Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Gold Coast

Brisbane or Gold Coast

Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough
Default Brisbane or Gold Coast

Hi

Just coming to the finishing stages with Visa application , house on market etc.
The main dilema is where to go. My wife is a Chartered Accountant in the public sector and has recently sat her exams for Australian tax, I am a Purchasing Manager studying for the Queensland Real Estate certificate and hope to obtain employment in that area of work.

We would , especially my daughter like to be in the Gold Coast area, Helensvale, Southport (North GC) etc. She has even started surfing lessons and wants a VW campervan,called me dude the other day.

Dilema, do we need to be nearer Brisbane CBD? Or are there Accountants and real esate jobs in the gold coast area? We will be willing and able to commute approx 30 mins each way so not to tied.

Do we need to concentrate efforts in Brisbane CBD? It looks like Southport area has good employment chances am I right in thinking this?

Now time is getting close the whole area seems to be getting bigger and our heads are starting to spin, feel like the girl in the Exorcist, even looking a little green around the gills.

I know this is down to personal preferences but has anybody any advice!

thanks

Steve
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:04 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brisbane or Gold Coast

I'm no expert in either field, but I've been to the Gold Coast a lot, and there are HEAPS of real estate offices and lots of businesses, so I can't imagine either of you would have any trouble at all.

Good luck!

W
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve & Heather
Hi

Just coming to the finishing stages with Visa application , house on market etc.
The main dilema is where to go. My wife is a Chartered Accountant in the public sector and has recently sat her exams for Australian tax, I am a Purchasing Manager studying for the Queensland Real Estate certificate and hope to obtain employment in that area of work.

We would , especially my daughter like to be in the Gold Coast area, Helensvale, Southport (North GC) etc. She has even started surfing lessons and wants a VW campervan,called me dude the other day.

Dilema, do we need to be nearer Brisbane CBD? Or are there Accountants and real esate jobs in the gold coast area? We will be willing and able to commute approx 30 mins each way so not to tied.

Do we need to concentrate efforts in Brisbane CBD? It looks like Southport area has good employment chances am I right in thinking this?

Now time is getting close the whole area seems to be getting bigger and our heads are starting to spin, feel like the girl in the Exorcist, even looking a little green around the gills.

I know this is down to personal preferences but has anybody any advice!

thanks

Steve
May be worth just getting a holiday let in between the 2 when you get here for a couple of weeks so you can check out were you would like to settle, it seems here in Aus to travel 1 hour on the train each way is the norm I travel 25 mins each way just to work in a factory my wife travels 55 mins each way for her IT job which is in Brisbane's Roma Street
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Absolutely Loads on the gold coast...both.

I'm an accountant (CIMA) and although Brisbane was an option, we decided that if we lived & worked in Brisbane, would may have well stayed in London and got paid a fortune and never saw each other or have a life.

So we chose GC, as that is one of the reasons for coming to Oz.

Also there must be 3 Real estate agencies for each person on the GC...or so it seems if you look at the papers and flyers always coming through the door...

It really comes down to what you want. Other option is to commute, from Helensvale it's an hour of the train straight into CBD.

Good Luck,
Judith
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough

Hi

thanks for the replys.

Judith

How did you find obtaining wor as an Accountatn with the CIMA qualification I am CIPFA.? I have just sat the Australian tax exam in London. Any advice would be most welcome.

Heather
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=steve & Heather]Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Judith

How did you find obtaining work as an Accountant with the CIMA qualification I am CIPFA.? I have just sat the Australian tax exam in London. Any advice would be most welcome.

Heather

Just noticed the spelling.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:32 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Hi Steve & Heather

I noticed from your post that Steve is studying for his Real Estate Certificate. I'm interested in moving into real estate should we be successful with our Visa - looking at the Sunshine Coast. I'm presently looking at courses which I can do online and would be interested if you have any further info/website links which you think might be useful.

Many thanks. Good luck in your new career and future move.

Ali x
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Phone call from agent today VISA Granted. Gold Coast here we come.

Steve
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:39 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
congratulations on getting your visa!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:20 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Hi -

KPMG have a large office on the Gold Coast and there are plenty of accounting practices around - PM if you want more info (my dad works at GC KPMG)

Cheers and congrats on the visa
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:01 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

really? i only know a couple of people out of the 50 or so i work with who do that. i have a 30min walk to work in the CBD. so it's not really normal.

Originally Posted by tabby
it seems here in Aus to travel 1 hour on the train each way is the norm
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Congratulations on getting your visa.

We are trying to decide between the Gold Coast and Brisbane as well. We have relatives on the Gold Coast and have been there twice and really loved it but we are not sure about work there. I work in IT and my huband is a sheet metal worker. We are applying for our visa under his skills as its on the MODL list. We're only just doing the TRA at the moment though so we have got a while to decide. We are not sure which of the two would be best for work.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:00 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
Steve

Well done on getting your visas. The Gold Coast is a beautiful area, as is Brisbane. I would wholly suggest initially staying for a couple of weeks on the GC and spending your time exploring both areas before committing to a perm rental. Please PM me if I can assist you. I have an excellent suburb guide available free to all here

Claire
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:28 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

I have an excellent suburb guide available free to all [/size][/font][color=#000000][font=Trebuchet MS][size=2]

Is there anything like this for Brisbane?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:39 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
I have an excellent suburb guide available free to all [/size][/font][color=#000000][font=Trebuchet MS][size=2]

Is there anything like this for Brisbane?
We are currently working on one for Brisbane. PM me your details & I will get a copy to you ASAP.

Claire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.