Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane creatures

Wikiposts

Brisbane creatures

Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane creatures

Originally Posted by oliver1982
If you get somewhere reasonably modern and with fly screens then you should be fine.

I've had two massive huntsman spiders in a year, so not too bad. We have tiny cockroaches that come out at night (at the moment I'm killing maybe two each day).

Some ants come out for a wonder in the evenings (but it's always one ant on their own - one of those big ones that look like walking wasps).

Oh yeah, and last week we had a RAT come down from the attic and chew his way through the cupboard door then proceeded to play hide and seek in the house.
Hi! Oliver,
BY the way, didnt see any rats saw a snake(not in the house), but couldnt tell you what type it was.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:30 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Except the roaches, who are the spawn of the devil....they wait till you are relaxed and then fly at you when you least expect it

Ants hunt in packs and have even resistant to microwaving.
Yeah it's not fair when they fly, why can't they just crawl like all the other well behaved little beasties?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Sounds as if the house you were in needed a good dose of 'Moretin'!!!! I wouldn't say that that level of creatures is the norm.

We don't mass treat our house as we have a large population of geckos (inside and out ) and Mortein etc.. kills them also

Cockroaches are kept under control with 'nest kill' bait traps placed in strategic spots and the dog dismembers any that get through. I'm not too bothered about spiders, but red backs are dispatched with via a quick spray of 'Home Brand' cheapo insect spray (I wouldn't bother, but take no chances as I have a toddler). Everything else gets left alone or moved outside if too big and hairy...we mostly have 'daddy long legs' spiders here.Ants are usually about, but can be minimised by leaving everything spotless, ensuring that no food particles are left behind. If I do get a troop on a rekkie I spray the entry point with the affore mentioned spray.

Insects definately rule here...amazing things! I especially love the Praying Mantis and the beauty of the huge Crickets, the Stag Horn Beetles that 'hiss' and a miriad of other (previously unseen/imagined) amazing bugs in all shapes, colours and sizes.
Hi Jan.
The level of creature that we were getting did throw me off a bit. The people that owned the house had just started to rent it out. Had noticed that all the neighbours didn't seem to be having the problems that we were. Did notice that a couple of neighbours had a lorry come round and spray all the gardens, perhaps that's why they all ran round to ours. The bait traps are a very good idea, think they have those in America. I tried the spray at entry points for the ants but they just seemed to move to a different location(coming up wall into the rain vent holes in the bedroom windows). The other thing we used to get the cockroaches inside the barbie, no matter how much we cleaned it after using it they would be inside it. Have you come across this at all. Still fantastic to see all the amazing creatures i quite agree. Saw a praying mantis on our patio, and it was such a feeling that we had had the opportunity to see something like that. My favourite are the parrots and kookaburras, cant wait to be able to get back and see them again.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:27 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Hi! Oliver,
BY the way, didnt see any rats saw a snake(not in the house), but couldnt tell you what type it was.
Not sure what kind of ants these are. They're like a big globe at each end of their body joined together by a really, really thin body. Looks like a piece of wire with two balls on either end. They're really slow and walk around on their own. Kind of an orange colour. Seem friendly enough but I'm not about to stand on one! We're on Southside, 5 kms from the CBD.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure what kind of ants these are. They're like a big globe at each end of their body joined together by a really, really thin body. Looks like a piece of wire with two balls on either end. They're really slow and walk around on their own. Kind of an orange colour. Seem friendly enough but I'm not about to stand on one! We're on Southside, 5 kms from the CBD.
Oh! I do know what you mean now you explained what they look like. Didn't get them in side, was on the patio that i saw them. I quite liked those ones, didn't have any trouble from them.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nerine
Yeah it's not fair when they fly, why can't they just crawl like all the other well behaved little beasties?
Didnt see them fly.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think you were just incredibly unlucky I'm not in Brissie obviously but if I'd had anything remotely like you had I would have lasted 5 seconds. Have the house sprayed inside and out once a year. Keep grass short and tidy, keep outside areas clean and tidy and you shouldn't see anything. We had a bit of a problem with German Cockroaches when we first got here but the house was very damp and hadn't been looked after. Sorted the damp problem, had the house sprayed, kept it clean, cleaned the grease pit out and no problem.
Dont get me wrong, Am a very clean and tidy person when it comes to our house, anything infact. Think thats what freeked me out about the creatures in the home, because i keep it spotless couldnt understand why they liked ours so much.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

The only ants I've seen here are black. But fire ants are allegedly "brown".

Are these fire ants? Maybe you should look up the phone book to see if there's somewhere you can call to have someone come to you and have a look at them.

When we first came here we were amazed at the posters saying "we will get the last fire ant". Turns out they came over from South America in a container that was delivered to the Port of Brisbane and then delivered to somewhere outside the city, (sorry, can't remember where). If you see them you shouldn't try to disturb the "nest". The fire ants are a very nasty species.

Are your orange ants all the same size? I was surprised to hear that fire ants are one of the few species of ant where they can be of differing sizes and all live in the same community.

If I were you, (and I'm not), I'd definately be getting them checked out.

M
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think you were just incredibly unlucky I'm not in Brissie obviously but if I'd had anything remotely like you had I would have lasted 5 seconds. Have the house sprayed inside and out once a year. Keep grass short and tidy, keep outside areas clean and tidy and you shouldn't see anything. We had a bit of a problem with German Cockroaches when we first got here but the house was very damp and hadn't been looked after. Sorted the damp problem, had the house sprayed, kept it clean, cleaned the grease pit out and no problem.
Because we were clean and tidy in and out the house and still getting creatures, thats why i wanted to know if we should be spraying everything in and out on a regular basis. The thing is as i have metioned before, i am not keen on the sprays and wondered if it was nessesary to use them, and if there were any other options.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:08 am

We only get the flying ones if we leave the screen doors open at night, otherwise it's mostly the little roaches that come in now and again.

I think they find a way in under the garage door and into the house that way, I also suspect that they come through those floor drains in wet areas (the bathrooms and laundry room) we just spray around the garage and I bung some drain cleaner down the holes when I remember to.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nerine
We only get the flying ones if we leave the screen doors open at night, otherwise it's mostly the little roaches that come in now and again.

I think they find a way in under the garage door and into the house that way, I also suspect that they come through those floor drains in wet areas (the bathrooms and laundry room) we just spray around the garage and I bung some drain cleaner down the holes when I remember to.
Do cockroaches go in water, didnt realise they would come up those drains in the bathroom.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:04 pm

I don't see why not, they'd certainly seek it out for drinking. And I wouldn't put it past the little blighters to nest in the damp pipework above the waterline.

Edit.
German cockroaches can swim http://www.bromley.gov.uk/environmen...ch_german.htmv and they are widespread in Oz http://www.sandgatepest.com.au/pest-information.html#2

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 11th 2008 at 12:08 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Nerine;6050438]I don't see why not, they'd certainly seek it out for drinking. And I wouldn't put it past the little blighters to nest in the damp pipework above the waterline.

Edit.
German cockroaches can swim http://www.bromley.gov.uk/environmen...ch_german.htmv and they are widespread in Oz http://www.sandgatepest.com.au/pest-information.html#2[/QUOTE

Errrrrrrrr!!!!!! Thats not nice.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

If you use Moretein and sprays round your house and garden to control the creatures would it be harmful to your dogs and cats?