Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Perth

Brisbane or Perth

Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Rachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura about
Default Brisbane or Perth

Hi all, wondering if anyone could give some advice on which is the best place to live with 2 children. Brisbane or Perth and what are good areas so that I can start fact finding houses, schools etc. We don't do a massive amount at the weekends but would like to think we could drive to a beach and do some family things. Is Gold coast very near Brisbane as I heard Brisbane had no beaches. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:14 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane or Perth

Hi Rachel - you are right about Brisbane having no beaches however you would have access at the weekends to fantastic beaches on the Gold or sunshine coasts.
It's a while since I was there so can't remember exact times but I think about an hour away from Brisbane. A local will be able to let you know once they wake up

I think it will depend on yours or OH's line of work and which kind of climate you prefer.
Brisbane is subtropical - Hot, sometimes wet, humid summers and warm, sunny winters (Like Florida) and Perth is mediterranean - Hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters ( like California and err The Med ).

I loved Brisbane and the GC / SC when I was there although I couldn't see myself living on the SC.
I haven't been to Perth but that is where we're heading for two reasons - I may have a very good work offer and I have friends there who love it.

Hopefully those in Australia will wake in a few hours and you'll get more info.
It may help to put what kind of lifestyle you'd like, preferences, jobs etc
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Rachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi Rachel - you are right about Brisbane having no beaches however you would have access at the weekends to fantastic beaches on the Gold or sunshine coasts.
It's a while since I was there so can't remember exact times but I think about an hour away from Brisbane. A local will be able to let you know once they wake up

I think it will depend on yours or OH's line of work and which kind of climate you prefer.
Brisbane is subtropical - Hot, sometimes wet, humid summers and warm, sunny winters (Like Florida) and Perth is mediterranean - Hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters ( like California and err The Med ).

I loved Brisbane and the GC / SC when I was there although I couldn't see myself living on the SC.
I haven't been to Perth but that is where we're heading for two reasons - I may have a very good work offer and I have friends there who love it.

Hopefully those in Australia will wake in a few hours and you'll get more info.
It may help to put what kind of lifestyle you'd like, preferences, jobs etc
Hi, thanks for the great and insightful reply, you are in the UK?

My OH will be a qualified Air-con man when we move, i am a teacher, so not sure really where we are needed! lol...

As regards to lifestyle, just somewhere laid back, very child friendly not to remote 30-40 mins away from a city and 10 mins from a beach....fussy i know

Again thanks for the reply
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel...
Hi, thanks for the great and insightful reply, you are in the UK?

My OH will be a qualified Air-con man when we move, i am a teacher, so not sure really where we are needed! lol...

As regards to lifestyle, just somewhere laid back, very child friendly not to remote 30-40 mins away from a city and 10 mins from a beach....fussy i know

Again thanks for the reply
My OH was going to do aircon and I looked on Seek.com.
Your OH will easily get work in Brisbane or Perth. If your job is important then I suggest you use the search facility as I believe it may be harder to get work as a teacher.

Yes I am in the U.K but I've been on this site a long time
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kapri
My OH was going to do aircon and I looked on Seek.com.
Your OH will easily get work in Brisbane or Perth. If your job is important then I suggest you use the search facility as I believe it may be harder to get work as a teacher.

Yes I am in the U.K but I've been on this site a long time

Really, i thought they would be crying out for teachers? i dont know why i thought that?

Did you come back to the U.K from Australia?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:30 pm
Happy migrant

Really, i thought they would be crying out for teachers? i dont know why i thought that?

Did you come back to the U.K from Australia?
Don't take my word for it as I don't really know much about it
Just do a search as I've read that teachers sometimes have to start out in rural areas before they get the city jobs.
I know the teachers on Wanted down under got work ok
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Hi Rachel

I too am a teacher and have also recently returned from a reccie in Oz. We were there at the start of the school year (end of Jan) and WA still have over a hundred teaching positions that were unfilled. They were so desperate that they were removing people from their LEA equivalent and putting them in the classroom! Not sure about the situation in Brisbane.

As far as they Brisbane vs Perth thing goes, it's each to their own but we preferred Perth. We liked the fact that the suburbs we were interested in were actually on the beach, so we could imagine taking the kids down to the beach after school (and their were plenty of kids there at that time!) It's much newer than Brisbane so the infrastructure seemed more reliable and the suburbs well planned. We loved a suburb called Mindarie, which is about 35 minutes north of the city, on the beach, has a lovely marina with restaurants, cafes etc and a fantastic primary school. It's quite expensive to buy there but prices seem to be coming down.

Good luck in your decision making process - it's not easy is it!

Helen

PS Don't know if you know but you have to register with the state you wish to teach in before you arrive (and each state has a slightly different process!) You can avoid having to work in an area you may not wish to buy applying for jobs in the private schools (and there are loads of them.)
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helen roberts
Hi Rachel

I too am a teacher and have also recently returned from a reccie in Oz. We were there at the start of the school year (end of Jan) and WA still have over a hundred teaching positions that were unfilled. They were so desperate that they were removing people from their LEA equivalent and putting them in the classroom! Not sure about the situation in Brisbane.

As far as they Brisbane vs Perth thing goes, it's each to their own but we preferred Perth. We liked the fact that the suburbs we were interested in were actually on the beach, so we could imagine taking the kids down to the beach after school (and their were plenty of kids there at that time!) It's much newer than Brisbane so the infrastructure seemed more reliable and the suburbs well planned. We loved a suburb called Mindarie, which is about 35 minutes north of the city, on the beach, has a lovely marina with restaurants, cafes etc and a fantastic primary school. It's quite expensive to buy there but prices seem to be coming down.

Good luck in your decision making process - it's not easy is it!

Helen

PS Don't know if you know but you have to register with the state you wish to teach in before you arrive (and each state has a slightly different process!) You can avoid having to work in an area you may not wish to buy applying for jobs in the private schools (and there are loads of them.)
Hi Helen,

thankyou very much for the reply, we were looking at a Suburb called Manduhra, do you know of it? we might book a two month holiday to go and have a look at some places? then maybe fly to Brisbane?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice

Yes Mandurah is lovely Dawsville in Mandurah about an hour from Perth.Nice to bring up young famliy also train link goe in so makes life slightly easier.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi all, wondering if anyone could give some advice on which is the best place to live with 2 children. Brisbane or Perth and what are good areas so that I can start fact finding houses, schools etc. We don't do a massive amount at the weekends but would like to think we could drive to a beach and do some family things. Is Gold coast very near Brisbane as I heard Brisbane had no beaches. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, great name
I live in Perth and although it is very nice on the eye, it lacks alot of things that Brisbane has...depends what you want in life. If you can, do a reccie on both sides, then hopefully you will know.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:44 am
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Thanks
If you can afford it go visit first. Perth is wonderful in so many ways however if you want to go off for a break you need to fly but on the east coast you are able to drive somewhere different.
Living in Perth in my view is almost like living on an island. It is ironic though that when i lived in London i pretty much stayed within a fifty mile radius apart from the usual summer holiday,so Perth would seem ideal but now that i cant just cross the channel to France or go somewhere different at the drop of a hat i really crave for it! Nowt as queer as folk as they say
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:25 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by jan
If you can afford it go visit first. Perth is wonderful in so many ways however if you want to go off for a break you need to fly but on the east coast you are able to drive somewhere different.
Living in Perth in my view is almost like living on an island. It is ironic though that when i lived in London i pretty much stayed within a fifty mile radius apart from the usual summer holiday,so Perth would seem ideal but now that i cant just cross the channel to France or go somewhere different at the drop of a hat i really crave for it! Nowt as queer as folk as they say
I have a feeling that I'll be like that.
At the moment I can drive down to the ferry terminal and hop on a boat to France. I don't though because I can't afford it
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hi

we live in brisbane, well near brisbane, we have been here 9 months, we havent been to perth so cant give you a comparison, there are no beaches here exactly but we live on the bay, cleveland, and although we dont have a beach we drive to the gold coast and have some lovely areas by the water just 5 minutes away, we also have the ferry to straddie 5 minutes away and straddie has beautiful beaches, as for work you will find work easily although teaching i am not sure about its certainly not well paid!!

Hope this is helpful

good luck

Beth
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi Rachel
we live in Robina on the gold coast.. We are 10 mins from broad beach, and are very happy here. Our shopping centre is undergoing major renovations and once completed will be great. Some good schools in the area.
1 hour drive to Brisbane.
Weather great most of the year round..
can't comment on Perth as we have never been there, but very happy with our choice of SE Queensland..