British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane heat hell (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-heat-hell-844774/)

rabble_rouser Oct 9th 2014 1:04 pm

Brisbane heat hell

Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.

calman014 Oct 9th 2014 1:12 pm

Re: Brisbane heat hell

Why not leave a little earlier and take a change of clothes?..or keep you work clothes "at work" freshen up when you get there and change?

moneypenny20 Oct 9th 2014 1:15 pm

Blimey, already? I know I'm a 100kms south of you but I'm still in jeans. :lol:

spouse of scouse Oct 9th 2014 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11433082)
Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.

Agree with a change of clothes - do you have shower facilities at work? If not, a quick swish in the hand basin - might want to lock the door if possible!

The new clinical strength deodorants are really good, you can get them in Coles, Woollies etc.

Can you catch a bus on hotter days?

Umm - I can't think of anything else, sorry!

Yes I can - natural fibre clothing - cotton, linen, these fabrics 'breathe', and anything synthetic that has been sweated into will pong. Re the sweat marks, they are less obvious on black or white clothing.

rabble_rouser Oct 9th 2014 1:35 pm

Ok, technically there is a shower at work but then I see all these sweatless babes striding infront of me and think there is some sort of secret to being cool? I intend to use the shower but it seems the cyclists have it fully booked.

The people at work tell me - inbetween my gasps for cool air - that I just need to acclimatise. Its not that I mind the heat but by God how can anyone not sweat at a slow paced walk?

rabble_rouser Oct 9th 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11433132)
Agree with a change of clothes - do you have shower facilities at work? If not, a quick swish in the hand basin - might want to lock the door if possible!

The new clinical strength deodorants are really good, you can get them in Coles, Woollies etc.

Can you catch a bus on hotter days?

Umm - I can't think of anything else, sorry!

Yes I can - natural fibre clothing - cotton, linen, these fabrics 'breathe', and anything synthetic that has been sweated into will pong. Re the sweat marks, they are less obvious on darker clothing, or white.

Good point! I upgraded my wardrobe yesterday to be all natural fibre and short sleeve. It helps for sure, but not enough.

spouse of scouse Oct 9th 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11433142)
Ok, technically there is a shower at work but then I see all these sweatless babes striding infront of me and think there is some sort of secret to being cool? I intend to use the shower but it seems the cyclists have it fully booked.

The people at work tell me - inbetween my gasps for cool air - that I just need to acclimatise. Its not that I mind the heat but by God how can anyone not sweat at a slow paced walk?

Getting used to the climate certainly plays a part. Any excess weight and lack of general fitness will see you sweat more.

spouse of scouse Oct 9th 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11433148)
Good point! I upgraded my wardrobe yesterday to be all natural fibre and short sleeve. It helps for sure, but not enough.

Yep, I don't know that it's possible to totally eliminate sweating. I'm used to the (dry) heat, being a Perthie, but our last trip to KL happened to fall at the beginning of a period of humidity and heat that even the locals were commenting on. 5 minutes and I was drenched, while Scouse strode along merrily, cool as a cucumber. Bastard!

A dicky thermostat courtesy of menopause doesn't help. Try carrying a sports bottle of icy cold water, and having frequent drinks as you walk. Cools you down somewhat.

calman014 Oct 9th 2014 1:46 pm

Then the secret is good mineral water..(not tap water!) drink plenty during the day and always carry a bottle or two with you. Whenever you think you need some then take a swig. In the beginning you tend to need the bathroom more but after a few days it stabilises and in general you can cope with the heat easier with less sweating. Avoid coffee and drink tea only in moderation. Stay off sweetened drinks apart from maybe some orange juice. Don't forget a decent hat that will shade your head/neck and eyes from the sun, preferably with a brim all-around. (military bush-hat type..preferably cotton and loose fitting). Good luck.

Pollyana Oct 9th 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11433142)

You'll probably acclimatise a bit, but the heat travelling into the city is a killer in the summer. One reason why a lot of people work long hours - go in earl, come home late and add the flexitime up. Means the trains are emptier and the walk is cooler. When I worked in the city a lor of people did shower at work, or have half a bath in the wash basin, and many people change their clothes there.
Sweatless babes? Probably hardly wearing any clothes.

Bermudashorts Oct 9th 2014 5:16 pm

Oh dear, it is barely warmed up yet. I would just not do the walk, there must be a bus you can get in the morning and you can still walk home. When I am in Brisbane in the summer, I am staying in a hotel a ten minute walk away, but I still would leave pretty early, say 7am, when it is a bit cooler.

jad n rich Oct 9th 2014 7:54 pm

Sweatless babes? some people just dont sweat, others sweat buckets, apparently sweating buckets is better for you, its your body cooling you down. I dont sweat and the heat in OZ makes me ILL. Hate it. I can drink 4L of water still dont sweat, just pee:lol:

Plus its not summer yet, the babes probably still think its winter, but there was a 35c this week in some parts of brisbane. Once summer arrives you will see and smell! plenty of sweaty people.

Industrial lab strength deodorant, leave the suit at work and change once there? ride you pushy in pretend your sweaty because you just did 20klm in lycra:lol:

OZ summer IMO is the biggest downside to living here and not just in Brisbane either. Bloody awful season. Watch that UV walking too, it will be high enough to be doing damage at 7am in summer.

Kim67 Oct 9th 2014 8:58 pm

It'm still in jeans and long sleeve tshirts in Brisbane, but I did experience sitting in the car with sweaty teenage boy after a couple of games of volleyball last night and realised loads of deodorant season is on its way.

freebo Oct 9th 2014 10:09 pm

Although it has been warm for this time of year its going to get a lot hotter.

When I jump in the car at 6:30 at the moment its about 22C most days, later in summer it will hit about 29C at that time in the morning, on those days we don't venture far from the office aircon when in work clothing.

Grayling Oct 9th 2014 10:13 pm

Logan does get a fair bit hotter than Brisbane and the coastal regions.

It gets even hotter as you go further west to Ipswich and beyond.....as said it has not really got that hot yet....it will get worse and more humid.....and the nights will also get a lot warmer....that can be pretty unpleasant.

bcworld Oct 9th 2014 10:29 pm

Unfortunately this is just the way they like it in Qld...and it will only get worse. Because they reject they idea of daylight savings the sun can be quite high in the sky already during the morning commute. I used to hate it...step out the shower, dry off, start sweating again...humidity is high in the morning. It's a terrible way to start the day...you wouldn't mind if it was on the way home from work. As mentioned, the best solution is probably to shower at work if it bothers you.

jad n rich Oct 9th 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11433832)
Unfortunately this is just the way they like it in Qld...and it will only get worse. Because they reject they idea of daylight savings the sun can be quite high in the sky already during the morning commute. I used to hate it...step out the shower, dry off, start sweating again...humidity is high in the morning. It's a terrible way to start the day...you wouldn't mind if it was on the way home from work. As mentioned, the best solution is probably to shower at work if it bothers you.

I never got used to the light at 4.30 am in summer, that should be the middle of the night. The school run at 8 am it could be 30C on the car.

Big flurry of people exercising, dog walking, beaching, biking by 5am to get out there before it really heats up. Its certainly different, then many have lights out by 8.30 so can repeat again next day :rofl:

freebo Oct 10th 2014 1:10 am

Yeah, we do need daylight savings, AFAIK its well supported in SEQld but not up north, the story goes the farmers are worried it would upset the cows and fade the curtains.

Not having DS is also nuts when doing business with Sydney & Melbourne.

Amazulu Oct 10th 2014 1:50 am

Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work

drive

Alfresco Oct 10th 2014 2:04 am

It will take about 18 months or two summers to acclimatise.

bcworld Oct 10th 2014 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11433952)

Hmmm, not sure about that. I lived there for 5 years, and to be honest I didn't have a problem with the heat in general. But, the one thing I did always hate was the traipse from the train station to the office under the beating sun in the morning for a few months of the year. I know exactly what rabble is referring to.

I love the fact that it cools down at night in Melbourne over summer!

Alfresco Oct 10th 2014 2:53 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11433963)
Hmmm, not sure about that. I lived there for 5 years, and to be honest I didn't have a problem with the heat in general. But, the one thing I did always hate was the traipse from the train station to the office under the beating sun in the morning for a few months of the year. I know exactly what rabble is referring to.

I love the fact that it cools down at night in Melbourne over summer!

Yeah, true. I'm just thinking more along the lines of this time next year he won't be sweating it out as bad at 20°C in the morning with low humidity as the weather is now.

The same happened to me mostly.

bobbyftm Oct 10th 2014 7:09 am

Even after 7 yrs here i can start work at 6am at wacol and be sweating my tits off by 6:10 ( granted i am not in the higher echelon, having no aircon whilst building trucks):lol:

Alfresco Oct 10th 2014 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11433941)
drive

Well, it depends on parking arrangements though, for the OP.

Myself, I ride my motorbike to work with lots of ventilation, but still once I'm walking the few minutes to work I'll be sweating in the humid summer months.

moneypenny20 Oct 10th 2014 9:15 am

We landed 24th November, I had definitely acclimatised by christmas. ;) Following year the duvet didn't come off the bed. :lol:

Bernieboy Oct 10th 2014 9:19 am

You moved to hell,so expect heat.

Pollyana Oct 10th 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 11434158)
You moved to hell,so expect heat.

Yep, been here 11 years, still waiting to acclimatise to hell.....!!

Alfresco Oct 10th 2014 9:40 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11434155)
We landed 24th November, I had definitely acclimatised by christmas. ;) Following year the duvet didn't come off the bed. :lol:

You were obviously born and grew up in the wrong hemisphere. I am so glad you have found a match for your temperature gene. :D

I love the heat too, but I will no doubt have the fan or air-con on during the hot summer nights.

I love it and wouldn't swap it for anything else.

Bernieboy Oct 10th 2014 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11434178)
You were obviously born and grew up in the wrong hemisphere. I am so glad you have found a match for your temperature gene. :D

I love the heat too, but I will no doubt have the fan or air-con on during the hot summer nights.

I love it and wouldn't swap it for anything else.

Not even for a huge biltong sandwich ???

Alfresco Oct 10th 2014 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 11434201)

Now you're talking!! We get those over here too. Easy meat. :thumbup:

Bernieboy Oct 10th 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11434206)
Now you're talking!! We get those over here too. Easy meat. :thumbup:

ALLAH AKBAR !!!!

spouse of scouse Oct 10th 2014 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 11434201)

This biltong thing puzzles me. I know my boys have had it a few times, but it looks very dodgy to me! What does it taste like? (and don't say chicken)

Bernieboy Oct 10th 2014 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11434284)
This biltong thing puzzles me. I know my boys have had it a few times, but it looks very dodgy to me! What does it taste like? (and don't say chicken)

Turkey;)

rabble_rouser Oct 10th 2014 1:55 pm

Granted my own discomfort is just half of it - I worry about what other people think. Nobody appreciates a badly dressed, short, fat, and sweaty IT guy around the office.

Last week in a desperate act, I sewed ice packs into my rucksack. It helped somewhat but proved awkward to move about in and so I abandoned the idea.

So now I am thinking cool vest. I don't even care any longer if I get mocked. At least I will be cool. Again, its not the heat that is the problem, its the office clothes and the sweating.

spouse of scouse Oct 10th 2014 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 11434421)
Turkey;)

No need for name calling :frown:

:lol:

Bernieboy Oct 10th 2014 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11434501)
No need for name calling :frown:

:lol:

Where did i use the word's baboon face ???

Dreamy Oct 10th 2014 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser (Post 11434447)
Granted my own discomfort is just half of it - I worry about what other people think. Nobody appreciates a badly dressed, short, fat, and sweaty IT guy around the office.

Last week in a desperate act, I sewed ice packs into my rucksack. It helped somewhat but proved awkward to move about in and so I abandoned the idea.

So now I am thinking cool vest. I don't even care any longer if I get mocked. At least I will be cool. Again, its not the heat that is the problem, its the office clothes and the sweating.

Probably then, as has been suggested, your best option is to leave your suit jacket at work, wear a t-shirt on the way and pack a shirt in your rucksack (if you roll it rather than fold it, it won't get creased to buggery)

Then a quick sloosh down at work (even if it's just wet wipes and another application of deodorant) and you're all done. Take a ziplock plastic bag to put your sweaty t-shirt in.

NickyC Oct 10th 2014 9:38 pm

Am I the only one thinking this is a wind-up?

'loving Logan'
'upgraded wardrobe yesterday'
'sewed ice packs'?

:sneaky:

Alfresco Oct 10th 2014 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11434284)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong
No, it doesn't taste like chicken unless you eat chicken biltong.

spouse of scouse Oct 10th 2014 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 11434669)
Where did i use the word's baboon face ???

That's true. My apologies, fat head.