Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Or Melbourne

Brisbane Or Melbourne

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:43 am
Badge

Default Re: Brisbane Or Melbourne

Originally Posted by helinuk
I have to say that saying annoyed me too. When I visited Melbourne last year people kept saying it to me. But look at this- from todays The Age:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...227636106.html
its springtime in Melbourne and snowing! .
Yeah there were hailstones but there was no whiteout to speak of. Sure the winds were high but there was no snow drifts.

Yeah there is often a change, like in many countries, its just 4 seasons compared to stable Sunshine coast where they may get the one storm...at most..

You have to take the weather stats with a pinch of salt - its all bloody averages and trends anyhow. we ve had cold and rain for 2 weeks but the days of rain are getting fewer and the sunny ones are coming more frequent.
Maybe we will see the end of this episode soon and go back to the warm weather we had in October.

Its not too bad.

BM

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Yeah there were hailstones but there was no whiteout to speak of. Sure the winds were high but there was no snow drifts.

Yeah there is often a change, like in many countries, its just 4 seasons compared to stable Sunshine coast where they may get the one storm...at most..

You have to take the weather stats with a pinch of salt - its all bloody averages and trends anyhow. we ve had cold and rain for 2 weeks but the days of rain are getting fewer and the sunny ones are coming more frequent.
Maybe we will see the end of this episode soon and go back to the warm weather we had in October.

Its not too bad.

BM
Sunshine coast/brisbane/gold coast and most other areas up here get storms most days for months on end, mild ones have already started, they will build up in intensity by dec/jan, probably most severe ones likely jan /feb and could still be going on in march.

Totally agree the weather stats are crap! tho
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:41 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Can I just make a point on the 4 seasons in 1 day nonsense. It used to really p me off in Melbourne, when it was a bit drizzly in the morning and then brightened up in the afternoon, with maybe the odd shower and people would say, 'see 4 seasons in 1 day'.

What a load of b*****ks. Its called a changeable day. Now if it snowed in the morning, blew a gale at lunchtime and all the leaves fell off the trees, then was baking hot in the afternnoon, followed by a pleasantly warm evening and all the leaves grew back, THAT would be 4 seasons in 1 day. A bit of rain and then sun is not.
Crowded house have alot to answer for !!

Cheers,
JTL

End of rant
Exactly - that's why I said 'legendary' rather than 'scientifically accurate'

For all you other pedants out there, JTL is right, Melbourne has not yet developed the climate conditions depicted in the fictional 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

Anya.

PS sorry JTL, had to delete your smilies in the quote as it told me there were too many otherwise...
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:43 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yeah but in the absence of a decent match, Spurs v Arse on Foxtel will do.
Ahem...

What's wrong with Spurs...?

Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:22 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Interesting article about Aussie weather patterns:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/featur...us/default.htm

Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

We went on hols (for visa stampage) in May, Melbourne was okay (Great Ocean Road would be amazing on the motorbike!) but was probably put off by the fact it rained/really cloduy for 3 of the 5 days wer were there but preferred Brissie due to the heat, sunshine etc (and close proximity to Straddie!!!).
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
(and close proximity to Straddie!!!).
What is it that you like best about Straddie ?