Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Humidity

Brisbane Humidity

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Brisbane Humidity

We've decided on Brisbane as our holiday base of choice in April next year with a view to doing a reccy for our proposed migration

Many people comment about the humidity there and with us currently living in the North of England we're wondering whether it might be too much for us.

Here is what someone had to say about Brisbane:

"It is a very humid place with two seasons, hot and wet. The wet, like most tropical areas can go for months and everything is affected. It is humid and sticky all the time and mould grows on clothing, bags, infections you name it"

They're suggesting that we check out Melbourne (and even Perth) on the basis that:

"there are some consolations about living in regions that have four seasons. Temperate regions are more healthy (peoples live expectancy is longer and they have less illness) and the seasons that you will find in the more temperate regions 9say Sydney down) are no where near as cold as you are used to , you still get really hot summers, long springs and autumns but without the humidity"

My question to any British expats out in Brisbane is how do you cope with the humidity and is it as bad as I am being led to believe?

Regards

BobbyD
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane Humidity

sent you a pm bobby!!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

1. Brisbane is actually subtropical, not tropical

2. We don't have "the wet" like FNQ do where it rains all day every day for 3 months, although we do get most of our rain in summer, its mainly rain from storms in the late afternoon & evening.

3. Humidity & heat in Brisbane is worst in Dec, Jan & Feb. The rest of the year is actually very pleasant.

4. The only time you get mould & mildew etc is when something is left wet or in an enclosed space where theres no air flow.

At the end of the day, if you dont actually like hot & humid type weather, then I'd agree with whoever wrote what you quoted & look at somewhere else .
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler

"It is a very humid place with two seasons, hot and wet. The wet, like most tropical areas can go for months and everything is affected. It is humid and sticky all the time and mould grows on clothing, bags, infections you name it"
I've not seen any of the mould, or heard of infections problems, and as for it being hot and sticky all the time!! We had a few weeks of it, but no way is it all the time !

It'll be worth checking it out for yourself, but best to arrive March/April time when migrating, to allow your body time to acclimatise before the summer. Most people seem to find it OK, but there are always exceptions.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

sunnybeach will become famous soon enoughsunnybeach will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,
from my previous 3 year experience in Brisbane, I had a wonderful life there. However, Brisbane is very hot in summers which the temperature could easily increase to 40 celcius!!!
I do love its environment which is clean, clear, not too crowded and very less polution.
I think it's up to your personal needs. If you love shopping, busy and crowded area, you might be better to go ahead to Sydney or Melbourne.
Hope it helps.
Cheers

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
We've decided on Brisbane as our holiday base of choice in April next year with a view to doing a reccy for our proposed migration

Many people comment about the humidity there and with us currently living in the North of England we're wondering whether it might be too much for us.

They're suggesting that we check out Melbourne (and even Perth) on the basis that:

"there are some consolations about living in regions that have four seasons. Temperate regions are more healthy (peoples live expectancy is longer and they have less illness) and the seasons that you will find in the more temperate regions 9say Sydney down) are no where near as cold as you are used to , you still get really hot summers, long springs and autumns but without the humidity"

My question to any British expats out in Brisbane is how do you cope with the humidity and is it as bad as I am being led to believe?

Regards

BobbyD
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

It all sounds good to me. I love the heat

Shopping, busy and crowded sounds awful. I think on that basis we can forget Sydney or Melbourne apart from maybe a whistlestop tour

We'll be seeing you in Briz next April................one we get a place to stay sorted!!!

Cheers

BobbyD
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:57 am
ABCDiamond

Some weather records for Dec 2004 on a daily basis, showing min & max temps, rainfall, and humidity records:

Brisbane

Brisbane Airport Bayside area

Ipswich Amberley area

Sydney

Melbourne

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

we're in FNQ and so whatever you expect the humidity to be like in Bris, times it by...erm 5 or 10 and you might have an idea of what we have just been through this summer, here in FNQ.

That's us - me, Ste and two nippers. Are we still here? Or are we going back to the Uk, tail between our legs? Are we saying..."umm, bit too much for us...", "Sh*t, we can't cope!!!" etc, etc!!!

Of course we aren't.

It's been bloody humid. It's also been absolutely gorgeous up here and we wouldn't change a thing. It's been no worse than the absolutely bloody freezing and miserable winters in the Uk which we experienced for many years.

Have some balls, mate. You've got to take the bad and the good together.

Lifes like that.

If my 6 and 4 year old can cope then i'm sure you will manage just fine!

Best wishes and good luck
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:47 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Wink Re: Brisbane Humidity

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi!

we're in FNQ and so whatever you expect the humidity to be like in Bris, times it by...erm 5 or 10 and you might have an idea of what we have just been through this summer, here in FNQ.

That's us - me, Ste and two nippers. Are we still here? Or are we going back to the Uk, tail between our legs? Are we saying..."umm, bit too much for us...", "Sh*t, we can't cope!!!" etc, etc!!!

Of course we aren't.

It's been bloody humid. It's also been absolutely gorgeous up here and we wouldn't change a thing. It's been no worse than the absolutely bloody freezing and miserable winters in the Uk which we experienced for many years.

Have some balls, mate. You've got to take the bad and the good together.

Lifes like that.

If my 6 and 4 year old can cope then i'm sure you will manage just fine!

Best wishes and good luck

Good onya, Leigh, dispel those myths about it being humid, especially in FNQ!

I like your attitude; it's downright Aussie! If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, eh?! hehe

BobbyDazzler, it's nowhere near as bad as you've been led to believe ... well, maybe only for a couple of weeks of the year! Sorts out the wheat from the chaff!!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We had never been to a hot country before coming here.

Arrived in Cairns on Halloween day just leading into the summer months so bang whallop into the steamy tropics.

Often heard people talking about over 90% humidity but don't really know what that means.

Anyway, we coped with it.
You can too
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Good onya, Leigh, dispel those myths about it being humid, especially in FNQ!

I like your attitude; it's downright Aussie! If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, eh?! hehe

Thanks for that, PR....

Oz was always going to work for us, because we are lucky ( I suppose ) in our practicality and our desire to make it work, whatever. Don't get me wrong, there has been a wobbly moment or two, on my behalf ( not outspoken, but within myself ) but outwardly our desire and main goal has always been the same....

$2.5 to the pound doesn't matter to us, earning in $$$ what we did in pounds doesn't matter to us, better house, better car, big block, better super, get a boat, get a cleaner, heaps of holidays etc etc...it's all Bollo*ks.....

Having a secure family unit...a tried and tested ( and long suffering((!)) marriage, a wish to 'stay together and play together' attitude is what counts in our opinion.

Our nippers are happy, we are happy, our families are happy ( finally!!!), there is no real 'defining' point or moment for us....

It just feels So right.....( Humidity or not )

Cheers.