Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Jan 07

Brisbane - Jan 07

Old Sep 16th 2006, 5:32 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Brisbane - Jan 07

Hi
My family are heading to Brisbane in January - We have 2 girls (9 and nearly 12), and are hoping to rent in Coorparoo. Is anyone already out there who can give me some advice on the area, or anyone heading out there at this time also?
Does anyone have experience of having not very sporty kids in Brisbane??
We love being outdoors - but the kids aren't natural athletes (the younger one is glued to the TV and playstation) and they're getting a bit worried!!
Also, (and sorry, 'cos I know it winds people up) but how often do you see Huntsman spiders inside the homes? I've been told by some Aussie friends that these eat all the nasty insects, and you've just got to learn to live with them ... but they look so huge!
Cheers,
Caroline
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:36 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Jan 07

Originally Posted by Caroline B
Hi
My family are heading to Brisbane in January - We have 2 girls (9 and nearly 12), and are hoping to rent in Coorparoo. Is anyone already out there who can give me some advice on the area, or anyone heading out there at this time also?
Does anyone have experience of having not very sporty kids in Brisbane??
We love being outdoors - but the kids aren't natural athletes (the younger one is glued to the TV and playstation) and they're getting a bit worried!!
Also, (and sorry, 'cos I know it winds people up) but how often do you see Huntsman spiders inside the homes? I've been told by some Aussie friends that these eat all the nasty insects, and you've just got to learn to live with them ... but they look so huge!
Cheers,
Caroline
Hi Caroline,

Don't know much about Coorparoo except there used to be a Megamart there and now its Harvey Norman!

My boy (12) isn't sporty at all. He just doesn't see the point and it hasn't been a problem for him. He loves splashing about in the pool, however, which he was never bothered about before but having one in your backyard makes a big difference. He's a very amiable kind of boy so gets on well with his class-mates so lack of sporting prowess isn't a big deal.

We haven't had a huntsman in this house in the year we've lived here. The pictures you see of them posted on here tend to be the extreme. They aren't always that big. In our last house we only had one or two and Jim would just take them outside. They aren't aggressive. We did have a redback outside last week and Jim squished that (with his car key ). You don't want a bite off one of them. You see more cockroaches than spiders, but we also haven't had any of them here.

Jane
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Hi Caroline

Some parts of Cooparoo are really nice (away from the main Old Cleveland Road) but I'm afraid the state high schools (Coorparoo and Cavendish) don't have too good a reputation. There have been fights between kids from Coorparoo school and Churchie (private Anglican school) at the train station. If you are looking at private schools Churchie might be best. For a state school I have my son in Brisbane State High but to enrol you have to be in the catchment area or pass entry exam (academic, sporting or musical achievement) and for that of course you have to be here at the time of the entrance exam. Coorparoo is very handy for the city. By the way, the locals pronounce it Coo - proo
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:27 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Hi Caroline

Some parts of Cooparoo are really nice (away from the main Old Cleveland Road) but I'm afraid the state high schools (Coorparoo and Cavendish) don't have too good a reputation. There have been fights between kids from Coorparoo school and Churchie (private Anglican school) at the train station. If you are looking at private schools Churchie might be best. For a state school I have my son in Brisbane State High but to enrol you have to be in the catchment area or pass entry exam (academic, sporting or musical achievement) and for that of course you have to be here at the time of the entrance exam. Coorparoo is very handy for the city. By the way, the locals pronounce it Coo - proo

Thanks Sue - Cannot afford private. - Brisbane State High looks really good - and my eldest child is very academic and a cellist so may have been able to get in - BUT we are not going to be in the catchment and the entrance exam has passed - I assume that they wouldn't negotiate on this?
I thought Cavendish looked nice from the website and it would be in walking distance - Does anyone else have experience of the school?