Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane montessori school

Brisbane montessori school

Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brisbane montessori school

I'm trying not to get too hung up on individual schools until I arrive. When we did a reccie in November (Sydney) we found a secondary and primary we loved next door to each other - the secondary has a huge catchment area so no problem, but the area for the primary seems to be literally a few streets (it is a small school). I started off thinking "we must get a rental in the area" but then I thought; if the only two schools we saw were both great, the others nearby are probably also great so chill out!

Martha
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Trying not too but want to make the right choice for the kids and not have to move them about schools if we make the wrong choice, but it's very difficult to do from the other side of the world. Your right though...CHILL

Keri
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:39 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Re Sherwood State Primary - We will be sending our son either there or to the Montessori school at Fig Tree Pocket in a few years time. One of my colleagues has started her daughter at Sherwood Primary this year and just loves it - the principal is an ex-academic and very keen on high educational standards, after school care has been excellent (lots of outdoor play rather than sticking the kids in front of a tv or computer) and the classrooms are well-equipped. Good playing fields and good pool too.

We have looked at other schools in the area and would also consider Christ the King (local Catholic school). Also looked at Graceville Primary but their school is on less area (a lot more crowded) and has double the number of students that Sherwood has (Sherwood has about 400).

I am keen on Montessori education - have a number of friends who went through it and enjoyed it plus my sister is an OT dealing with children and adolescents and she is keen to send her children to a Montessori school as she believes the children are better equipped to handle personal pressure when they go into high school.

If you are looking in the Sherwood area, you might want to consider houses in Oxley, 2 mins down the road from Sherwood. Older area, but on good bus and train lines. Houses are cheaper at the moment so you should be able to pick up a 4 bed in the 500s. The area is really starting to pick up and they are planning a major redevelopment of the high street which will add to the appeal / price of the area. Corinda (in between sherwood and oxley) is also nice but prices there are starting to head in the same direction as Sherwood. We love Sherwood because we can walk to everything we need, get a bus or train and still be close to the city. Nice family area.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Sherwood primary sounds excellent and my hubby and I really like the sound of Sherwood, Will have look at property in Oxley and corinda. Do you know if there are many rentals in Sherwood? Am getting worried about actually getting a good rental after reading all the threads about dodgy rentals and the huge demand for good rentals Am waiting to hear back from Montessori re:waiting lists and fees, I assume there is a big waiting list.

thanks for your help riggs,

Keri
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:12 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Hi Keri,

Rentals are pretty tight in the area, but if you get in contact with some agents ahead of time you should be able to get onto their mailing list and be prepared to move quickly. For a very good real esate agent, contact Gus or Maria at Nanette Lilley real Estate (they both work on the rentals side) or else Rhys Meija at the same company (home sales).
Tel: 61 7 3379 9322 or email them We have used this company for years and always found them to be excellent.

Another good sales guy is Gary Eaton at Ray White Graceville -
61 7 3379 7111 or [email protected].

I assume you are looking at realestate.com.au regularly? They seem to have better coverage in our area than domain.com.au, but it always worth checking both and getting on their mailing list.

if there is anything we can do to help, just shout!

Alicia

Last edited by ridds; Apr 30th 2007 at 11:16 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Alicia, that's really helpful, will definately do that!Do you know if we can book a rental from this end before we go?

Keri
Old May 1st 2007, 10:54 pm
brisvegas

Its unlikely you'll be able to secure a rental before you leave, and to be honest, I'm not sure that that would be the best idea anyway. You're probably better off securing a short term let and having a look around before committing to a longer term rental - moving is hard enough without finding you've committed to a longer term house in an area where you don't want to be. We'd be happy to show you all around when you arrive.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:17 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

I work with a Montessori school in Perth (although am not a parent). It is a parent run school so a high level of involvement is expected, think monthly meetings and helping with the upkeep/maintenance of the school etc. This one has a day per term where parents are expected to come and help out with gardening, painting and general maintenance, you are fined $100 if you don't attend! There are also a large number of fundraising activities which the parents are expected to organise and manage. Parents hold key positions such as Treasurer, Chair, Fundraising Manager, Enrollment Officer etc.

Not sure if they are all the same but just something to be aware of if you will be working full time and don't want such a high level of involvement with the school.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

True enough with all the reports of poor quality rental! Very kind of you to offer to show us about, I will keep you posted with regards to getting Visa granted and a moving date.

All the best,
keri
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

JoandStuV, Thanks, that's interesting as both my hubby and I will be working and to be honest although I would like some degree of envolvment don't think I'd want as much as that Also had thought about the situation where my wee one didn't fit into the way of teaching and the children 'self-disciplining', what if my child was disruptive in class, especially as he has never been exposed to that kind of teaching, would he then be deemed not suitable for the school and be asked to leave? Not sure if it is going to be for us!

Keri
Old May 7th 2007, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

lerhart is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Brisbane montessori school

As a parent at the Brisbane Montessori School, I would thoroughly recommend it as a school for your child. My son is 7 and started with the school 2 years ago and we are really starting to see the benefits of it. Don't misunderstand - as with any school, this school is not this wonderfully perfect experience with all things rosey (or airy fairy). School is school and each child encounters their own difficulties - what inspires me about the school is the parent education program to assist us with learning about what is happening in the classroom and how we can implement Montessori methods in our home environment (for the benefit of the child).

The another primary thing, that distinguishes BMS from other schools, is the level of love and caring that each of the individual teachers (and their assistants) have for each and every one of the children under their daily care. I often brings tears to my eyes to see the devotion of these people have for my son in particular (and not because there is anything significantly wrong with him).

In regard to housing, there are a number of very good suburbs around Fig Tree Pocket, all within a 10minute drive to the school. Try, Taringa, Indoorpilly, Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Brookfield then have a look at, Riverhills, Middle Park, Sinnamon Park, Jindalee, Mt Ommaney, Oxley, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Westlake. As a single parent with a child at the Montessori, I live within walking distance to the school - keep looking as good deals are to be had.......

Lisa
Old May 8th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

I'm glad your really happy with the school, I think we'll arrange a visit when we arrive but to be honest I'm not sure that my husband and I could commit to the level of parent involvment that is required.

We'll be having a look at all of the areas you've suggested, we're torn between that area and the bayside/ ormiston and alexandra hills areas but I'm sure when we get there, the decisions will be much easier.

Thanks again Lisa,

Keri