Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Melbourne?

Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:07 pm
Boop Boop De Doop

Betty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane or Melbourne?

Hi All!
Just wondered if anyone had lived in both Brisbane and Melbourne, and if so, could you make any comparisons/preferences between the two?

Thanks as always for any advice.

Lisa x
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

What can i say, bloody cold in Melbourne, Brisbane on the other hand Beautiful one day, Perfect the next.......
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:09 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
What can i say, bloody cold in Melbourne, Brisbane on the other hand Beautiful one day, Perfect the next.......
Both nice places

Melbourne more european and with mixed seasons ie real chilly winters to hot hot summers. The chilly however is with a bright bright blue sky - not what you get in the UK.

Alot of Melbournians have holiday homes in Brisbane So it depends if you are coming for "holiday" or for complete lifestyle?

Kiwi
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Well last year I lived for three months in Brisbane and six weeks in Melbourne.
Loved them both but in different ways!

Weather:
I was in Brisbane from Sept to Dec so it was pretty hot all the time. But there were an awful lot of storms in the afternoon which after a while started to annoy me! You can never leavethe house without your umbrella and several times I would get caught in it while walking home/going out. Loved the humid warmth though - it's lovely to leave a cold air-con'd building and be hit by that wall of warm air.
Gets dark early )around 7pm) which is also a bit of a shame.
I was in Mel over Feb and March this year so again was in good weather. Lovely and hot most of the time but less humid than Mel, and the temp can change radically from one day to the next, and even from the morning to the afternoon! Can be 15 degrees one day and 30 the next!
Was there for a week in winter last year too and it was cool during the day and very cold at night. But every day was still bright and sunny with blue skies so the cold was somehow less annoying than the 'grey' cold you get in the UK winters!
Also stays lighter later in the summer - til around 9pm which is nice.

Cities:
Melb has a far more lively, cosmopolitan feel to it. Brisbane is lovely, laid back and probably more 'Aussie' - if that makes sense. People who live there describe it as a big country town which kind of sums it up.
I'm in my early 30s and have no kids, and for me I think I may get a bit tired of it if I lived there long-term, although it's probably a more relaxed and pcituresque city than Melb.
Melb doesn't look that nice and feels less intimate, but it gets under your skin! The longer you stay there the more you fall in love with it. There's always something going on, whether it be big sporting events or cultural festivals.
Melb is definitely more multi-cultural and feels less Aussie than Brissie - it has a more European influence I think.
Both cities have plenty of parkland - although Melb has a bit more - while the Brisbane river is more attractive than the Yarra in Melb.

Suburbs:
Both cities have great inner city 'burbs, though for me Melb has the edge. Whereas the city centre is less appealing, the burbs are where it all happens. They all have a distinct identity. They are funky and urban, with great shops, a cool cafe culture, fantastic resturants and laid-back bars.
Travelling from the burbs to the city is easy with trams, trains and buses galore.
Don't know what the suburbs further out the city are like though.
Brisbane also has lovely suburbs but feel a bit more cut-off from the city somehow. Transport to them can also be a real pain at night with a pretty poor bus service (though some suburbs are better than others for this).
They feel more laid back than the Melb burbs, with a bit less going on. But that can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences!

Surrounding areas:
Both cities are fantastic in this respect. From Brisbane you have easy acces to the Gold and Sunshine coasts, and there's lovely hinterland in close proximity.
Similarly, Melb has the Great Ocean Road within an hour's drive (which is where you will probably go for good beaches as those on the edge of the city like St Kilda are less than impressive!), the Barossa Valley wine region, mountains, Morningotn peninsula etc.
You would never get bored of exploring the surrounding region in either city!

In summary:
Brisbane has a more laid-back vibe, Melbourne is livelier with more going on.
Brissie is more 'Aussie', Melb is more European/cosmopolitan.
There is plenty to do in both cities, though Melbourne egdes it for me in the range of stuff you can do.
Shopping is better in Melb (in fact it's heaven!), eating out is good in both places.
I think I prefer Melb - just - but I prefer the weather in Brisbane as I really really don't like the cold.
I think if I was older then I would probably opt for Brisbane.
Bit it all depends on what you like.
I don't have kids so can't comment on it from that perspective.
Some people like a quieter life, others want the buzz of a big city and Melb definitely has that.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now!
What's your situation? When are you headed out?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:25 am
Boop Boop De Doop

Betty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Well last year I lived for three months in Brisbane and six weeks in Melbourne.
Loved them both but in different ways!

Weather:
I was in Brisbane from Sept to Dec so it was pretty hot all the time. But there were an awful lot of storms in the afternoon which after a while started to annoy me! You can never leavethe house without your umbrella and several times I would get caught in it while walking home/going out. Loved the humid warmth though - it's lovely to leave a cold air-con'd building and be hit by that wall of warm air.
Gets dark early )around 7pm) which is also a bit of a shame.
I was in Mel over Feb and March this year so again was in good weather. Lovely and hot most of the time but less humid than Mel, and the temp can change radically from one day to the next, and even from the morning to the afternoon! Can be 15 degrees one day and 30 the next!
Was there for a week in winter last year too and it was cool during the day and very cold at night. But every day was still bright and sunny with blue skies so the cold was somehow less annoying than the 'grey' cold you get in the UK winters!
Also stays lighter later in the summer - til around 9pm which is nice.

Cities:
Melb has a far more lively, cosmopolitan feel to it. Brisbane is lovely, laid back and probably more 'Aussie' - if that makes sense. People who live there describe it as a big country town which kind of sums it up.
I'm in my early 30s and have no kids, and for me I think I may get a bit tired of it if I lived there long-term, although it's probably a more relaxed and pcituresque city than Melb.
Melb doesn't look that nice and feels less intimate, but it gets under your skin! The longer you stay there the more you fall in love with it. There's always something going on, whether it be big sporting events or cultural festivals.
Melb is definitely more multi-cultural and feels less Aussie than Brissie - it has a more European influence I think.
Both cities have plenty of parkland - although Melb has a bit more - while the Brisbane river is more attractive than the Yarra in Melb.

Suburbs:
Both cities have great inner city 'burbs, though for me Melb has the edge. Whereas the city centre is less appealing, the burbs are where it all happens. They all have a distinct identity. They are funky and urban, with great shops, a cool cafe culture, fantastic resturants and laid-back bars.
Travelling from the burbs to the city is easy with trams, trains and buses galore.
Don't know what the suburbs further out the city are like though.
Brisbane also has lovely suburbs but feel a bit more cut-off from the city somehow. Transport to them can also be a real pain at night with a pretty poor bus service (though some suburbs are better than others for this).
They feel more laid back than the Melb burbs, with a bit less going on. But that can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences!

Surrounding areas:
Both cities are fantastic in this respect. From Brisbane you have easy acces to the Gold and Sunshine coasts, and there's lovely hinterland in close proximity.
Similarly, Melb has the Great Ocean Road within an hour's drive (which is where you will probably go for good beaches as those on the edge of the city like St Kilda are less than impressive!), the Barossa Valley wine region, mountains, Morningotn peninsula etc.
You would never get bored of exploring the surrounding region in either city!

In summary:
Brisbane has a more laid-back vibe, Melbourne is livelier with more going on.
Brissie is more 'Aussie', Melb is more European/cosmopolitan.
There is plenty to do in both cities, though Melbourne egdes it for me in the range of stuff you can do.
Shopping is better in Melb (in fact it's heaven!), eating out is good in both places.
I think I prefer Melb - just - but I prefer the weather in Brisbane as I really really don't like the cold.
I think if I was older then I would probably opt for Brisbane.
Bit it all depends on what you like.
I don't have kids so can't comment on it from that perspective.
Some people like a quieter life, others want the buzz of a big city and Melb definitely has that.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now!
What's your situation? When are you headed out?
Thanks for that, it's very informative
We are planning to emigrate within the coming year but are going to Brisbane in August for a look around.
It's just my other half has family in Brisbane, but I have friends leaving for Melbourne this week, and it has just got me thinking, particularly as my little boy is very good friends with their son.

Thanks again.

Lisa x
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boop
Thanks for that, it's very informative
We are planning to emigrate within the coming year but are going to Brisbane in August for a look around.
It's just my other half has family in Brisbane, but I have friends leaving for Melbourne this week, and it has just got me thinking, particularly as my little boy is very good friends with their son.

Thanks again.

Lisa x
Agree with the informative poster, it gets under your skin, Melbourne grows on you the more you stay there, I 'd say that other cities stay the same as whatever your first assessment was!

I hated Melbourne on my first visit, it was completely un'Australian'. I got there in a week of bad late Spring weather though.

Now I live there, I wouldn't live anywhere else. It has a lot going on, and, it's stil Australian - it's only the inner burbs that are European, but this is good as you get the mix. I hadn't realised that you could live in beautiful acreage bush 40-50mins from the CBD in land you can't find in Europe unless deep on the continent or in sub-Alpine areas. I love the treescaped vallies
of outer suburbs.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

The Brisbane vs Melbourne debate is one that has interested us for some time. So here goes -

Familiarity
Brisbane - been there twice. Have friends/acquaintances there.
Melbourne - never been there. Know people there through BE.

Jobs
Brisbane - probably not so good for my type of HQ job BUT I have a friend there in IT recruitment.
Melbourne - I perceive it will be better for jobs as its bigger and has more HQs.

Beaches
Brisbane - harder to live within walking distance of a beach but apparently can swim all year round.
Melbourne - can live near a beach and maybe even have a sea view. Swimming only possible in summer.

Weather
Brisbane - nicer in winter, not so nice in summer
Melbourne - good variety, nice seasons, less humid.

Housing
Brisbane - due to the heat, houses seem to have smaller windows and people have the curtains closed a lot. Bayside plots probably too small.
Melbourne - Can get a bigger piece of land closer to the beach.

Garden
Brisbane - can grow Bouganvilla, tropical fruit
Melbourne - can have the veggie garden and fruit trees that I dream of in London but haven't got the space.

Weekends
Brisbane - good diving and snorkelling nearby. Good boating in Moreton Bay.
Melbourne - good but colder diving and snorkelling. Good boating in Port Philip Bay. Skiing. Better for bushwalks etc I perceive. Mountains close by.

Culture
Brisbane - Many people who live in Brisbane have said to me they find it culturally lacking. I haven't spent long enough to agree or disagree.
Melbourne - seems there are a lot of art galleries etc, again, havent been there so have no 1st hand opinion.

Based on all the above, we are leaning towards Melbourne, and always have been. However my friend getting a job in IT recruitment in Brisbane has leaned us further that way as getting a good job is my only real concern about the move.

Almost all of these are just my perception. Feel free to wade in and contradict or agree with me.

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jun 26th 2006 at 9:37 am.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

devonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The Brisbane vs Melbourne debate is one that has interested us for some time. So here goes -

Familiarity
Brisbane - been there twice. Have friends/acquaintances there.
Melbourne - never been there. Know people there through BE.

Jobs
Brisbane - probably not so good for my type of HQ job BUT I have a friend there in IT recruitment.
Melbourne - I perceive it will be better for jobs as its bigger and has more HQs.

Beaches
Brisbane - harder to live within walking distance of a beach but apparently can swim all year round.
Melbourne - can live near a beach and maybe even have a sea view. Swimming only possible in summer.

Weather
Brisbane - nicer in winter, not so nice in summer
Melbourne - good variety, nice seasons, less humid.

Housing
Brisbane - due to the heat, houses seem to have smaller windows and people have the curtains closed a lot. Bayside plots probably too small.
Melbourne - Can get a bigger piece of land closer to the beach.

Weekends
Brisbane - good diving and snorkelling nearby. Good boating in Moreton Bay.
Melbourne - good but colder diving and snorkelling. Good boating in Port Philip Bay. Skiing. Better for bushwalks etc I perceive. Mountains close by.

Culture
Brisbane - Many people who live in Brisbane have said to me they find it culturally lacking. I haven't spent long enough to agree or disagree.
Melbourne - seems there are a lot of art galleries etc, again, havent been there so have no 1st hand opinion.

Based on all the above, we are leaning towards Melbourne, and always have been. However my friend getting a job in IT recruitment in Brisbane has leaned us further that way as getting a good job is my only real concern about the move.

Almost all of these are just my perception. Feel free to wade in and contradict or agree with me.

Buzzy
Melbourne is way more cultured than Brisbane
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Betty Boop
Hi All!
Just wondered if anyone had lived in both Brisbane and Melbourne, and if so, could you make any comparisons/preferences between the two?

Thanks as always for any advice.

Lisa x
Depends what your prioroties are for the move.....our 1st priority was hotter weather and more relaxed lifestyle so we came to the Gold coast, and loved it..... hubbie loves sport, so he liked melbourne but the cold was too much for me. We can always get a cheap internal flight and be at the MCG in a couple of hours, if we want a weekend away.

Try and think are you culture/big city people or is the weather/beach life a major consideration? I personally think QLD is great for bringing up kids, lots for them to do here, because the weather is good, and more space, less traffic etc Lots of singles, and young couples tend to prefer melbourne, but only you can decide what is best for you.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:05 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Depends what your prioroties are for the move.....our 1st priority was hotter weather and more relaxed lifestyle so we came to the Gold coast, and loved it..... hubbie loves sport, so he liked melbourne but the cold was too much for me. We can always get a cheap internal flight and be at the MCG in a couple of hours, if we want a weekend away.

Try and think are you culture/big city people or is the weather/beach life a major consideration? I personally think QLD is great for bringing up kids, lots for them to do here, because the weather is good, and more space, less traffic etc Lots of singles, and young couples tend to prefer melbourne, but only you can decide what is best for you.
Agree with you Sherie. You have to look at what is best for you. We inturn chose Melbourne because we prefer the colder weather to the heat. But Brissie is only a few hours flight for us to enjoy

Just dont choose Sydney (there the odd ones) Have no culture or weather
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We are looking at Brisbane or somewhere nearby. My husbands uncle and cousins all leave near there so that has helped to sway us. Also we have visited the area and really liked it.

We want the nice weather etc and think that this is the place for us. We haven't been to Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth so we have discounted them for now. We are definately willing to give other places a try though if we find that Brisbane isn't right when we get there.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Just dont choose Sydney (there the odd ones) Have no culture or weather
Oy!

Sydney is the absolute best city in the country. Don't give me that no culture rubbish - there's very little that happens in Melbourne that doesn't happen here first.

It has far better weather than Melbourne (you can keep your wet winters, give me a short, sharp Sydney storm any day), gorgeous beaches only 15 minutes drive from the city (try finding one of them in Melbourne or Brisbane). It has more buzz than you can poke a stck at and is so beautiful it can make you cry.

Only downside is that property is so expensive - but that's only because everyone wants to live here.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
there's very little that happens in Melbourne that doesn't happen here first. )
Krispy Kremes?

Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Krispy Kremes?

Can you get them there yet?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Why not move to Brisbourne?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.