British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane heat hell (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-heat-hell-844774/)

Beoz Nov 6th 2014 6:39 am

Re: Brisbane heat hell

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11462886)
Is there a contest going on that dictates each state must come up with the most stupid meaningless, number plate to force on its citizens.

I like the american plates, more a picture background, which captures the beauty or unique feature of that state.

Yes and in this instance Queensland is a winner by a mile.

jad n rich Nov 6th 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11462965)
Yes and in this instance Queensland is a winner by a mile.

Sunshine State is probably not that bad a description?? Smart state only lasted 10 minutes.

If the comp is on again, I would wager they would go, 'World Class' or 'World Leader State', for all brisbaneites who survive the total traffic choas G20 will cause.

rabble_rouser Nov 6th 2014 7:19 am

This thunder sure is frightening but at least its not hot any longer.
If it was going to get any hotter I would have sold my story to the daily mail.

jad n rich Nov 6th 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11462980)

Really :lol: summer and storms have not started yet, this is just a rumble on the storm scale and as for the heat, summer will arrive when eggs fry, candles melt, you arrive home and think the dog has pooped on the floor but realise its just your advent calender melted down the wall:lol:

Molly Coddle Nov 6th 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11462886)
Is there a contest going on that dictates each state must come up with the most stupid meaningless, number plate to force on its citizens.

I don't know but it's amusing,:lol: Aussies sure have weird ways of doing things, it's all new to me! :cool:

moneypenny20 Nov 6th 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11462980)

So we can expect a 'cor wot a scorcher' headline by RR in the next month or so then? Fairly pathetic storm down here and the BOM radar shows it as being quite close.

spouse of scouse Nov 6th 2014 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11462996)
I don't know but it's amusing,:lol: Aussies sure have weird ways of doing things, it's all new to me! :cool:

We're the same in a lot of ways though, Molly. Fr'instance, we all go to the loo the same way. The water in the bowl apparently swirls a different way when you flush in this hemisphere, though. I actually don't believe the last bit :lol:

Molly Coddle Nov 6th 2014 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11463058)
We're the same in a lot of ways though, Molly. Fr'instance, we all go to the loo the same way. The water in the bowl apparently swirls a different way when you flush in this hemisphere, though. I actually don't believe the last bit :lol:

Very true , you've no idea how disappointed I was though when the water went down the plug hole the right way...I flew all this way to see that! And to cuddle a drop bear! Damn you Aussies! Lol. X

Kim67 Nov 6th 2014 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11462970)
Sunshine State is probably not that bad a description?? Smart state only lasted 10 minutes.

If the comp is on again, I would wager they would go, 'World Class' or 'World Leader State', for all brisbaneites who survive the total traffic choas G20 will cause.

I'll let you know how we survive. Currently living in an apartment on the river at Southbank. Think it will be easiest to take the bus to school rather than try to drive the 4km across the exclusion zone. Walking to city will be the go - off to Queensland Ballet's performance of Coppelia at the River Stage this weekend and I think we'll just walk the Good Will Bridge.

Alfresco Nov 6th 2014 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11463687)
Very true , you've no idea how disappointed I was though when the water went down the plug hole the right way...I flew all this way to see that! And to cuddle a drop bear! Damn you Aussies! Lol. X

Beer and wine go down the same way. That's all that really matters. ;)

BadgeIsBack Nov 7th 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11463751)
I'll let you know how we survive. Currently living in an apartment on the river at Southbank. Think it will be easiest to take the bus to school rather than try to drive the 4km across the exclusion zone. Walking to city will be the go - off to Queensland Ballet's performance of Coppelia at the River Stage this weekend and I think we'll just walk the Good Will Bridge.

Enjoy Kim
Enjoy the posts!;)

Kim67 Nov 7th 2014 10:49 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 11464136)
Enjoy Kim
Enjoy the posts!;)

Haha thanks

BadgeIsBack Nov 7th 2014 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11464164)
Haha thanks

Keep flying the flag for SE QLD!

Keep us posted with the Ballet.
Don't do it myself (he he) but there is a family tradition...so who knows..

;)

Pollyana Nov 7th 2014 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11463751)

Its a joke, honestly. I've had an eye appointment cancelled, made 8 months ago, because the clinic is on South Bank and they've decided its easier togive the staff a week off. We also had a trip to Albion dog track planned forworknext Thursday and have now been told the track is closing due to G20.

Kim67 Nov 7th 2014 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11464172)
Its a joke, honestly. I've had an eye appointment cancelled, made 8 months ago, because the clinic is on South Bank and they've decided its easier togive the staff a week off. We also had a trip to Albion dog track planned forworknext Thursday and have now been told the track is closing due to G20.

Well the kids have told me that school is not teaching any new work next week because they're not expecting anyone to turn up. Looks like a week for swimming and studying for exam block. Hope the noisy helicopters don't keep us awake all night though.