Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane and infrastructure in general

Brisbane and infrastructure in general

Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane and infrastructure in general

I have been "lurking" on this forum for some time and, mainly due to a crap dial up internet connection, have been unable to post. But now i have broadband there is no holding me back!!!

Just a general query; from the number of posts, and in general discussion with friends/family/people in the pub etc., there seems to be an awful lot of folks intent on making the move to the Brisbane. Does anyone know what the infrastructure is like in this area. i.e Schools/hospitals/roads/water & sewerage services etc etc. with the apparently large influx of immigrants (myself included) is the infrastructure capable, are there plans for improvement. Hope you get the drift of the question.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:52 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

We are heading to Brisbane aswell, my mate is out there and loves it, i myself have never been, but me the family are going to go with eyes wide open and just enjoy it.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The locals here are really excited - we're getting electricity next month
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:28 am
ABCDiamond

They are building new roads, and widening others as we speak.

New supermarkets being built, new library in planning, new cinema complex.

And that's just my suburb !! No water shortage either

Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ah sarcasm, the wit of the witless. Nice to see it in Oz, Dagboy, along with the electricity of course.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
But the post was really about the influx of migrants and is the existing infrastructure big enough to cope?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane and infrastructure in general

Originally posted by clandfam
Just a general query; from the number of posts, and in general discussion with friends/family/people in the pub etc., there seems to be an awful lot of folks intent on making the move to the Brisbane. Does anyone know what the infrastructure is like in this area. i.e Schools/hospitals/roads/water & sewerage services etc etc. with the apparently large influx of immigrants (myself included) is the infrastructure capable, are there plans for improvement.
Umm, don't get the wrong idea - just because everyone on here and down at the pub seems to be going to Brisbane doesn't mean the volumes of UK migrants are huge.

The whole of Australia took around 93,914 migrants worldwide last year (of which only 12,508 were from the UK). All the rest came from somewhere else.

16,182 (17%) of the total number of migrants were were going to Queensland, so you can assume that the UK migrants who went to Queensland numbered around 2125.

I think the sewerage system can probably cope.

It's internal movement by Australians moving to Queensland that would cause any infrastructure issues - not the tiny number of UK migrants.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyc
Umm, don't get the wrong idea - just because everyone on here and down at the pub seems to be going to Brisbane doesn't mean the volumes of UK migrants are huge.

The whole of Australia took around 93,914 migrants worldwide last year (of which only 12,508 were from the UK). All the rest came from somewhere else.

16,182 (17%) of the total number of migrants were were going to Queensland, so you can assume that the UK migrants who went to Queensland numbered around 2125.

I think the sewerage system can probably cope.

It's internal movement by Australians moving to Queensland that would cause any infrastructure issues - not the tiny number of UK migrants.
That is a good point Nicky.
It is very easy to assume that most migrants are from the UK and there are loads of them.
It will come as a shock to a lot of people when they realise the number of East European, Asian and other migrants are also moving there and that British migrants are in the minority!!

Not all migrants want the same thing.
People from hot countries may not give a toss about beaches and BBQs for example.

G
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:36 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I met few English (or other UK people) in the 11 years I lived in Brisbane. Most of them seem to have gravitated to Sydney/Melbourne. Most of the migrants I met were Asian or Polynesian.

Brisbane's more predictable climate, laid-back style and relatively cheaper living may be contributing to more European folk going there. Who knows? Roll on the Census!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
That is a good point Nicky.
It is very easy to assume that most migrants are from the UK and there are loads of them.
It will come as a shock to a lot of people when they realise the number of East European, Asian and other migrants are also moving there and that British migrants are in the minority!!

Not all migrants want the same thing.
People from hot countries may not give a toss about beaches and BBQs for example.

G
You're dead right Grayling.

Most migrants to Australia (apart from UK and NZ) come from China/Indonesia/Philippines/India etc and they definitely don't come cashed-up with large amounts of money from sales of houses etc.

They mostly move to inner city areas with the sole aim of working hard to improve the lives of their kids (just like most migrants, I guess), but pools, BBQ's and big houses are not their priorities at all.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

But the post was really about the influx of migrants and is the existing infrastructure big enough to cope?
Hey, I saw one of them new-fangled horseless carriages in the street today..........
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
I met few English (or other UK people) in the 11 years I lived in Brisbane. Most of them seem to have gravitated to Sydney/Melbourne. Most of the migrants I met were Asian or Polynesian.

Brisbane's more predictable climate, laid-back style and relatively cheaper living may be contributing to more European folk going there. Who knows? Roll on the Census!
It was noticeable when I caught a train into Melbourne from one of the subburbs that at least 50% of the people I saw were of Chinese/Asian origin.

G
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Grayling
It was noticeable when I caught a train into Melbourne from one of the subburbs that at least 50% of the people I saw were of Chinese/Asian origin.

G
Sounds like Fortitude Valley, Brisbane and Cabramatta, Sydney.

Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:50 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
They are building new roads, and widening others as we speak.

New supermarkets being built, new library in planning, new cinema complex.

And that's just my suburb !! No water shortage either

All sounds good! What about the schools though? Reading different posting and researching via the net sounds like private schools may be the best option. Have two daughters on of which will probably be in the middle of doing A Levels here when we leave, which is unfortunate but cannot leave it any later cos of hubby's age - he is 43 and if we leave our app till later his age will go against us.

You always post great threads so l thought you may be able to point me in the right direction/link

Ta mate
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sarcasm, the wit of the witless. Nice to see it in Oz, Dagboy, along with the electricity of course.
Never been called witless before, dont worry clandfam along with sarcasm & electricity we also have something called a sense of humour out here in Brisbane, Im sure you can pick one up at immigration on your way in .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.