Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane "nice" areas

Wikiposts

Brisbane "nice" areas

Old May 31st 2004, 12:23 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Brisbane "nice" areas

Hi there!
Moving to Brisbane later this year (hoping) and wondering where would be a "nice" suburb to live as I am not a city type! Wife and 3 youngish children plus me!
I have been recommended Cornubia and it seemed OK when I visited but I was not so impressed with Logan area in general.
Any opinions? Especially from those that live there would be great!
Thanks in advance

Andrew
Old May 31st 2004, 12:53 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brisbane "nice" areas

Originally posted by andrew63
Hi there!
Moving to Brisbane later this year (hoping) and wondering where would be a "nice" suburb to live as I am not a city type! Wife and 3 youngish children plus me!
I have been recommended Cornubia and it seemed OK when I visited but I was not so impressed with Logan area in general.
Thanks in advance

Andrew
There's been quite a bit on this subject here lately; a search may turn up something.

Kenmore, The Gap, Samford, Indooroopilly, St. Lucia, Bardon, etc. All very nice parts of Brisbane.
Old May 31st 2004, 12:58 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
There's been quite a bit on this subject here lately; a search may turn up something.

Kenmore, The Gap, Samford, Indooroopilly, St. Lucia, Bardon, etc. All very nice parts of Brisbane.
Ulujain - Thanks. Is there anything particularly bad about Logan/Cornubia and why are the areas you mention "special"?
Sorry to nag but such info will be very useful.

Andrew
Old May 31st 2004, 1:04 am
o_0

Ulujain - Thanks. Is there anything particularly bad about Logan/Cornubia and why are the areas you mention "special"?
Sorry to nag but such info will be very useful.

Andrew
Well, I've equated "special" with "upper class area". Especially St. Lucia.

I've lived in Logan City, in particular, Woodridge and Kingston. They aren't flash areas, no. In fact, both could be described as lower class. However, there are places close by to Logan that definitely aren't trashy locales. Daisy Hill, Springwood, Shailer Park and Rochedale South are all fairly nice places, the first three are a little hilly.

Cornubia was semi-rural the last time I was there. Are you after acreage or a large rural type place?

This website will give you a very focused lowdown on Brisbane suburbs and the demographics thereof.

Thanks to ABCDiamond for giving us that link.
Old May 31st 2004, 1:07 am
o_0

Try:
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/index.htm
as well. Excellent resource. Flash 6 required.
Old May 31st 2004, 4:00 am
Just Joined

JasonFK is an unknown quantity at this point

It probably all comes down to your budget Andrew & also where abouts you are planning to work or what sector / industry etc.

Logan is indeed lower class but obviously cheaper to rent or buy in. However it is actually the next shire over from Brisbane & a good 30 minutes drive from the city centre.

Personally I live in Bardon on the West side of Brisbane (4km from the city) which in my opinion is the best side of Brisbane as a) it's on a green belt of vegetation connected to Mt Cootha & Mt Nebo b) its up high so you never have to worry about floods (as happened in 1974 quite seriously) and c) its away from the river which at its mouth has a large chunk of the city's industry infrastructure and thus smog blows upstream to the low lying riverside areas such as New Farm making them much more prone to smog conditions (no good fro Asthmatics etc).

So Bardon, Toowong, Ashgrove, Rosalie area all nice green suburbs to live in & a little further out The Gap is a little cheaper but just as nice & close to the national park.

Best of luck in your search.

JasonFK
_________
Old May 31st 2004, 11:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ulujain
Cornubia was semi-rural the last time I was there. Are you after acreage or a large rural type place?
In general it still is

But I wonder how much it will change over the next few years, as the entire area continues its expansion. Take Redland Bay as an example, not that long ago it wasn't classed as much of an area, but now it has some rather expensive properties, and these are on the standard 800mtr blocks, or even smaller.

I went through Woodridge once I wouldn't fancy living there myself.

Old May 31st 2004, 8:13 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!
Thanks in advance

Andrew

We are moving to Beaudesertshire, Chambers Flat probably.

Its DEAD there, but with the new bypass roads going in AS WE SPEAK, its handy for everything, and only 15 minutes to Greenbank Rsl

Munruben is nice for acreage also.
Not to keen on Jimboomba though, however they apparently have a new school which is all singing and dancing.

We like south side, and acreage, and nearest on budget we can get is Chambers Flat or Munruben. Plus average house prices are at present keenly high, guess thats land forya.

Old man said to me yrs ago, theyve stopped making land m8 !