Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane, good areas??

Brisbane, good areas??

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
A+V Johnson

Default Re: Brisbane, good areas??

Dear Sophia

We are actually looking for a rental property in Samford for June for at least two
months. however we have sold our house unfortunately otherwise the house swap would
be a good idea. I do Agree with you Samford is beautiful and out of all the areas we
have seen we keep coming back to it. We have actually bought five acres of land in
Wight's Mountain, and are in process of designing our own house. Well do keep in
touch Love Adrian & Roni "timsorrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Another thing of course is how much money do you have to spend on a house? There
    > are good areas, and there are outstanding areas! To some people their ideal home
    > would be waterfront property - but waterfront property has a typical block size of
    > 800sq metres, (around 1/5th acre), or at best a double block 2/5ths acre.
    > Waterfront properties are in the places mentioned before - but don't forget the
    > Gold Coast, such as Runaway bay area. To others, upmarket areas as close to the
    > city as possible is what is their ideal property - and Windsor is expensive and
    > upmarket suburb. But for others - and this is where I'm biased - like large houses
    > on acreage, and dislike suburban areas for living in. On acreage, some prefer
    > seclusion - and some prefer open views - maybe elevated with mountain views.
    >
    > When we emigrated from the UK, we looked for areas that we would consider you'd
    > get more for your money - and initially we looked at 1/2 acre to an acre as
    > being ideal and ended up getting a 2 acre property; now we feel that for our
    > next house (which we hope to build), 5 acres would be absolutely ideal - room to
    > add fruit trees here, garden there, pool, allow the house to be set well back
    > from the road yet still have large front and back gardens, room for extension in
    > the future and still have large expanse of playing area, but not too large to
    > manage. (I used to absolutely hate gardening by the way in the UK, but here it
    > just all seems worth it!).
    >
    > Acreage areas are likely to give you between 1 acre and 5 acres and the areas we
    > found were: Pullenvale, Bridgeman Downs, Samford Valley (&surrounding areas Camp
    > Mountain, Cedar Creek), Eatons Hill, Kenmore Hills, Brookfield. I'll go into detail
    > on my own site soon (www.hotshopping.com.au/emigrate) but for various reasons such
    > as no village/shops nearby, less polished, over expensive, further away from city,
    > no views etc, we rejected the other areas, as one place stands out as the ultimate
    > area which is Samford. It's just 30mins from the city centre - has a great village
    > with good facilities - 30 mins to the coast (Redcliffe/Scarborough), and has a
    > number of areas including Samford Downs with mountain views and a very polished
    > appearance.
    >
    > Amazingly Samford has cheaper land prices (and thus also property prices) than
    > many other acreage areas, yet has the best appearance with the best facilities.
    > After 2.5 years and having visited these other areas on several occasions out of
    > interest, we think Samford and the surrounding area was still the right choice.
    > All the acreage houses I have seen are very individual. For a nice 2500 sq foot
    > house on an acre it will probably be £130k ($350k). Move up to £185k and you get
    > something very large and with the wow! factor. Move to £220k+ and you have
    > prestige 6000sq foot property with excellent location and also intercoms, central
    > vacuum, aircon, landscaped gardens, but will be hard to find (unless you build!).
    > Move to £260k+ and you'll not find anything at this level in Samford - though with
    > this budget you'd be best to build something very nice (there are a couple of
    > projects at this level I have seen). $1million = £370k gets you a nice house on
    > good Waterfront in the Gold Coast on a double size plot (2/5ths acre). It will
    > also get a nice house on 1/2 acre close to the city but of course the costs can
    > get higher there.
    >
    > Typical building cost is $550 per sq metre (£19 / sq ft) but add 20% if you want
    > high quality fittings or special brickwork etc. Also add up to $40k for
    > landscaping, driveway, patio, tiles, gates, etc etc all of which can make you go
    > over budget. I think a large house (on acreage) is considered to be over 60
    > "squares" = 465 sqm = 5000 sq foot.
    >
    > There are still wonderful land blocks being sold and it's quite normal to buy the
    > land and have a house built. I'd recommend first renting or buying, allowing a
    > considerable amount of time to design your dream home to try and avoid mistakes and
    > regrets. If you can, of course buy the land as soon as possible to secure it.
    >
    > Re aircon - yes it's amazing how few houses have it, even though we only use it
    > ourselves when it's around 34 degrees or over, or when the air is unusually still
    > at lower temps. It's even more amazing how Brisbane residents put up with the cold
    > in the winter. Typically if you don't have central aircon, a woodfire or gas fire
    > in the central living area would be used - and maybe an infrared heating bulb in
    > the bathroom, but many don't bother lighting the fire and put up with the cold in
    > their jumpers thinking surely it shouldn't be this cold in Brisbane! The house
    > temperature probably drops down to 15 or 16 degrees if you didn't heat it in mid
    > winter which is uncomfortable. If using aircon to heat the house, the air is
    > circulating, so you end up having to heat it to 25 degrees to make it comfortable,
    > in order to compensate for the breeze you create in the house. In upmarket area
    > you'll find more homes with aircon (and even more pools), but frequently perhaps
    > aircon is only installed in one room like the living room or perhaps the master
    > bedroom. Ducted aircon throughout should be in your £220k+ houses but not
    > necessarily!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > sophia x
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com