Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Girlies Christmas Drinkies!

View Poll Results: Best date for drinks for me is.....
Friday, 3rd December
0%
Friday, 10th December
83.33%
I can't make either of those dates, but would like to come!!
16.67%
Not sure yet.... have to check my diary and get back to you!
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Brisbane Girlies Christmas Drinkies!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Girlies Christmas Drinkies!

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Cool - I was talking to the receptionist of the company that shares our level earlier.. turns out shes from Essex, has been here 4 years. Might see if she fancies a bit of a drink & laugh too next time I see her
Yeah, ask her! I was gobsmacked actually when my new pal agreed, specially as we have only talked on the phone so far. Seems there are lost souls out there who don't know Expats exists......
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:53 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, ask her! I was gobsmacked actually when my new pal agreed, specially as we have only talked on the phone so far. Seems there are lost souls out there who don't know Expats exists......
Doesnt bear thinking about really does it
Old Nov 20th 2004, 9:26 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Question Re: Brisbane Girlies Christmas Drinkies!

Ok, ok, what's all this about?

Newly arrived back in Brissie, though not new to Brissie by a long chalk! Can someone fill me in on some details please?

Where? I believe I've read of at least one previous meet being held at Gilhooleys, Albert Street (*shudder* Charlotte Street one is miles better!) Is it there again?

What time?

Partners? Or girls only?

Or is this an exclusive clubby not for the likes of this lil black duck?!

Old Nov 20th 2004, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

We generally meet in Gilhooleys - cos everyone knows where it is - though in the New Year we are looking to introduce more variety.Its the big one on the corner of Albert and Charlotte, got some tables out the front.
Girlies only - though if a bloke turns up we won't throw him out! It started as girls only so the people with kids had ready-made babysitters, and cos originally we wanted a good gossipy night like some of us used to enjoy in the UK.

Of course you're welcome, we'd love you to join us - 7.45 ish, 10th December - not sure where in Brissie you are, me & Michelle usually get the train down from the north side so you can join us on there if you wish!

Come and join in - only requirements are you need a sense of humour and be able to enjoy yourself. Oh, and liking a drink helps!!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 10:58 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Ok, ok, what's all this about?

Newly arrived back in Brissie, though not new to Brissie by a long chalk! Can someone fill me in on some details please?

Where? I believe I've read of at least one previous meet being held at Gilhooleys, Albert Street (*shudder* Charlotte Street one is miles better!) Is it there again?

What time?

Partners? Or girls only?

Or is this an exclusive clubby not for the likes of this lil black duck?!

Agreed, Charlotte St (downtown Gils) is a lot better - I work next door, so have been in there a bit The other Gils is actually one of my least favourite pubs in Brisbane BUT the company is good & the beer's not bad & I guess thats the important thing!

As Polly says, we were looking to change locations in the New Year - My suggestions would be;
The Victory
Downtown Gils
Fridays
Pig N Whistle (Eagle St)
The Port Office

Any other ideas would be welcomed by all I'm sure!

Hope to see you on the 10th & if you are on the Caboolture/Shorncliff line Polly & I will be able to meet you on the train!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:07 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Hiya,

We generally meet in Gilhooleys - cos everyone knows where it is - though in the New Year we are looking to introduce more variety.Its the big one on the corner of Albert and Charlotte, got some tables out the front.
Girlies only - though if a bloke turns up we won't throw him out! It started as girls only so the people with kids had ready-made babysitters, and cos originally we wanted a good gossipy night like some of us used to enjoy in the UK.

Of course you're welcome, we'd love you to join us - 7.45 ish, 10th December - not sure where in Brissie you are, me & Michelle usually get the train down from the north side so you can join us on there if you wish!

Come and join in - only requirements are you need a sense of humour and be able to enjoy yourself. Oh, and liking a drink helps!!
Thanks Polls! Me soh is always in me pocket - ready to go! I spose you're all locatable within Gilhooleys by the raucous laughter and loud Pommie accents?! How many are you expecting? People, that is, not different Pommie accents!!

I'll try to make it, though no guarantees at this stage. Until I get work, the budget is REALLY tight.

Btw, I'm in The Gap and I loathe buses! Might try for the train from Keperra, perhaps.

And, yes, I am partial to a drop or two (see my avatar; I'm known to have a glass of red to hand oftentimes!)

Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:14 pm
Home and Happy

Generally locatable by the gales of laughter, the fact we have every empty glass in the pub on the table, and somewhere in the vicinity will be a tall purple witch's hat......
We got a table outside last time, that was excellent, but I'll send you my mobile number then if you can't find us just ring.....!

All on tight budgets so never fear, you're among friends. At present we have me, Michelle, Barbara_CH, Kay, Wanderlust, & my new mate from the firies conference. Not sure if there are any others confirmed......?? Not all Poms either, as Barbara is Swiss
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:16 pm
Dismembered Bat

Agreed, Charlotte St (downtown Gils) is a lot better - I work next door, so have been in there a bit The other Gils is actually one of my least favourite pubs in Brisbane BUT the company is good & the beer's not bad & I guess thats the important thing!

As Polly says, we were looking to change locations in the New Year - My suggestions would be;
The Victory
Downtown Gils
Fridays
Pig N Whistle (Eagle St)
The Port Office

Any other ideas would be welcomed by all I'm sure!

Hope to see you on the 10th & if you are on the Caboolture/Shorncliff line Polly & I will be able to meet you on the train!
Is this what it feels like to be popular? Gawd, there's me answering one reply, only to find another there once I'd posted! I'm not used to this sort of response level!!

Thanks also to you, Michelle. I'm actually a member of the Downtown Gils quaffing club! Used to hold my Group's work meetings there a few years back!! Wellllll, any excuse for a change of scenery!

As for new location, forget Fridays. Last time I was there (with a group of smaller and/or younger friends), the waitress referred to me as Mamma!!! The Victory's good, Port Office is not bad, Downtown Gils is more atmospheric, don't know the Pig 'n Whistle, but have heard that the complex it's in is up for a radical change.

Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:21 pm
Home and Happy

Thats what happens when you mention beer and gossip you see
Off to Southport now, back to chat later....

See you on the 10th!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:24 pm
Dismembered Bat

Generally locatable by the gales of laughter, the fact we have every empty glass in the pub on the table, and somewhere in the vicinity will be a tall purple witch's hat......
We got a table outside last time, that was excellent, but I'll send you my mobile number then if you can't find us just ring.....!

All on tight budgets so never fear, you're among friends. At present we have me, Michelle, Barbara_CH, Kay, Wanderlust, & my new mate from the firies conference. Not sure if there are any others confirmed......?? Not all Poms either, as Barbara is Swiss
Outside sounds good to me; less chance of someone complaining about smokers. I drink, smoke and have been known to swear ... still want me?!!

Apologies to Barbara for assuming the Pommie bit. Does this mean a chance to practice my schoolgirl French?! Ooooooh, maybe not!!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:31 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Is this what it feels like to be popular? Gawd, there's me answering one reply, only to find another there once I'd posted! I'm not used to this sort of response level!!

Thanks also to you, Michelle. I'm actually a member of the Downtown Gils quaffing club! Used to hold my Group's work meetings there a few years back!! Wellllll, any excuse for a change of scenery!

As for new location, forget Fridays. Last time I was there (with a group of smaller and/or younger friends), the waitress referred to me as Mamma!!! The Victory's good, Port Office is not bad, Downtown Gils is more atmospheric, don't know the Pig 'n Whistle, but have heard that the complex it's in is up for a radical change.

Fridays I like for a couple of drinks after work, rather than all night. I went there for lunch on Friday - service was rubbish but the food was excellent!

Eagle Street Pier has a proposed demolition and high-rise to be built on it at the moment - havent heard about Riverside though (where Pig N Whistle is) but possibly its all going to happen at the same time.

The Victory is probably a good favourite of mine - lots of choice (live band, pool, DJ, TAB, sausage sizzle etc) to suit everyone

I work in the Comalco building, so literally next door to Gils, you're right, it definitely has more atmosphere than other places.

My budget is pretty tight also - going on holiday first week of Feb, so am trying to save, save, SAVE!! We can all drink on the cheap together!!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:34 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Outside sounds good to me; less chance of someone complaining about smokers. I drink, smoke and have been known to swear ... still want me?!!

font]

Sounds like you'll fit in a treat
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:37 pm
Dismembered Bat

Eagle Street Pier has a proposed demolition and high-rise to be built on it at the moment - havent heard about Riverside though (where Pig N Whistle is) but possibly its all going to happen at the same time.
Oops, my mistake. I thought P'n'W was in Eagle St Pier. I must be getting confused cos it's just a tad early for all this drinking talk!!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:52 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

BUMPITY BUMP
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

BUMPITY BUMP
You beat me to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.