Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane hit by Icy Deluge on 19 May 2005

Brisbane hit by Icy Deluge on 19 May 2005

Old May 20th 2005, 1:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Brisbane hit by Icy Deluge on 19 May 2005

I just saw this in the Online News for Brisbane. http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E952,00.html

Did anyone actually experience it, and confirm that it did happen. I must admit that I did feel a bit cold today, I even had to wear long trousers, and a thicker shirt.

HAILSTORMS ripped across Brisbane's western and northern suburbs last night, blocking roads, felling trees and bringing down powerlines.

The sudden storms caught the city by surprise after the weather bureau's radar failed.

More than 160 homes were damaged, 6400 were left without power, and some cars in peak-hour traffic were stranded in drifts of hailstones up to a metre deep.

As more than 150 lightning strikes hit Brisbane, the city's airport was closed for an hour, stranding 14 passenger jets.

The icy deluge created floods in inner-west suburbs, damaged the Fourex brewery at Milton and forced Toowong-based ABC TV to replace its 7pm news with a NSW bulletin after transmission equipment and offices were inundated.

Brisbane's traffic arteries including the Inner City Bypass, Coronation Drive, Gympie and Sandgate roads were blocked. Some motorists at Milton tried to shovel hail off the road.

The storm cut power to homes in Annerley, Coorparoo, East Brisbane, Norman Park, Holland Park West, Moorooka, Tarragindi, Chelmer, Graceville, Sunnybank and Sherwood. Power was restored to many just before 7pm.

The radar failure meant a warning was not issued until almost half an hour after the first hail strike.

There were no weather bureau warnings before the storms hit Darra about 5.30pm and Indooroopilly 15 minutes later.

At 5.50pm, as drivers battled peak-hour traffic in the deluge, the bureau website showed heavy storms but no hail warnings. It was 5.58pm before any warning appeared.

Bureau spokesman Bruce Gunn said radar equipment failed about 5pm and was not working until after 5.30pm. Warnings were issued as soon as forecasters were able to study the extent of the storms.

"It peaked during that period when our equipment was down," he said.

Mr Gunn said initial reports of storms did not indicate the extent of them. He said a hailstorm in late May was "very unseasonal".

Motorcyclist Carl Davis, 31, of Camira, expected bruises today from the hail.

"I left home and knew it was going to storm but I didn't know it was going to be this bad," he said. "I was stuck behind a truck trying to get shelter then I rode up underneath a bridge."

Fire crews worked to clear thick hail from roads, including Countess St and Caxton St, where residents helped rescue cars stuck in the ice. Pedestrians around Suncorp Stadium found the pea-sized hail was in drifts thick enough for them to make snow figures.

Shaun O'Connor of Milton used the storm to carve a footpath snow angel and fill his esky.

"We thought we'd come and put the beer on ice. It's never tasted better," he said."

Old May 20th 2005, 1:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane hit by Icy Deluge on 19 May 2005

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just saw this in the Online News for Brisbane. http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E952,00.html

Did anyone actually experience it, and confirm that it did happen. I must admit that I did feel a bit cold today, I even had to wear long trousers, and a thicker shirt.
We could see it from our verandah ABC, the lightning was amazing. The clouds themselves were green & swirling, no surprise at all that there was hail in it. Luckily it swung north in front of us (went up through Cooparoo & Norman Park according to that report), so we only got a little bit of the rain from the edge of it. I saw the news reports, there were definitely drifts of hailstones (small ones, as they described, it was pea sized) on the sides of the road in places.
Old May 20th 2005, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw it on the News this morning.

The footage was unbelieveable. I couldnt, for the life of me, believe it was Brisbane. Cars were sliding on the hail, people were sledging in it. In some places it was like a foot of snow had fallen.

Pretty incrediable, for sure.

Hels
Old May 20th 2005, 1:49 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

It took me over 25mins to get from Creek St to the RBH last night - the traffic was bottlenecked like I've never seen it before!

Driving back in this morning, there were piles of hail still along Gympie Road - I even saw one little girl trying to make a snowman out of it
Old May 20th 2005, 1:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
It took me over 25mins to get from Creek St to the RBH last night - the traffic was bottlenecked like I've never seen it before!

Driving back in this morning, there were piles of hail still along Gympie Road - I even saw one little girl trying to make a snowman out of it
It's amazing what can be so close, yet not know anything about it !

We had our windows closed last night so maybe that's why we didn't hear anything.

Old May 20th 2005, 1:57 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We were stuck on Creek St too coming home from work around 5.30pm and we copped it, hailed pretty much non stop for 10-15 mins, luckily for us they were not to big otherwise the car would have took a battering.

There was also a free lightening show the whole time we were stuck in traffic. Its good to know that a little adverse weather brings the whole system to a grinding halt just like back home.

TT

Originally Posted by mlbonner

Old May 20th 2005, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

It's amazing what can be so close, yet not know anything about it !

We had our windows closed last night so maybe that's why we didn't hear anything.

We watched a fantastic lighting 'show' from the Bay to Straddie, seemed to last forever but no hail.
Old May 20th 2005, 3:20 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh, extreme weather hits again!

And still there's below average rain fall expected in Australia this winter, and droughts expected(to continue)
Old May 20th 2005, 3:42 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently according to the news it will all happen again today!

Spalens wife
Old May 20th 2005, 3:49 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

One of my colleagues lives in the area that was badly hit. I will try and get hold of the pictures he took of the hail drifts in front of his house. He has lived here for 40 years and says he has never seen anything like it.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old May 20th 2005, 3:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
Apparently according to the news it will all happen again today!
Spalens wife
I heard that aswell, but nothing on the radar yet http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml

Mind you, the radar didn't have yesterdays either

Old May 20th 2005, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

I heard that aswell, but nothing on the radar yet http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml

Mind you, the radar didn't have yesterdays either
Damn the bayside never seems to get any of the fun / death & destruction weather. It just seems to follow the Brisbane river out to the sea.

Well apart from that twister like storm which went through Manly harbour.

It's just not fair, I want to go sking!!

Z
Old May 20th 2005, 4:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Zentack
Damn the bayside never seems to get any of the fun / death & destruction weather. It just seems to follow the Brisbane river out to the sea.

We even missed that one aswell, being just that little bit further out

Old May 20th 2005, 4:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zentack

That one was scary, I was at cookies house at Manly West holding the back door cos I could see it bowing :scared: . Trees down everywhere (one house on Many Rd still has half of their front wall missing!) & the whole area looked like a bomb site.

Yet 300 yards up the road at the top of Manly Rd & Green Camp Rd there was nothing!

Freaky :scared: .
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Chermside and was hit pretty bad by it, Kedron took the worst of it though. It hailed for a good 20mins and it was if it'd snowed afterwards there was that much hail. Kids next door were doing snow angels, bless!! The big ford garage on Gympie road was hit bad, 220 of their cars were damaged. Hmm...wouldn't like to receive the insurance claim for that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.