack & maybe veterans for me,& areas to steer clear of
Old May 14th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We have a restaurant in Rockingham and are desperate for an electrician to come and do some jobs, cann't get hold of them for love nor money.

Whisky
Old May 14th 2004, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Helen C is an unknown quantity at this point

go to:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/WP/CDA/F.../att_elect.pdf

Will give you the addresses you need to get further info and gives details of the various grades of licenses issued by each body.
Old May 14th 2004, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

brijacq is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is also electrician and we wondered how long it took to get positive assessment from TRA. We are just in the process of trying to put all his paperwork together and a bit confused as how much information to include - can you give us any tips?
Old May 15th 2004, 3:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by whisky
We have a restaurant in Rockingham and are desperate for an electrician to come and do some jobs, cann't get hold of them for love nor money.

Whisky
I think that finding an electrician is a nationwide problem, which isn't going to be much help to Graham in making his choice

It's a pity we aren't allowed to do our own electrical tinkering

Old May 15th 2004, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: brisbane or perth for electricians

Originally posted by gtyson
My name is Graham 34 My wife Clare 37 & son Jack 8 from Cheshire are hoping to emigrate early 2005 & we're wondering if anyone can help & tell me if there is more work for electricians in perth or brisbane .I got a file number in March for my visa application & am just waiting to hear.Also has anyone any info on obtaining a electrical license.
We would prefer to live about 30miles from the city & need somewhere that has junior football teams for jack & maybe veterans for me,& areas to steer clear of
Hi Graham

My husband is also an electrician, we are going south of Perth, not too far from Rockingham, funnily enough. I'm not sure about Brisbane but it seems the shortage of any tradesman seems to be a problem both here and in Australia, I wouldn't imagine you would have too much trouble finding work in either place. I know that you have to sit an exam for your license and I think you have to sit it once you're there. I don't think it's possible to do it from here.

Sorry don't know about football but being as they are far more sporty than we are I doubt there'll be a problem.

Good luck

Lindsey
Old May 15th 2004, 5:37 am
ABCDiamond

Some web links for you to look at:

QLD Electrical Licensing

WA Electrical Licencing

and a few others while i am at it

TAS Electrical Licencing

ACT Electrical Licencing

SA Electrical Licencing

Old May 15th 2004, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by brijacq
My husband is also electrician and we wondered how long it took to get positive assessment from TRA. We are just in the process of trying to put all his paperwork together and a bit confused as how much information to include - can you give us any tips?
Once I'd got all paperwork together & Go Matilda had checked it over & sent it, it took about 6 weeks to get a file number.Just make sure he gets a good reference on work experience,jobs undertaken etc & has a good C V.Is he a Domestic or Industrial spark.Where are you hoping to go to
Old May 15th 2004, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by lindseyden
Hi Graham

My husband is also an electrician, we are going south of Perth, not too far from Rockingham, funnily enough. I'm not sure about Brisbane but it seems the shortage of any tradesman seems to be a problem both here and in Australia, I wouldn't imagine you would have too much trouble finding work in either place. I know that you have to sit an exam for your license and I think you have to sit it once you're there. I don't think it's possible to do it from here.

Sorry don't know about football but being as they are far more sporty than we are I doubt there'll be a problem.

Good luck

Lindsey
Hi Lindsey
When are you hoping to go.Do you know whats involved in exam ?Have you got your visa yet?
Cheers
Graham
Old May 15th 2004, 9:51 am
Just Joined

brijacq is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Graham,
Thanks for the reply, my husband is an industrial electrician/supervisor and has worked for the same company since leaving school and doing his apprenticeship with them. He is also the same age as you (25.3.70). We have two young boys of 9 & 6 and we are hoping to via STNI to Victoria - have you any experience of this or did you manage to get in before the points went up?
Old May 15th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lindsey
When are you hoping to go.Do you know whats involved in exam ?Have you got your visa yet?
Cheers
Graham
Hi again

I'm sorry but not sure how in depth exam is but good info on

electrical licensing, wa

We hope to go later this year but lots of small problems to iron out yet. No we don't have our visa yet (one of the minor probs, lol) but I'm hoping to hear in the next few weeks as we applied Nov 2003.

Cheers

Lindsey
Old May 16th 2004, 6:36 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Heres' a post that took me ages to write,so any search should bring it up.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...dbutts+wa+exam

Electricians are hard to come by in WA as the companies struggle to find and then keep their employees. Just quit a job that wanted to pay me 18 bucks an hour casual-the teenagers sweeping up were on 19.50 wages!!Left a few other jobs too due to conditions and pay,and I aint alone,believe me.Their attitude is "if you don't like it,there's the door".They don't do negotiations.
Unless you're prepared to fly in and out to the mines,you aint gonna get rich.In fact,you'll do well to survive.Also,the small businesses price so low just to get work,so that avenue's dodgy.
Take it from a twisted bitter spark,it's crap here as an electrician,you're rated at the bottom of the ladder on most sites,so look at a career change when you get here.

Christ,has Pommie Bastard possesed my Greek God body.
Sorry to bear negative news,just my opinion,and how I've found it.

Oh,and Whisky,I'd do yer work,but I aint got a contractors license-would you Adam and believe it.Would cost me a couple of grand plus 3 weeks out of work to go to college.More money grabbing.

BB-time of the month and all that
Old May 16th 2004, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Helen C is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I've clinked on your link and printed off all the relevent info. Didn't you do well..........

With regard to the teenagers sweeping the floor getting paid more .............. didn't you ever find the same things happens in the UK? My hubby has moaned on more than one occassion about unskilled bods getting the same or more pay and the one that really pissed him off was a labourer earning just a £ less an hour and my otherhalf is a electrical supervisor in the 40% tax bracket!

I have just warned him (he's just got out of bed) that things won't be much better!

Helsbels
Old May 16th 2004, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Husbands not an electrician but a builder so we employ them. Put all our jobs out to tender once a year. To take on the job you need qualifications, license, saftey card, liability insurance, registered for GST/ABN and business management course. Think thats all, same really for most trades. Electrical contract usually goes out for $2500 to $3000 including GST, thats the whole job from wiring to fit off, they supply from cable and wires to TV points and light switches etc, we just supply the fittings such as oven/ light fittings but they do the bulbs etc too. Whole job is a brand new 15 room house probably around 260 square metres.
Theres work here no doubt.

Few other subbies, brickies $650 per thousand but thats doubled in the boom, plumber about $5000 for the entire job, ground work trenches pipes taps fit off etc, but we supply the white goods like toilets. We supply the kitchen but the fitters are on $650 a week pre tax, carpenters are the most expensive can be $30.00 an hour but we employ them on a square rate to keep costs down and speed up. Cleaners, builders clean, not nice $1.30 a SM, anyone wants any others just let me know.

Should have said in general wages would be higher in Eastern States than Perth.

Last edited by jad n rich; May 16th 2004 at 8:17 am.
Old May 16th 2004, 12:19 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Graham, we just getting all hubby's statements of service together etc. We are also in Chester and have a son called jack- he is 17 though and another two girls 13,15. Hubby Rick is an Electrician and l work for one of the big banks. Sounds like we have a bit in common. He is domestic/industrial and has vast experience - hoping this will make all the difference to our app.

Knew about the licence, but thought he could get it before we went. Thanks for asking the very question that was on my lips all the answers have been really useful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.