Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane holiday

Brisbane holiday

Old Aug 8th 2004, 2:25 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Post Brisbane holiday

Hello,

Im starting to plan my holiday to Brisbane ( this will give me a chance to enjoy the city again and have a feel of it ), ill be going in February for the whole month, now last time i was there was in 2001.

So im asking all hour brisbane residents or expats that live or have been to brizzy for their advice in terms of accomodation, now im not looking for a 5* hotel all i want is a bed 4 walls and a roof, since i will be "walking" around most of the time

I had a look at the Brisbane holiday inn 148A$ per night roughly £47.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,
Pedro
Old Aug 8th 2004, 2:32 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane holiday

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Hello,

Im starting to plan my holiday to Brisbane ( this will give me a chance to enjoy the city again and have a feel of it ), ill be going in February for the whole month, now last time i was there was in 2001.

So im asking all hour brisbane residents or expats that live or have been to brizzy for their advice in terms of accomodation, now im not looking for a 5* hotel all i want is a bed 4 walls and a roof, since i will be "walking" around most of the time

I had a look at the Brisbane holiday inn 148A$ per night roughly £47.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,
Pedro
Not sure about Feb but we're look at the Astor Metropole, which starts at $79 per room, per night. Right in the city.

Last edited by wmoore; Aug 8th 2004 at 2:40 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 3:08 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Last time I stayed in the Ibis which was $112 a night, really nice and clean, big rooms and got a breakfast special was an extra $1 a day!!
http://www.accorhotels.com.au/hotdea...ane&brand=Ibis
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:23 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

For a self-contained, four-star apartment, try Summit Apartments or for a list of B&Bs click here. Lastly, for central city backpackers' accommodation, try The Palace.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pedro, depends on exactly where you want to be. Apart from the usual Hiltons/Sheratons etc most of the other slightly cheaper ones are on the edges of the city which means a short walk or taxi ride instead of being right there. Not sure exactly how cheap you want it to be but try these for a start (bearing in mind that you probably wont get anything dirt cheap in the city unless its a 2 star cheapie with cockroaches everywhere ).

Good Earth Hotel . Stayed here ourselves, very nice, particularly if you ask for a room with a balcony on the 3rd or 4th floor up . We had a room with balcony & small kitchenette & living area for around $100/night. (RACQ says $80-140, I know we paid just over $100) about 400m from the GPO. (this would be my pick )

SpringHill Terraces Cheaper option at about $70/night, 3 star rating, but not as close to town, havent actually stayed here but have heard its ok for the price. about 2kms from GPO

Best Western at Gregory Terrace Typical chain hotel, about $120/night, 2 kms from GPO.

Hotel Astore my sister has stayed here, not too bad for the price (around $80/night) but still about 1.5kms from the GPO.

I would recommend Good Earth, Carianne stayed there on my recommendation & really liked it. BrisNick has also had family stay there & they liked it.

If you are keen on saving some money, why dont you wait til the last minute & book through www.wotif.com ? Feb should be no problems to get a room at short notice (just thinking about it, are you MAD?!?!? Coming to Brisbane in Feb?? :scared: :scared: ).

Hope this helps.

Edit: OK, all the hotel names in the post are actually links, but they dont show up as different coloured to the main text , click on them to go to the websites of all the hotels I have mentioned :lecture:

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Aug 10th 2004 at 12:17 am.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:39 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i'll vouch for the good earth. very nice rooms, close location and cheap!!! i believe they've upped the price a bit (was $69 a night, now $80-87 through wotif.com, flightcentre.com.au and ratestogo.com)

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Pedro, depends on exactly where you want to be. Apart from the usual Hiltons/Sheratons etc most of the other slightly cheaper ones are on the edges of the city which means a short walk or taxi ride instead of being right there. Not sure exactly how cheap you want it to be but try these for a start (bearing in mind that you probably wont get anything dirt cheap in the city unless its a 2 star cheapie with cockroaches everywhere ).

Good Earth Hotel . Stayed here ourselves, very nice, particularly if you ask for a room with a balcony on the 3rd or 4th floor up . We had a room with balcony & small kitchenette & living area for around $100/night. (RACQ says $80-140, I know we paid just over $100) about 400m from the GPO. (this would be my pick )

SpringHill Terraces Cheaper option at about $70/night, 3 star rating, but not as close to town, havent actually stayed here but have heard its ok for the price. about 2kms from GPO

Best Western at Gregory Terrace Typical chain hotel, about $120/night, 2 kms from GPO.

Hotel Astore my sister has stayed here, not too bad for the price (around $80/night) but still about 1.5kms from the GPO.

I would recommend Good Earth, Carianne stayed there on my recommendation & really liked it. BrisNick has also had family stay there & they liked it.

If you are keen on saving some money, why dont you wait til the last minute & book through www.wotif.com ? Feb should be no problems to get a room at short notice (just thinking about it, are you MAD?!?!? Coming to Brisbane in Feb?? :scared: :scared: ).

Hope this helps.

Edit: OK, all the hotel names in the post are actually links, but they dont show up as different coloured to the main text , click on them to go to the websites of all the hotels I have mentioned :lecture:
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

We stayed at manhatton on newstead at breakfast creek wharf ,.it was really nice and modern,nice manager as well (john ferrier)they are apartments and the minimum stay is 1 week,we paid $300ish a week in april,but are paying $530 for sept.
I cant recommend it highly enough.
good luck
donna
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:52 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

I've used www.wotif.com for booking Brisbane hotels, you can get some great deals, we stayed at the Hotel Rendezvous in brisbane for $120 a night and got upgraded!! www.bestrates.com.au is another one.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:51 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

I would like to say a big thank you to all of you, nice to know that there are people out there willing to help.

No im not looking for hotels like Hiltons, Sheratons etc… Reason being 1 – Im going for a whole month 2 – I will be taking some flying lessons, so the less I spend in accommodation the better, anyway why do I need a 5* hotel if im going to be walking around most of the time hehehe exploring what will be possibly my new home.

Thank You
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:31 am
Paddington Brisbane

Have been looking through my bookmarks from my last trip to Brisbane and heres a few more links for you .....

http://www.needitnow.com.au/NeeditNow/NeedItNow.asp
www.explorers.com.au
http://brisbane-serviced-apartments....y.com/home.cfm
www.hgw.com.au

Hope they help