Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane creatures

Brisbane creatures

Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane creatures

Has anyone had trouble with the creatures in Brisbane, meaning spiders,ants and cockroaches. Couldnt wait to get back to uk, but now want to go back and it worries me how to cope with them.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:59 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane creatures

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Has anyone had trouble with the creatures in Brisbane, meaning spiders,ants and cockroaches. Couldnt wait to get back to uk, but now want to go back and it worries me how to cope with them.
They're not a problem at all!!

Depends where exactly you are as to how many you will see, but in general - they will leave you be if you leave them be!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Depends where exactly you are as to how many you will see, but in general - they will leave you be if you leave them be!
Except the roaches, who are the spawn of the devil....they wait till you are relaxed and then fly at you when you least expect it

Ants hunt in packs and have even resistant to microwaving.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

We found them a big problem,ants were coming through the ceiling rose and through the wardrobes. Woke up one morning to find that there was a motorway run of them going from the wardrobe acrooss floor, up and across our son which was in bed asleep. If we blocked one hole they would come through somewhere else. Even walking out to put washing on the line i had them run all over me. The cockroaches would hide in the runners of the doors and when i opened them (especially in the morning) they would drop on top of me,which i didnt take kindly too.Spiders were not too bad, allways had five or six redback spiders every morning to deal with.
And allso a huge spider(very much like a trapdoor) run for my feet very early in morning. We had a new house up north lakes area. Not sure if people take this as everyday thing in Brisbane and we were just not used to it, or just unlucky.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:18 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

We found them a big problem,ants were coming through the ceiling rose and through the wardrobes. Woke up one morning to find that there was a motorway run of them going from the wardrobe acrooss floor, up and across our son which was in bed asleep. If we blocked one hole they would come through somewhere else. Even walking out to put washing on the line i had them run all over me. The cockroaches would hide in the runners of the doors and when i opened them (especially in the morning) they would drop on top of me,which i didnt take kindly too.Spiders were not too bad, allways had five or six redback spiders every morning to deal with.
And allso a huge spider(very much like a trapdoor) run for my feet very early in morning. We had a new house up north lakes area. Not sure if people take this as everyday thing in Brisbane and we were just not used to it, or just unlucky.
We have been in Redcliffe for 6 months now (not far from NL's) - never experienced anything like this at all!!!!

We spray the garden with ant killer twice a month, the house was treated when we moved in - get nothing bar the very rare dead cockroach in the house!
Yes, there are motorways of ants in the garden, but they are manageable with some good poison and to be honest, they stay away from the house so not really a problem.

We live in a house very near to the waterfront - maybe this dictates how many nasties we get?? Who knows?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

We have been in Redcliffe for 6 months now (not far from NL's) - never experienced anything like this at all!!!!

We spray the garden with ant killer twice a month, the house was treated when we moved in - get nothing bar the very rare dead cockroach in the house!
Yes, there are motorways of ants in the garden, but they are manageable with some good poison and to be honest, they stay away from the house so not really a problem.

We live in a house very near to the waterfront - maybe this dictates how many nasties we get?? Who knows?
So do you have to spray everything outside the house continually to keep all the nasties away. If so, then surely that cant be good for you, thought it was better for pollution e,c,t.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:38 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, got all of those in spades, we are learning to co-exist though ... it's the termites (white ants) that need real attention though.

Short of living in a hermetically-sealed bubble I think the relaxed approach is the go.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Yup, got all of those in spades, we are learning to co-exist though ... it's the termites (white ants) that need real attention though.

Short of living in a hermetically-sealed bubble I think the relaxed approach is the go.
I think we were unlucky, the house was near lots of open space and fields and all the creatures must have come off from them.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:06 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for the Koala bears, they look cute in pictures but they will have ya !

Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:10 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we were unlucky, the house was near lots of open space and fields and all the creatures must have come off from them.
Sounds like a fair assumption, either that or they bussed in
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Does everyone have to continually spray there houses and gardens to keep everything away or is it just a case of saying my house is there house. what if you have a health condition that you cant have the sprays, would your house just be over run with creatures.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have allso read that most households in brisbane have a dog to let them know for snakes e,c,t coming near the house, is that true?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:36 pm
andy

kenneally is an unknown quantity at this point

moving to north lakes in july,cant say that i feel any better about moving after reading this thread but must be better than here
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kenneally
moving to north lakes in july,cant say that i feel any better about moving after reading this thread but must be better than here
ooohhh you are so putting me off moving .. stop it now!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

So sorry, did not mean to put anyone off going to aus. Please its not quite as bad as it reads and believe me i have been before and trying to get back again, and if it was that bad then i wouldn't be going back. Was just trying to find out from people that had lived there a long time what the dun thing is to do. Have rented three houses before in aus and did not have any problems. But the last house before we came back hadn't had good upkeep before we went in it and i think that we had the outcome of that. I like the creatures and like to see them, but had been told you were supposed to have your house sprayed every three months, and just wanted to know if this was true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.