Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Brisbane do you live in?

Which Brisbane do you live in?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which Brisbane do you live in?

Interesting article:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...52-952,00.html

Quote:

"In the other Brisbane, people are working longer, dealing with long commutes and are rarely home. They are living in houses that are dreary and built as an investment rather than as a nice place to live.

The perception is that Australians live this wonderful outdoor lifestyle with a pool in the big back yard whereas the reality is the opposite."

G
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Brisbane do you live in?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Interesting article:

Quote:

"In the other Brisbane, people are working longer, dealing with long commutes and are rarely home. They are living in houses that are dreary and built as an investment rather than as a nice place to live.

The perception is that Australians live this wonderful outdoor lifestyle with a pool in the big back yard whereas the reality is the opposite."

G
it's the good lifestyle for me out at centenary suburbs, nice and leafy.
38 hr week instead of the 80+ I did in the uk. round the pool at the weekend and have the great new friends we have made here, over for dinner.
Got the outlaws coming over for 3 months, arriving tomorrow so will boost the labour force on the gentle reno we are doing. All very good.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:39 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

It's the good lifestyle for us too in Springfield Lakes. Been here just over 2 years, came with 'nowt' apart from bad health due to stress of work in UK (hubby was a senior manager in the NHS and I was a retail manager).

2 years down the line we are happier, healthier, work less hours for more money, have none of the stress and after having nothing (literally our last 2 salaries in the UK) we have just bought our dream home and at the ripe old age of 43 hubby takes his driving test on Friday and is the proud owner of a cracking little 4WD.

We have met some wonderful people who have become firm friends and have just found out my eldest daughter,hubby and 2 boys have just applied for their visas

So we are definately not in the 'other' Brisbane.

Loz x
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Interesting article:

Quote:

G
I obviously do not live in Brisbane then

Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:18 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of "new suburbs" appearing which may be 25km from the city and have houses on small blocks with no greenery nearby but that is no bad thing.

It is still possible for new buyers to get a new house in outer Brisbane for under $500k. Rather than pay more of a mortgage for a leaffier more established suburb closer to the city these people choose to pay less on housing but offset by more time commuting.

Brisbane is full of houses on large blocks in leafy suburbs with backyard pools but you do have to pay for that.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which one I live in.

There can not be many leafier areas than where I live but I don't have a pool.......and very few of the houses round here do.

Yet is a very expensive area and only 3km from the centre.

It also seems to be full of people mortgaged to the hilt simply for wanting to live here.......plus a lot of wealthy people.

Perhaps there are more than 2 Brisbanes

G
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure which one I live in.

There can not be many leafier areas than where I live but I don't have a pool.......and very few of the houses round here do.

Yet is a very expensive area and only 3km from the centre.

It also seems to be full of people mortgaged to the hilt simply for wanting to live here.......plus a lot of wealthy people.

G
same in every city surely. I'm from Edinburgh, a great city to live in but there is a big difference in housing and quality of life all over the city. not many have pools either
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:03 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article:

Quote:

G

I certainly live the later lifestyle.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article:

Quote:

G
Our house in Brisbane (we're not currently living there) is on 809m2 block, 6km from the city - nice and leafy suburb. We don't have a pool, but most of kids friends do. BBQ's on the deck are a weekly occurrence. Loads of things for the kids to do very close to home - can't wait to get back there in a couple of years.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Bet there are as many as you can count on the fingers of both hands. C'est la vie.